Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB Adjudication Hearing - Finally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

RuggieBear wrote:
    tbh, the only issue i'd have there is the stickers on the wall...

actually that's not really fair. i can see why you are annoyed but i think you are wasting your time going to the hearing....but hey what do i know
    The pictures do the carpet justice...it looked a lot worse than it was considering it was brand new a year earlier.

It should have been cleaned before being returned and to say that the dirt was normal wear & tear was beyond a joke

we'll see what happens..roll on end of june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Lex Luthor wrote:
    They knew then that the place was not going to be returned in a satisfactory condition and hence the refusal to pay the last months rent

I always thought this wasnt allowed.
    I can see why it wouldnt be allowed too, but is there really anything landlords can do to prevent tenants using their deposit as their last months rent?
    I wouldnt think so.

Looking at your picture, that really is disgraceful. I would never dream of leaving a place i rented in that state.
    Wait til you try to pull out those picture hangers. They always take lumps of paint and plaster with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

TCollins wrote:
    I always thought this wasnt allowed.
    I can see why it wouldnt be allowed too, but is there really anything landlords can do to prevent tenants using their deposit as their last months rent?
    I wouldnt think so.

Looking at your picture, that really is disgraceful. I would never dream of leaving a place i rented in that state.
    Wait til you try to pull out those picture hangers. They always take lumps of paint and plaster with them.
    You can charge a bigger deposit!
    The whole rental system in Ireland is a mess. Landlords and tenants can both be easily mistreated in terms of deposits etc. Long term renting is virtually impossible, tenants cannot really change the place to how they'd like it and landlords have to furnish a place which is very costly.

Over here in Austria a deposit is normally 3 months and the apartments are largely unfurnished (bathroom is generally mostly furnished and if you are very lucky the kitchen might be there - but you may have to buy the kitchen off the last renter!). The tenant must return the apartment to the landlord with all walls painted white and all holes from hooks etc filled in, basically returning it in the condition they got it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mate, I'm renting a house for myself. Before that i was sharing houses with others, mate.

:D

Answering the question civilly (like I asked it) is enough. The other stuff just makes you look like a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave and be nice to each other.

• Advertisement

TCollins wrote:
    but is there really anything landlords can do to prevent tenants using their deposit as their last months rent?
    I wouldnt think so.
    not really much I could do....failure to pay rent just means I have to give the required notice which was a month anyway
    TCollins wrote:
    already did pull them out and thats what happened
    took me a day to fill the holes and sand them down and remove all the stickers and another day with a painter to do all the walls

Imposter wrote:
    You can charge a bigger deposit!
    The whole rental system in Ireland is a mess. Landlords and tenants can both be easily mistreated in terms of deposits etc. Long term renting is virtually impossible, tenants cannot really change the place to how they'd like it and landlords have to furnish a place which is very costly.

Over here in Austria a deposit is normally 3 months and the apartments are largely unfurnished (bathroom is generally mostly furnished and if you are very lucky the kitchen might be there - but you may have to buy the kitchen off the last renter!). The tenant must return the apartment to the landlord with all walls painted white and all holes from hooks etc filled in, basically returning it in the condition they got it in.
    I work with a lad who just moved back from Switzerland and he said its the same there....it sounds like everything is run very smoothly and something about contracts being standardardised and you can buy them in most shops

when you think about it, 1 months deposit is really not enough....2 months should be minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Austrian system works really well. A friend of mine lived there for a year. When she moved in, her flat was freshly painted white and spotless. She the proceeded to paint it herself to her tastes. When moving out, she repainted it back to white.

The marks on your carpet don't look too good at all. They can be quite hard to shift, especially if they've been left sitting for a while. What were they doing? Pouring bottles of coke all over the place?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Lex Luthor wrote:
    when you think about it, 1 months deposit is really not enough....2 months should be minimum

2 months rent is a lot of money to give to someone you don't know, who might shaft you out of it. That could be a couple of grand that you don't have - imagine taking out a loan for it costing a lot of money in interest over a year or more.

dudara wrote:

The marks on your carpet don't look too good at all. They can be quite hard to shift, especially if they've been left sitting for a while. What were they doing? Pouring bottles of coke all over the place?
    not sure what was on them but teh guy from chemdry said it was caused by fizzy drinks alright and after a while if you don't wipe up sugar, it goes black...

they got out most of the stains but it cost me a lot more than I was expecting

• Advertisement

2 months rent is a lot of money to give to someone you don't know, who might shaft you out of it. That could be a couple of grand that you don't have - imagine taking out a loan for it costing a lot of money in interest over a year or more.
    it is a lot but its a lot cheaper than the deposit to buy a house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

had a dispute with a tennant over 200 euro a quarter of their deposit they brought a case against me through the prtb i had to take a day off work to attend and then when the meeting was over they withdrew their claim but like someone said earlier it had already cost me more than 200 with a day off work and a 80 mile round trip so even though i won the case i got nothing out of it with what it cost me to attend ,by the way the other party only had to travel 1 mile
    i mentioned this to the prtb officer who understood where i was coming from but there was nothing he could do about it
    the system is a shambles

Lex Luthor wrote:
    not sure what was on them but teh guy from chemdry said it was caused by fizzy drinks alright and after a while if you don't wipe up sugar, it goes black...
    Dirt sticks to the semi-dry sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I got a friend who is a painter to help me get the walls back to a liveable condition and I have a receipt for the carpet cleaners.

