Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois/Offaly tactical vote

Options
  • 23-05-2007 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

What would be the best tactical vote in Laois/Offaly to displace the current shower? I don't want to waste my vote on no hopers and I don't want that FF/PD shower back in. As my area seems like a FF/PD heartland, I am puzzled as to what a good vote would be.

Thanks

A confused 007

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JonnyXXX

Parlon is under real pressure there. So he may not get in which is good news. Vote for FG - Flanagan. In a position to take the seat but not home and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

I am a recent resident to the area....
    I don't think Flanagan will do it however... Molly Buckley (Tullamore TOwn chairwoman) looks more likely in my view and she's a good skin too.. I know her... but I am not voting FG as I also know Richard Bruton and would not trust him with my pocketmoney....

Well ok....between Olwyn, Molly and Flanagan you have plenty of choice. Olwyn is a banker but still needs votes. So use your second and third preferences......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Swarfboy

Yeah, but in my view you'll get more for your pound with Molly....
    I have asked Olwyn to attend several events and she said she would open the event and never called to cancel or never turned up... she just waltzes in smiling the next time we saw her as if nothing had happened... This is not the first time either... If Molly promises to turn up she will.... Even Brian Cowen turned up to a small even of elderly people the fri before last...

Molly it is so! as long as we dont have FF back. God we all need a break from them. the arrogance over the last week has been tough to bear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am a former Parlon supporter and i have great respect for the man but I feel I should do nothing to help the current shower back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bond-007 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am a former Parlon supporter and i have great respect for the man but I feel I should do nothing to help the current shower back in.

I don't think a vote for Parlon is a vote for FF at this stage. I don't think either side will have the numbers for a FF/PD Government. If you think he's a good candidate vote for him, etc.

not so sure i agree with that one. if FF come close to a majority, which is possible, then the PD numbers could make it up. then the shower are back in. If you dont want the shower, avoid PD FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Vote Brian Cowen the best politican by a mile in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Bond-007 wrote:
    Hi

What would be the best tactical vote in Laois/Offaly to displace the current shower? I don't want to waste my vote on no hopers and I don't want that FF/PD shower back in. As my area seems like a FF/PD heartland, I am puzzled as to what a good vote would be.

Thanks

A confused 007

How would voting for a no hoper be wasting your vote.

if they get eliminated your vote will move to the next available candidate if anything voting for the least likely to get elected candidate in order will make sure your vote travels and is counted more than others.

Wasting your vote is voting for someone you do not support but believe may be elected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If thats the case, I'd say Parlon 1, Flanagan 2 would be the go...

A lot of people like the man before the party, (not just Parlon) and I do feel that if there are fewer PD's in the Dail next time (I'm guessing 2), if Parlon stays in politics, he might not stay in the PD's for long.

Badabing wrote:
    Vote Brian Cowen the best politican by a mile in Ireland.
    O please, dont start this. FF have had their chance. Their arrogance knows no bounds. givem them what they deserve. some time on the opp benches to get a dose of reality.

JonnyXXX wrote:
    not so sure i agree with that one. if FF come close to a majority, which is possible, then the PD numbers could make it up. then the shower are back in. If you dont want the shower, avoid PD FF.

The problem is that the PDs are extremely unlikely to hold on to the anything close to the eight seats they had the last time, and FF are very unlikely to beat their seat total from the last election. FF/Labour is much more likely to happen than FF/PDs imho.

true, but its not worth taking the risk of the current shower returning. and therefore, dont vote PD FF if you dont want them back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Was wondering this exact same question myself, same constit.
    the IT yesterday focussed on laois/offaly forecasted 2 FF, 2 FG & 1 PD and felt that Flanagan would be a safe enough bet and like another poster said, Parlon's a little shaky.

In fairness, Parlon was responsive and helpful to our local residents assocation during the year but the thought of the current govt. being re-elected upsets me. So its Flanagan for me to make sure.

JonnyXXX wrote:
    true, but its not worth taking the risk of the current shower returning. and therefore, dont vote PD FF if you dont want them back.....

Tbh don't vote Labour if you want to be sure that FF won't get back in. :p

JonnyXXX wrote:
    O please, dont start this. FF have had their chance. Their arrogance knows no bounds. givem them what they deserve. some time on the opp benches to get a dose of reality.

Fine Gael have been on opp benches and they are the most arroogant party there is, their health policy is a joke and i for 1 don't trust them with the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Justify the arrogance statement badabing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Was wondering this exact same question myself, same constit.
    the IT yesterday focussed on laois/offaly forecasted 2 FF, 2 FG & 1 PD and felt that Flanagan would be a safe enough bet and like another poster said, Parlon's a little shaky.

