Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel bearing replacement

Options
  • 23-05-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hello all

I think I need to get my wheel bearings replaced on my car.
    Theres is a huge amount of noise when driving and they seem to be coming from the wheels rather than from the engine.

my question is: If the weel bearings need to be replace is this a job that needs to be done at the manufacturer dealership or can any garage do it?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

any garage
    avoid main dealers - they are just a rip off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

it could be also a cv joint that is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it a grinding/rumbling sound at any speed above walking pace and regardless of which direction the wheels are pointing?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hi Mike
    its only noticible when the wheels are going fast ie: above 30mph
    At low speeds I just here the sound of the engine.
    A driving instructor recently mentioned that it sounds like the wheel bearings.
    Done want my wheels to randomly break off on the N11!

One way to check is it jack up the front end and grab the wheel at the "quarter to three" postion and see if you can "shake" the wheel lateraly on its hub, if you can the bearing is shot.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ah mines just in today to get new drivers side bearings, they are expensive mind. 198 for the part alone. Im in duscussion with SEAT IRL about them covering the cost as its a month out of warranty. great timing. :rolleyes:

200 coins for a bearing? Yikes thats nuts You should have shopped at GSF

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

seems my quote was a bit steep too.
    The skoda dealership in co wicklow who shall remain nameless quoted €300 per wheel (2 front wheels)!

Hence why I queried could this be done at any garage.
    Glad I said I'd get back to them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Seat have offered to pay for half of the repair on my car, its going to be about 300 euros,but I have to wait 5 days for the part. they could get a skoda part today and fit tomorrow but I'd have to pay the full wack.

Is it safe to drive with a bad wheel bearing, could the wheel fall off or something. sorry for the lame post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

Seat have offered to pay for half of the repair on my car, its going to be about 300 euros,but I have to wait 5 days for the part. they could get a skoda part today and fit tomorrow but I'd have to pay the full wack.

Is it safe to drive with a bad wheel bearing, could the wheel fall off or something. sorry for the lame post.

not recommended, but then again i drove for 4 months doing an average of 300 miles per week on mine before i changed it!!!

Just get it sorted asap is my only advice and drive only when you really have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I replaced my wheel bearing recently. I paid 25 euro for it in Otto. If your wheel bearing is on the way out, it should feel either resistive to turn or make a grating noise or the hub assembly will be slightly loose. 5 minutes work (wheel removal) will give you an indication. My car had all 3 symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bearing should cost about €50 Max and fitting should be no more than €30 in a local garage, its a 20 minute job at most.

Advertisement