Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 To Launch 10Gb Cap HSDPA package for €20 a month today

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well feck it!!...its slow tonite.....had to revert to dial up....i suppose its the rain or maybe theres more users in my area hogging the bandwith??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sounds woeful tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's desperately slow again this evening, having worked fine during the day (and so, I'm eliminating the weather). I'm starting to wonder should I have waited a while longer for Vodafone's package to come down in price and to see what O2 will come out with? Three have signed up so many people of late that they've probably become a victim of their own success. The contention rate must be sky high now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

so how many users does it take for the connection speed to drop and in what size area??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

In a remote area the speed has dropped a fair bit too since the weekend.
    Still usable for me lucky enough. Current max 1006 kbps.

Very unlikely to be many users on the cell here. 5 bars on HSDPA.
    Must be a load on the whole network?

Also, the datacard and usb modem are no longer available on the 3 website.
    Google has cached pages from 17th, so they were removed recently.
    Wonder why?

Anyone rang support yet about it? Might give a ring tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mullins07 wrote:
    Wonder why?

They are still available.
    http://www.3ireland.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm

I get 'Page can't be found' for that link...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mullins07 wrote:
    I get 'Page can't be found' for that link...
    Not me. :confused: Weird.
    I can even select the modem and go right through the checkout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they have run out owing to 'unprecedented demand' but they will have more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Is this type of BB any good for gaming ?
    The game that im talking about would be WoW ? Also just to dl some small files and also surf the net ?

What do people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

not suitable for gaming, no.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    not suitable for gaming, no.

dOh!
    Thanks Fuzzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Mullins07 wrote:
    In a remote area the speed has dropped a fair bit too since the weekend.
    Still usable for me lucky enough. Current max 1006 kbps.

Very unlikely to be many users on the cell here. 5 bars on HSDPA.
    Must be a load on the whole network?

Wonder why?

I rang them yesterday - it's been escalated, (altho' I'm not sure if it's the "I'll escalate to get rid of you" or "I'll escalate to help you" type of escalation).

BadCharlie wrote:
    Is this type of BB any good for gaming ?
    The game that im talking about would be WoW ? Also just to dl some small files and also surf the net ?

What do people think.

I am using this for playing the LOTRO MMORPG, a lot of the time with 2 accounts running. I had got WOW running for a few days fine on it till WOW account expired.

I use a ping test widget and the pings rarely time out and remain fairly steady, which is more important than speed for me.

Even with the notable speed decreases the connection to LOTRO servers remains good and typical latency playing is from 130 - 170 ms for me, which in an MMORPG is not too bad.

Mullins07 wrote:
    I am using this for playing the LOTRO MMORPG, a lot of the time with 2 accounts running. I had got WOW running for a few days fine on it till WOW account expired.

I use a ping test widget and the pings rarely time out and remain fairly steady, which is more important than speed for me.

Even with the notable speed decreases the connection to LOTRO servers remains good and typical latency playing is from 130 - 170 ms for me, which in an MMORPG is not too bad.

Anyone else use's 3 to play WoW ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

I'm playing LOTRO with it too. Works fine

Did try an FPS briefly too and it seemed ok. But I'm sh*te at those, so didn't give it much time.

ablelocks wrote:
    I rang them yesterday - it's been escalated, (altho' I'm not sure if it's the "I'll escalate to get rid of you" or "I'll escalate to help you" type of escalation).

What do you mean by escalated? Just wonderin' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

3 is working better than it ever has for me this evening. And only 1 bar... Signal strength does not seem to be as important since yesterday i had 2 bars and had crappy dl speeds. Over 100kB a sec. Not bad... I was maxing out at 20 before.

x

Alas I wish I could say the same. It's not as bad this evening as it was the last few nights (which, let's face it, were like being back in dial-up hell) but still it keeps dropping back to 3G a lot. Put it like this - if it stays at HDSPA for more than a minute I'm doing well. The blue/green lights on the thing will be burned out in no time.

Xcellor wrote:
    3 is working better than it ever has for me this evening. And only 1 bar... Signal strength does not seem to be as important since yesterday i had 2 bars and had crappy dl speeds. Over 100kB a sec. Not bad... I was maxing out at 20 before.

x

Have you not massively exceeded the 10GB limit there?
    Maybe I am reading it wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Firetrap wrote:
    What do you mean by escalated? Just wonderin' :)

so am I! I assume to technical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm based in westmeath, my nearest 3 mast is about 7 miles away in athlone. I signed up for this on friday last after checking the coverage on three.ie and seeing i was in a 3g area (by about 200 yards). Still being skeptical i rang 3 CC and the robot told me and i quote "your area is in good coverage" So i went ahead and bought it (after an additional 50 euro dep as threes credit check dept have no concept of irish adresses).

I fully expected it not to work as i had tried the vodafone one a few months ago and only got GPRS, so it came as no surprise when after install i got nothing on the pc in my home office. Remembering that someone on this site tried putting their modem in a window i tried it on my pc in another room and success! Despite having no signal bars, the 3 logo appeared and i could connect at HSDPA

I ran a speed test and it showed me that i was getting no better than ISDN approx 120-150kbps, which i suppose is to be expected with no signal bars. However, i decided to chance a call to 3 CC and this robot told me that there was "temporary coverage issues in certain areas and my area was one" and if its not rectified in about 48 hours to bring back my modem for a refund. Fine i thought, i'll wait a few days.

Saturday evening after work i tried it again with the same results, no bars, but my speed had slightly improved (up 250 kbps) Up to this point surfing was fine, but it was pretty useless for anything else.

Then it started. After a few hours break the 619 errors started, i could not connect at all, so i gave up and went to bed. This morning the signal alternates between 3G and HSDPA so much it is making surfing impossible and i'm getting occasional 619's

Has anyone had similar problems and found any solutions? or is it all at 3's end? I would read back through this thread but it took me 10 mins just to log in and get to this thread, so apologies if this has already been covered.

Face it, it doesn't work for your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

BostonB wrote:
    Face it, it doesn't work for your area.
    Bull. If it worked once, it can work again. Alternating between ordinary UMTS and HDSPA is still 3G coverage either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Bull. If it worked once, it can work again. Alternating between ordinary UMTS and HDSPA is still 3G coverage either way.

Cell breathing :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Anyone know if this works in Ballon, about 10 miles outside Carlow town heading fo rRosslaire !
    And is anyone using it in Ballon.. and what speeds are they getting ?

cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

not sure about 3, but O2 have 3G/HSDPA in Carlow Town and Tullow, with Powerstown also on the way

By "working" I didn't realise you meant an unreliable and inconsistent connection with poor support, and slow speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cheers Jnive,
    I am located about 10 miles from Carlow and 10 miles from Tullow town.. Ballon is a small town

I am new to this wirless, coming form dublin and landline broadband..

I can get a good signal on 02 mobiles, vodafone is not the best ..
    not even sure if that relevant..

• Advertisement
Advertisement