Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Adjudication Hearing - Finally

Options
  • 23-05-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

almost 6 months after submitting a claim to the PRTB to reclaim costs for damages by a tenant, I have finally been given a date at the end of June for the adjudication hearing.

Its a bit of hassle as I have to travel to the County Council office of the town where the house is. Is this normal? I would have thought it would have been in the PRTB office in Dublin. It means having to take a day off work, which will cost me more than what I am trying to recover for damages.

Wife says she'll go as and I quote "there is no way in hell that she is going to get away with this"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

to be honest it sounds fair that it is in the local council office, otherwise it would be unfair to ask the tenant (possibly in a house in cork) to travel to Dublin and vice versa.
    Let us know how it turns out as i am interested in what happens here. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Forgive my Ignorance but what where the damages

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I would have thought they would have picked an office mid way between the landlord & tenant, thats all. One of us has to drive for nearly 2hrs while the tenant who is the cause of all this only walks around the corner

Zambia232 wrote:
    Forgive my Ignorance but what where the damages
    too many to go into, but the main ones were house needed cleaning from top to bottom, all the carpets were soiled and needed a professional cleaning and every room had multiple holes in the walls and they had to be filled and the whole house painted. Some rooms the paint was actually peeled off thewalls and there were some cracks in the ceilings downstair due to kids bouncing on a trampolene in the bedroom.
    This was in a new house only 1yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

She likely won't show up is the reality, and you will have to be aggressive about getting them to go ahead and make a ruling in the absence of any defence.

How can you enforce any damages that are awarded?

Look forward to hearing how it works out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lex Luthor wrote:

there were some cracks in the ceilings downstair due to kids bouncing on a trampolene in the bedroom

Holly sh1t but what kind of bell end was she?

She likely won't show up is the reality, and you will have to be aggressive about getting them to go ahead and make a ruling in the absence of any defence.

I have to read the letter again but I think it mentioned something that a failure not to show up would be considered very serious.

I don't know about how I can enforce any awards...I'm hoping they will give some guidance there. Maybe through the small claims court

kearnsr wrote:
    Holly sh1t but what kind of bell end was she?
    a serious one.....
    me missus nearly dragged her round the place she was that pi$$ed off

I could see the steam coming out of her ears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Lex Luthor wrote:
    too many to go into, but the main ones were house needed cleaning from top to bottom,

Now from my experiences with landlords some comments from me as a tenant
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    all the carpets were soiled and needed a professional cleaning

i heard that so many times. i bet just a few drops of cola...
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    and every room had multiple holes in the walls and they had to be filled and the whole house painted.

There was recently a discussion here about landlords going berserk about bluetack on the wall...
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Some rooms the paint was actually peeled off thewalls

Dry, old paint falling off by itself?
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    and there were some cracks in the ceilings downstair due to kids bouncing on a trampolene in the bedroom.

Show me an irish house WITHOUT cracks in the wall!
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    This was in a new house only 1yr old.

Time for renovation, huh? Let the tenant pay...

Yes, I had terrible experiences with landlords. So that's why I'm a bit bitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Aye, all of those things are vague enough that they could be minor (hole in wall = tacks), or major (hole in wall = thick nails going the whole way through).
    Hard to say without evidence or before/after pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Igy wrote:
    Aye, all of those things are vague enough that they could be minor (hole in wall = tacks), or major (hole in wall = thick nails going the whole way through).

well what do you know, the PRTB will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

From personal experience, I'd nearly pay the costs myself rather than go through the PTRB.

The entire system needs to be overhauled, and you should have theoption of pursuing them in a civil court - actually why didn't you look to go down the civil court avenue? Was there a reason?

hardly
    There was recently a discussion here about landlords going berserk about bluetack on the wall...
    did I mention blutack....?
    blutack doesn't leave holes....6" nails do
    house was 1yr old....
    I never mentioned walls with cracks....it was the ceiling caused by a trampoline
    1yr old house again....didn't need renovating.

Igy wrote:
    I've got plenty pics....don't worry

connundrum wrote:
    From personal experience, I'd nearly pay the costs myself rather than go through the PTRB.

The entire system needs to be overhauled, and you should have theoption of pursuing them in a civil court - actually why didn't you look to go down the civil court avenue? Was there a reason?
    I already have paid the costs myself....

I probably would have let the other stuff go but when I saw the carpets and the attitude I got saying it was regular wear & tear, then it was a case of not taking any more $hit

Reason I went down the PRTB route was, I paid my fee to them, so if this is one of the service they offer, then I'm entitled to use it

It would have been cheaper going down the small claims court, but on advice from the PRTB, they advised me to go through them first

Basically says, that a non-attendance of a party of rep will not be accepted as reason for adjournment unless except for very grave reasons and adjournments only granted in exceptional circumstances.
    All adjournments must be in writing and in reasonable notice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what were the costs?

