Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password protected screenscaver - cannot unlock XP

• 23-05-2007 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I've a password proctected screensaver enabled in XP, set for 10 minutes.

When the screensaver comes on I am unable to unlock the computer to get back to the desktop as I am unable to focus on the username and password fields as they are greyed out. The username field is also empty, it's always had my logon username in there by default before.

This started happening when I entabled autologn in the registry. Anyone know what he problem is?

Edit: I have to force a power down and power up again to get logged in again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

was just gonna say that power down and restart...

why have a password enabled screensaver if you enable autologon?

disable password protection on screensaver imo or disable autologon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Unfortunately, I need both enabled for what I want to do.

I need autologon to launch a program before the office opens in the morning and then I have the screesaver kick in after one minute for the security.

I'm really puzzled about the problem though. I mean why does Windows give the logon prompt and then disable focus on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Question for you, if you manually lock the screen
    (by pressing Windows Key + L)
    are the username and password boxes still greyed out?

The following is just my opinion but it is what I would do:

I would remove the auto login feature and the password protected screensaver altogether first - get it back to requiring a user password/login as normal. I'd then make absolutely, positively SURE that it booted (and locked and was able to unlock etc.) as normal without the freaky greyed out boxes :)

I'd then start from scratch and do something like this :

-> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6035692.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I use to have this problem and due to my own laziness I just stuck a paper weight on the keyboard while I went away. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

what program are you getting it to run?
    would you not be better running the program as a scheduled task and leave the machine logged on and locked?

running a program at startup and then locking the computer with screensaver after 1 min seems pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The machine does an auto boot and logon at 8am before the office is opened in the morning. Then the screensaver is activated, again before the office opens. It's for a staff member who may or may not be in the office on any particular day. After logon, MS Outlook is auto launched and a rule is defined to forward emails to another account depending on who the sender is.

This a workaround as the mail server can't do it.

Advertisement