I think I'm being fair

I would have claimed for the painter's time as well. When you are going to arbitration you might as well whack in the full cost.

I would have claimed for the painter's time as well. When you are going to arbitration you might as well whack in the full cost.
    I still had to pay him regardless of him being a friend....he still has to make a living.
    I just got the "friend" price, thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I havent had time to read all the posts in the thread but I work for one of the adjudicators in the PRTB and do up the reports. If the tenant doesnt turn up the hearing will still go ahead, theyre quite strict on that, the only time i've heard it being adjourned is when the tenant has a medical report or once when a tenants father had just died.

I hope you submitted a good report of all the damages to the property including lots of photographs. Most landlords unfortunatly blow a lot of damages way out of proportion. The PRTB will always account for general wear and tear. Did you pay the tenants back their deposit? If you have treated your tenants well and have been completely above board with everything, i.e. any repairs that have been requested done without delay, any reimbursements for tenants paying for repairs paid on time, and sufficient notice in writing to vacate the dwelling then the PRTB will be well in favour of you being paid damages by the tenant. If you have any new evidence bring it along on the day of the hearing, if its short enough for the adjudicator to quickly run thru then it'll be added to the case once the tenant doesnt object, which they will if they turn up!!!

Do you know how the damages can be collected Cathoo?

We appreciate the view from the inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Do you know how the damages can be collected Cathoo?

We appreciate the view from the inside!

We don't deal with the collection of damages, we just give our report to the PRTB and they then deal with it. In our report we would put that the landlord/tenant must pay within 7 days of date of issue of the report. As far as I'm aware it's then treated like any fine in the country, if it is not paid up they can be summonsed to court and made pay a higher fine or face possible prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Point to note Lex is that all repairs done will be written off against your tax paid in your self assessment next year so you wont be out of pocket at all. Just speak with a good accountant, it all counts!!!
    (Note: I am a landlord of a number of properties so i know how this feels but its just to be expected and not the end of the world)

gibo_ie wrote:
    Point to note Lex is that all repairs done will be written off against your tax paid in your self assessment next year so you wont be out of pocket at all. Just speak with a good accountant, it all counts!!!
    (Note: I am a landlord of a number of properties so i know how this feels but its just to be expected and not the end of the world)
    I don't buy into that gibo....

Why should everyone else pay for the tenants failure to pay their way?

• Advertisement

You will be out of pocket. The only reason you are paying less tax is because you are making less profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

OK serious question what on earth possesed you to put in a cream carpet in a house you were renting ???

was that no asking for trouble in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

another question is why in gods name did you rent to a person with a child?
    rent allowance?

RuggieBear wrote:
    another question is why in gods name did you rent to a person with a child? rent allowance?
    Human beings?

But yeah, bad call on the carpet, my brother did the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

RuggieBear wrote:
    another question is why in gods name did you rent to a person with a child?
    rent allowance?

thats a bit of a stupid comment. if someone doesnt respect a property they will do so regardless of whether they have a chlid or not.

for example me , my other half and my son live in rented accomodation and the place is immaculate because we look after it as we consider it our home regardless of the fact we're just renting

miju wrote:
    OK serious question what on earth possesed you to put in a cream carpet in a house you were renting ???

was that no asking for trouble in the first place
    I have cream carpet in my house with 2 boys and once you get it shampoo'd once a year and don't drag your boots across it after you've been in the garden it will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

miju wrote:
    thats a bit of a stupid comment. if someone doesnt respect a property they will do so regardless of whether they have a chlid or not.

for example me , my other half and my son live in rented accomodation and the place is immaculate because we look after it as we consider it our home regardless of the fact we're just renting

meh. kids don't respect anything and will wreck a place far quicker than "professionals".... but maybe not "students"!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The only thing there that's bad is the carpet, and anyone with kids will tell you that drinks get spilled all the time. What were you thinking putting cream carpet down in a rented property!! . Wooden floors all the way my friend.

The back garden doesn't look to bad, maybe a bit shabby but certainly nothing to bad. If those pins were removed properly you would have been left with very small holes, nothing a bit of pollyfilla wouldn't sort out.

Reading from the start I thought your house was wrecked, the pictures certainly tell a different story.

The only thing there that's bad is the carpet, and anyone with kids will tell you that drinks get spilled all the time. What were you thinking putting cream carpet down in a rented property!! . Wooden floors all the way my friend.

The back garden doesn't look to bad, maybe a bit shabby but certainly nothing to bad. If those pins were removed properly you would have been left with very small holes, nothing a bit of pollyfilla wouldn't sort out.

Reading from the start I thought your house was wrecked, the pictures certainly tell a different story.
    so if you are saying it wouldn't have taken too much to rectify all these issues, then why wasn't it done before the tenant left?

she kept harping on that it was very minor, so if it was that minor, it wouldn't have taken her that long to fix them up and get the carpets cleaned.

The carpet wasn't ruined, but by no means was it suitable to rent it out again and it needed cleaning. Nothhing more....

And if I stated in the agreement that no nails or anything was to be put on the wall, then I expected as much

• Advertisement

Wooden floors all the way my friend.
    They have their own problem with noise (and scratching).

Advertisement