Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to start My garden

Options
  • 23-05-2007 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am building a dog enclosure for my dog so i can start my garden.

It is huge so im looking for nice trees and flowers etc??

Anybody know where to get good but not overly expensive trees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's a bit late to be planting trees now, you'll spend your whole time out in the garden with a hose. Buy a few bedding plants and pretty it up for the moment and then tackle it for real in Autumn, a lot of nurseries will be advertising then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree with bmaxi, wait till autumn.

In the meantime, find out what species of trees & shrubs are native to your area and try to plant those. Plant whips (very small trees, like twigs), as they have a better chance of survival than more mature trees, also they are an awful lot cheaper.

If you are planting in a large area, as opposed to a row, then plant the trees in clumps of 5 or 7. E.G. you have 5 poplar in one spot, and 7 dogwoods together, then 5 scots pine, etc. etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Draw up a rough plan of the garden and plan where you want trees, flower beds etc.....you can plant container grown plants/shrubs now but remember the larger they are the more watering they will need during a dry spell, so autumn is preferable.

Buy your plants, trees ideally from a nursery as they are cheaper than the regular garden centres. In nurseries usually, when you buy large amounts you get a discount. The smaller a shrub/tree is the cheaper it is so if you want your garden to develop fast you must be willing to pay more for the extra growth.

good luck

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

any of the town fairs will have people selling cheaper trees and plants. i got a japenese maple in the dunderry for about a third of the garden centre prices

Advertisement