Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh Noes! Bronze age find on Airport road.

• 23-05-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

See the Waterford Today front page? The discovery was a while back which may explain the speed to work but what if they end up doing a big dig?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

mike65 wrote:
    See the Waterford Today front page? The discovery was a while back which may explain the speed to work but what if they end up doing a big dig?

Mike.

The one good thing about this is the fact that the road is in County Waterford, and Mr McCann will not travel down to Dungarvan to lodge an objection to the road.... :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote:
    The one good thing about this is the fact that the road is in County Waterford, and Mr McCann will not travel down to Dungarvan to lodge an objection to the road.... :D

Ill have you know young Sir that Mr McAnn has the full support of the people.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

That sir we shall find out tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

He'd be knackered from the cycle, he may have to fume over it from the ivory tower he lives in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

whats wrong with this country?
    its seen as a bad thing when we find anything of historical value?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Cabaal wrote:
    whats wrong with this country?
    its seen as a bad thing when we find anything of historical value?
    :rolleyes:

Lucky we keep building roads or we would never find anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

well i dunno, would be nice to dig up some very old non useful things but sooner its over and done with and we can expand the airport the better, imagine the econmic effects a larger airport can have which could land 747s etc on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats the story with that road - its been closed the last while for "essentail repairs"? Last time I drove out (whilst it was closed) they had just dug up segments of the road and covered it with gravel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno, but for some reason I can't spot they have been relaying sections on most roundabouts on the ORR. Anyone got some inside info?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I dunno, but for some reason I can't spot they have been relaying sections on most roundabouts on the ORR. Anyone got some inside info?

Mike.

Ya dunno what the story there is, and they are working late enough doing it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It would be one thing if we were digging up Nephertitis left right and centre, but all these projects are being halted by finds like urns and pots, etc. All very interesting up to a point. Sooner or later you have to cut the living a break and let them build some ****.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    It would be one thing if we were digging up Nephertitis left right and centre, but all these projects are being halted by finds like urns and pots, etc. All very interesting up to a point. Sooner or later you have to cut the living a break and let them build some ****.

I'm sure that was the argument for Dublin CoCo in the 70't when they built their new offices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm sure that was the argument for Dublin CoCo in the 70't when they built their new offices :)

Are you one of these people that don't get that things are relative, not black and white? You cannot even begin to compare the destruction of Wood Quay with trampelling over a few urns on an insignificant site.

The fact is, I could probably find a few bronze age trinkets if I dug up my back garden, but that shouldn't mean that I can't do anything with my garden. There has to be some balance to all this.

I am delighted that we are all in favour of protecting historic structures and in excavating along the route of construction projects. What I am not so delighted about is that even when there is no trace of something whatsoever about the ground, and nothing that would look in any way interesting if it wasn't completely reconstructed, we still find it impossible to be able to build a bloody road in this state. Now, in exceptional cases, such as Wood Quay and the Viking find in Waterford, allowances should be/have been made for the significance of the finds BUT most sites aren't anywhere near as significant.

I am a big fan of history and archaeology, but I am also a big fan of doing things that make people's lives easier. Things like roads, when they are warranted, not only increase people's quality of life, but they save lives too. For every hold up for every silly little site found along the roate of every road in Ireland, lives are lost. Lives are lost because the old roads are more dangerous and because the emergency services are hindered and take more time to reach their destinations. We have to have some balance.

Advertisement