Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roof bars

Options
  • 23-05-2007 11:12am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know a good supplier of roof bars/racks in Ireland?

Some good ones on eBay but I'm put off by the shipping to Ireland from UK - one place quoted me £30 (sterling).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Try the likes of Halfords. Otherwise the manufacture rack is probably your best bet. I bought the Ford one to fit my Mondeo, I use it very regulary for carrying Kayaks and have never had a problem with it. They are designed speficily for the car and it screws into the roof for extra security. The Focus uses the same idea.
    Thule seem to be the best non manufacture make. Also try mickgarage.com, I got some roof rack extras, clamps for holding hte paddles on, delivery was only €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CAFCO, Finglas? 01-8640300

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

MicksGarage.ie is a great spot.

I bought a set recently and was very impressed with the design (although my car has roof rails already being an estate).

Price was very reasonable compared to the Thule sets I've bought previously.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks all for the replies/ideas.

I saw Mick's Garage alright, but the roof bars are around €175 which is almost as expensive as original Audi bars (according to the Audi website where they are quoted at €163 plus VAT).

I've seen Mont Blanc ones in the UK for around £50 to £60 sterling (€75 to €90) which look ok. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something solid enough that'll be used the odd time for transporting DIY stuff, and maybe a roof box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Try Malcolms Caravans in Rathmines (01 497 5713). They have a variety of bars and boxes for most makes and models of cars and vans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I got my rack in Halfords, I wouldn't recommend getting one from the manufacturer of your car. When you sell the car, your rack won't fit the new one.

Also, if theres an outdoors shop anywhere near you, any place sellings surfboards/kayaks. They'll probaly sell good rood racks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Try www.miw.ie. They have very good range of roof bars...Cruz...almost as good as Thule and Mont Blanc at much more reasonable prices. If they haven't got what you want, they will get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

saobh_ie wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend getting one from the manufacturer of your car. When you sell the car, your rack won't fit the new one.

You will need to change roofrack when you change you car anyway, the fitting kit is differenct for each model of car. The cost of just the fitting pack for a Thule is nearly as much as the bars alone. I priced a set for a friend, the trade price was nearly €120.00 plus vat. I bought 2 roof racks for different makes of cars, from main dealers, for around €110 inc vat each.

If you want a good secure fitting roof rack, make sure you purchsae one designed for the car. I have seen thousands of Euros worth of damage caused by poor / wrong fitted roof racks.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We bought the last set of roofbars (cross bars for rails) from eBay - worked out way cheaper than Ireland. Certainly Halfords would be a place just to go and say "you want how much????"...

As for roofboxes - go to France - Noruto sell good boxes for much less than here.

Advertisement