In fairness, Parlon was responsive and helpful to our local residents assocation during the year but the thought of the current govt. being re-elected upsets me. So its Flanagan for me to make sure.

It looks like Fleming/Parlon for that last seat. I'd be interested to see how Brian Stanley gets on.I'd say he'll poll well and could be what puts Fleming in ahead of Parlon.
    I''ve still not made my mind up(tactics that is!)
    In fairness to Parlon, he was outside Portarlington Train station yesterday.I can't say that I've noticed any other candiates doing likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

JackieChan wrote:
    In fairness to Parlon, he was outside Portarlington Train station yesterday.I can't say that I've noticed any other candiates doing likewise.

Jim O'Brien the Labour guy was there last week. No free pen though ;)

Some of the candidates turned up to a recent Neighbourhood Watch launch a few weeks ago and all spoke very well, 1 FF, 1FG, the Lab & SF candidates.

• Advertisement

Agent J wrote:
    Justify the arrogance statement badabing.

Their arrogance is that they point out all the problems in the country but have no answers imo.

Badabing wrote:
    Their arrogance is that they point out all the problems in the country but have no answers imo.

So arrogance wouldnt be say calling people luddites for not agreeing with their flawed technology?

Badabing wrote:
    Fine Gael have been on opp benches and they are the most arroogant party there is, their health policy is a joke and i for 1 don't trust them with the economy.

This is where FF have managed to convinced the naive people in this country. FF have little to do with the success of this economy. We are a small open economy and very little the government will do will influence it. So lets not start saying what that FF shower says .....if we vote for the opposition we are turning out back on the progress we have made....the truth is that our fate is in the hands of the global economy....and Brian Cowen knows it. Bring on a new government, and get the corrupt and tired FF into the opposition benches.

Low corparation tax low income tax has brought billions into the country and American multi-national companies want to invest in Ireland, i would hate to see the rainbow panic if their is a global down turn and start raising taxes or cutting back in r&d or education.

Agent J wrote:
    So arrogance wouldnt be say calling people luddites for not agreeing with their flawed technology?

Being smart arssed about it and not giving the system a chance is.

totally agree but i dont believe that any opposition, bar sinn fein would go down that route!

True and with people saying sinn fein getting 10 seats they might have a say in goverment when the votes are in!

Badabing wrote:
    Being smart arssed about it and not giving the system a chance is.

The system was given a chance in 2002 remember? Wasn there a handful mor e votes registered then actually voted?

I am not being smart assed about it. The system is fundamentally flawed and i challenge you to prove me wrong.

The government was forced to stop its roll out thanks to the actions and evidence presented by a few people and i cant believe Bertie is still harping on like its everyone else fault that they make a screwup.

Let me ask you a simple question. Would you buy a car from Minister cullen if he sealed down the hood and you couldnt see the engine?

Agent J wrote:
    The system was given a chance in 2002 remember? Wasn there a handful mor e votes registered then actually voted?

I am not being smart assed about it. The system is fundamentally flawed and i challenge you to prove me wrong.

The government was forced to stop its roll out thanks to the actions and evidence presented by a few people and i cant believe Bertie is still harping on like its everyone else fault that they make a screwup.

Let me ask you a simple question. Would you buy a car from Minister cullen if he sealed down the hood and you couldnt see the engine?

I didn't mean you are smart arssed sorry if u took offence, i think Cullen has done ok in transport he has had a few decent ideas but i agree he hasn't handled the situation very well, like a alot of ministers he is being spoon fed by the civil service and comes across smug or not intrested in what people are sayin to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Badabing wrote:
    Low corparation tax low income tax has brought billions into the country and American multi-national companies want to invest in Ireland, i would hate to see the rainbow panic if their is a global down turn and start raising taxes or cutting back in r&d or education.

That measure was introduced by the rainbow government in 1996 i.e a Fine Gael and Labour government. Ruairí Quinn brought in the measure when he was minister for Finance.
    Typically of Fianna Fail they are claiming that it was all their work even though they were in opposition at the time. As the old saying goes "Anything good that ever happened in Ireland was because of Fianna Fáil, whether they were in or out of power", but thats according to Fianna Fáil of course.

Anyway for the OP,the best way is to vote for the three Fine Gael candidates first, then give the next preference to Labour and if you wish the Greens after that. Its reckoned that FG will gain a seat here, at the expense of Fianna Fáil most likely, though I wouldn't rule out Parlon losing his seat either.

Advertisement