Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is making a career in sound engineering and film similar?

• 23-05-2007 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I've worked in sound and imagine there are parallels between the two. I've read where people go on and on about how a college background isn't what makes a career and I agree but only to a certain point. In the world of audio at least the education of a quality course definitely gives a level of understanding that can be of tremendous benefit in the short and long run. Is film the same?

Most of the audio courses out there are diploma courses only up to 1 year whereas there are many film degree courses spanning several years. Are 1 year film diploma courses given any respect? Surely a degree offers at least some sort of security in finding a career? Or is it like a fine art degree where people rarely get any career offers/breaks based on the fact of the degree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

honestly, its how you spend your time in that degree.

I did a 3 year course in filmmaking in cmabridge, england. I finished last june and as of right now, only about 3 students from my year are working in tv or filmat the moment. The rest are sort of stuck in either retail work or are studying a masters degree.

The reason those 3 went on to work so soon, is because of both luck (family or friend in the industry) and that they spent their time in the course putting together a somewhat decent portfolio and CV.

So a degree is mostly worth it because it gives you 3-4 years of free access to equipment and you are surronded by people with a common interest. Use it, make many short films, film many events and take any work experiance jobs that show up.

dont rely solely on the degree itself to carry you, push the work you did during the time instead. The technology you learnt and the skills you developed.

Advertisement