RuggieBear wrote:
    what were the costs?
    about 3 weeks rent which would have been covered by teh deposit only they refused to pay the last months rent saying the deposit would cover it.

They knew then that the place was not going to be returned in a satisfactory condition and hence the refusal to pay the last months rent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Lex Luthor wrote:

They knew then that the place was not going to be returned in a satisfactory condition and hence the refusal to pay the last months rent

not necessarily true, alot of tenants seem to do that nowadays for fear they wont get their deposit back from crooked landlords etc.

being a landlord myself i can sympathise. without seeing the damage its hard to say obviously but the soiled carpets can be hard to uphold. Most landlords see their carpet when its brand new and when the tenant moves out and there is always a difference.

WTF was she doing puttin holes in the walls? what were the hole diameters? which rooms are holes in?

cracks in the ceiling is common in new houses. What kind of cracks are they? Paint, plaster or structural?

anyway hope it works out, let us all know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

So they only did that much damage? Did the damage not cost more than that to repair?

• Advertisement

So they only did that much damage? Did the damage not cost more than that to repair?
    I got a friend who is a painter to help me get the walls back to a liveable condition and I have a receipt for the carpet cleaners.

I think I'm being fair

faceman wrote:
    not necessarily true, alot of tenants seem to do that nowadays for fear they wont get their deposit back from crooked landlords etc.

being a landlord myself i can sympathise. without seeing the damage its hard to say obviously but the soiled carpets can be hard to uphold. Most landlords see their carpet when its brand new and when the tenant moves out and there is always a difference.

WTF was she doing puttin holes in the walls? what were the hole diameters? which rooms are holes in?

cracks in the ceiling is common in new houses. What kind of cracks are they? Paint, plaster or structural?

anyway hope it works out, let us all know how it goes.

She was hanging small pictures with big 6" nails....
    and the hall had more pictures on it than the tate gallery...it was like swiss cheese.
    I specifically stated in the agreement that no pictures other than what I had put up were to be hung up on the walls.

Cracks caused by a trampoline are inexcusable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Now from my experiences with landlords some comments from me as a tenant

Yes, I had terrible experiences with landlords. So that's why I'm a bit bitter!

Mate, no offence, but have you ever rented out a house.

My wife rented out her (2yr old) house to a family and I was astounded at the state that they left it in after only 1 year. Nowhere near the level of the OP but certainly way beyond the bounds of a little wear and tear.

Fact is that a lot of people don't give a sh*t if it isn't their house.

i'd love to see the pictures of the damage.

I've been a landlord and now I'm a tenant...I've seen landlords overreact to simple wear and tear and i've seen the damage tenants can do to a flat within 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

stovelid wrote:
    Mate, no offence, but have you ever rented out a house.

My wife rented out her (2yr old) house to a family and I was astounded at the state that they left it in after only 1 year. Nowhere near the level of the OP but certainly way beyond the bounds of a little wear and tear.

Fact is that a lot of people don't give a sh*t if it isn't their house.

Mate, I'm renting a house for myself. Before that i was sharing houses with others, mate.

If you don't rent your house and then complain about tear and wear then keep your houses for yourself. They will stay decades new, shiny and (most important) unused!

:D

Mate, I'm renting a house for myself. Before that i was sharing houses with others, mate.

If you don't rent your house and then complain about tear and wear then keep your houses for yourself. They will stay decades new, shiny and (most important) unused!

:D
    wear & tear is acceptable....

vandalism isn't and the non-payment of rent

The pictures I took are on my home pc...once I get a chance over the weekend I'll post up a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you rented are car and slashed the seat cover you would pay.

If you got the seat a little dirty you wouldnt. Rent does not give you the right to damage a property to the extent it will cost "tradesmen cash" to repair...

if you hire a taxi and puke in it, you pay a soiling charge so therefore if you sign a tenancy agreememnt to clean carpets on return of the house, then you do it or pay for it to be done

here's a few pics I took the day I took the house back

Living Room Carpet

Another section of living room carpet

Here is just one small area of a wall about 18" square with five hooks in it. Most of these hooks took chunks out of the wall when removed
    Wall

Just one of 3 walls with large stickers that took the paint off when removed
    Bedroom wall

the garden that was left after it was levelled & seeded. the damage to the left side all along up by the fence was caused by rabbits that were kept out there, that I had also not agreed to
    Garden

• Advertisement

tbh, the only issue i'd have there is the stickers on the wall...

actually that's not really fair. i can see why you are annoyed but i think you are wasting your time going to the hearing....but hey what do i know

Advertisement