Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early Supervision Woes

• 23-05-2007 12:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I think this is OK within the charter guidelines.

This is probably more of a rant than anything.

For the final year of my postgrad Dip I've to do a research project which is worth 30% of my final mark. Like many students I've been playing around with more than one idea and finally settled one specific area. Departmental muppetry lead myself and my classmates to believe we had to sort out as much detail of this out as possible this year but then we got word to shelve it until September but I won't rant too much about that. Basically I had no luck in finding a supervisor which we were meant to do ourselves, more muppetry and unnecessary pressure.

I just got word via email this morning that I've been assigned to someone who I've heard some bad things about and may be a complete nightmare as a supervisor, two classmates who've had him as a tutor said earlier in the year he was pretty useless. This sucks and will not make me a happy camper, I know I can't compare myself to one of these classmates as he practically eats, sleeps and drinks college but said he this lecturer was pretty dire. I doubt I can do anything or appeal to the co-ordinator of final year projects. I was randomly assigned this guy after I handed in about 3 pages based on what I wanted to do. The FYP co-ordinator said he'd try to link me with someone interested in the area but no such luck.

I'm the in middle of exams and this is a pain in the arse. I accept doing a thesis isn't easy as I've done one before and know it's my responsbility but I guess I'm worried about having a complete plank as a supervisor. Haven't even met him yet. [/rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I feel for you OP. My friend had a nightmare of a supervisor for his masters. He left his thesis with his supervisor to proof read, and it took him two months to do so. My mate was left with just under two weeks to make significant changes to his project code, and his thesis documentation in order to get it submitted. He barely made the deadline, and was quiet upset afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That sounds pretty awful sco, I don't blame your friend for being upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Let me put it to you from the "other side", so to speak. I will be supervising post-grad diploma projects starting in the next couple of weeks.

I accept that some students just don't get on with lecturers/tutors/supervisors, that's human nature and to be expected. I would, however, point out that it is in everyone's interest, both student and supervisor, to get the project off to as good a start as possible.

What I am saying is that if you feel at this stage that there are going to be issues, then nip it in the bud and do something about it. Get onto the co-ordinator and get assigned another supervisor. Speak to the co-ordinator off the record if you have to, but I can't emphasise how important it is to work with someone you at least have some respect for and vice versa. Don't leave it until it is too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

tom dunne wrote:
    Let me put it to you from the "other side", so to speak. I will be supervising post-grad diploma projects starting in the next couple of weeks.

I accept that some students just don't get on with lecturers/tutors/supervisors, that's human nature and to be expected. I would, however, point out that it is in everyone's interest, both student and supervisor, to get the project off to as good a start as possible.

What I am saying is that if you feel at this stage that there are going to be issues, then nip it in the bud and do something about it. Get onto the co-ordinator and get assigned another supervisor. Speak to the co-ordinator off the record if you have to, but I can't emphasise how important it is to work with someone you at least have some respect for and vice versa. Don't leave it until it is too late.

Is it possible to get assigned another supervisor though? My mate was denied the chance and he asked on the day he got assigned to the supervisor in question. I guess it is different in every college, but I would agree that it is worth a shot.

One of the things delaying me doing a masters is I will have the same supervisor as my mate - and I really don't want that.

Best of luck OP, please keep us updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

scojones wrote:
    Is it possible to get assigned another supervisor though? My mate was denied the chance and he asked on the day he got assigned to the supervisor in question. I guess it is different in every college, but I would agree that it is worth a shot.

I can't say for certain, but I do know the course co-ordinators in my place are sound, the dept. head is even sounder (if there is such a phrase :D), so I doubt there would be much of a problem, as long as projects haven't started.

As you say, it may be different in different colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

My advise, is to wait until he shows his true colours (i.e. doesnt correct something in time) and then complain. your department heads will be much more willing to change you if you have a specific reason for wanting to change, rather than that you heard bad things about the supervisor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Some people are just bad at supervison, but if the project is going well it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I would just go ahead with it, because there is no point trying to get yourself a bad name in the department when they're coming to think about exam results :)

Advertisement