Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What board to buy? and where?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I pasted this from the sticky above! Would I better going local or going ebay for a board?

what is your hieght and wieght?
    5.7 - ~11 stone

What would you consider your level or experience of surfing to be?
    N00b !

What surfboard are you currently on? Size and is it a foamy, epoxy, plastic or fibreglass?

8 & 9ft foamy

What sort of surf are you generally in? under 2ft? Under 4ft? or bigger?

Anywhere between 2 - 7ft so far

Are you catching the waves easy?

easy enough now, I've only been out 6 times so far. The quality of the waves have been quite varient

Are you turning both directions with ease?
    no :)

How is your popup? Are you going straight to your feet? have you a stable stance on your current board?

It's not too bad now. the last time I was out I was really getting the hang of it.

How often do you plan to surf?
    Probably once a month

If given a fibreglass board could you look after it and not bust it up
    Definitely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Anything between 7-8ft with a good bit of volume is pretty much all a beginner needs.

It doesn't really matter too much if it's plastic, epoxy, fibreglass or wood. You just need something you can practice on.

BTW most surfers measure waves kinda funny, a 7ft wave has probably a face height of around 15ft ;)

[edit]
    Just saw the once a month part. Get yourself a longboard 9ft+ with a single fin setup.
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

Go local, either a Bicpsport popout from a local surf shop.
    Bicsport are a good learner board and retail their value for resale.

Also check for local shapers in your area for custom boards.

Good second hand market at irishsurfer.com

Getting stuff from ebay can turn into a major headache with shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I would suggest you go to a Surf Shop as you cant beat local surf knowledge and they can show you all the boards available.

I should have put in the sticky to ask as a question what sort of budget you are on, telling me this would let me advise you exactely what you could get.

If your going cheap look at the new NSP Surf Series 7'7" which are only €325, Or go for another epoxy board.

Alternatively if you are going for fibreglass and have extra cash to spare a longboard would be great, these buggers new start at around €599 dependingon the shop you go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

pasted this from the sticky above

what is your height and weight?
    5.11 - ~13 stone

What would you consider your level or experience of surfing to be?
    Been 5 or 6 time, will prob go once or twice a month when i get my own board

What surfboard are you currently on? Size and is it a foamy, epoxy, plastic or fibreglass?

8 & 9ft foamy

What sort of surf are you generally in? under 2ft? Under 4ft? or bigger?

Anywhere between 2 - 7ft so far
    but i live on east coast

Are you catching the waves easy?

can catch waves ok on a foam board

Are you turning both directions with ease?
    no

How is your popup? Are you going straight to your feet? have you a stable stance on your current board?

its ok

How often do you plan to surf?

Probably once a month

If given a fibreglass board could you look after it and not bust it up
    not sure

my budget is up to 450 euro

Advertisement