Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handicap question...

• 23-05-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

When I joined a golf club I recieved a handicap of 18.4 therfore my playing handicap is 18 (I just wish I could paly to this) I just checked www.golfnet.ie and after submitting a few scorecards I have moved out to 18.6 but my playing handicap is still 18. I thought they rounded up. I was looking forward to having an extra shot on the index 1's.

Is this an error and can I play off 19?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Yeah it definitely is rounded up in most cases AFAIK. But I'm just wondering if they stop doing this if your handicap is 18+ or something.

Couldnt be sure though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

If the irish system is the same as Scotland's (which it usually is) then your handicap is rounded up all the way to 28.

If you are 18.6... you are 19.

18.4 would be 18, 18.5 would be 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

If you have a handicap of 18.4 on 01st May and get 0.1 back, in May, your handicap will be 18.5 on 01st June.

0.1 back does not count until the beginning of the following month.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Playing handicap is your exact handicap rounded up if it is .5 or higher and rounded down if it is .4 or lower. As far as I know you do not immediately get credited with the "point ones" you receive. I know in my club that you get credit for them at the end of the month. So your playing handicap next month will be 19. This is not the case if your handicap gets cut however - a downward adjustment is made to your playing handicap immediately.

As I say I am open to correction on this but I think it is right, certainly for individual strokeplay events. There are some inter-club competitions (Barton Cup for example) and possibly some club competitions (matchplay championships) where you play off your start of competition handicap for the entire competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Davittdr

Thanks for the quick responses, all score cards were submitted in May so maybe that is why my playing handicap is still 18 and will change to 19 on June 1st.

Would it be ethical to use a 19 handicap in a charity type compitition I am playing in tomorrow? I would not be submitting the card for handicap purposes.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

might be too late but NO it would still be breaking the rules and if your team wins you scorecard goes back to your home club anyway.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Davittdr wrote:
    Thanks for the quick responses, all score cards were submitted in May so maybe that is why my playing handicap is still 18 and will change to 19 on June 1st.

Would it be ethical to use a 19 handicap in a charity type compitition I am playing in tomorrow? I would not be submitting the card for handicap purposes.

Thanks

Your official playing handicap is still 18 until June 1st so it wouldn't be right or ethical to play off 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

denachoman wrote:
    There are some inter-club competitions (Barton Cup for example) and possibly some club competitions (matchplay championships) where you play off your start of competition handicap for the entire competition.

These inter-club competitions use a player's lowest handicap from the previous season, i.e. if you were playing off 9 (9.4 to be exact) last Summer and managed to get a couple of .1's back in Singles comps before the season ended, you would have been playing of 10 (9.6) during the Winter. Now, let's say you had a slow start to this season and you were still playing off 10, and were picked to play in your club's Barton Cup team. You would have to play off your lowest hcap from last season, 9, for the duration of this competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Davittdr wrote:

Thanks

For you to play off 19 would be cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Davittdr

18 it is so, not that I will be in the prizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Your handicap is rounded up on the first of the next month

Advertisement