Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband stops every now and then

Options
  • 23-05-2007 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has the same problems. I have had broadband now for 3 years or so with three different providers and several different modems.

UTV, Eircom, BT - Linksys, Netgear, Netopia

I have noticed that BB just seems to stop every once in a while and the only way to restart it is to power down and reset the modem. This is also happeing (way too frequently) in my Dads house with his Eircom broadband.

I noticed that the best modem was by far the linksys, it would often run for weeks without needing a reset but the netgear would need resetting every 3-4 days. My dads netopia needs to be reset somestimes several times a day.

Do the rest of you have these issues with Broadband? is it all just part of the game? I am techie and know how to look at routers settings on their webservers etc and I know my Windows and IP Networks (just to rule out the obvious novice stuff)

Thanks

Kieran

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

KStaford wrote:
    Hi all,

Thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has the same problems. I have had broadband now for 3 years or so with three different providers and several different modems.

UTV, Eircom, BT - Linksys, Netgear, Netopia

I have noticed that BB just seems to stop every once in a while and the only way to restart it is to power down and reset the modem. This is also happeing (way too frequently) in my Dads house with his Eircom broadband.

I noticed that the best modem was by far the linksys, it would often run for weeks without needing a reset but the netgear would need resetting every 3-4 days. My dads netopia needs to be reset somestimes several times a day.

Do the rest of you have these issues with Broadband? is it all just part of the game? I am techie and know how to look at routers settings on their webservers etc and I know my Windows and IP Networks (just to rule out the obvious novice stuff)

Thanks

Kieran

This is rarely a broadband issue - its usually the unpredictability of the wireless equipment thats the problem.

Have you checked your dads connection when he is using an ethernet connection to the pc to see how good the bb connection is?

Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless connections in the area. With the growth of broadband there are more and more people using wireless routers most of them on the same wireless channel by default and this must be causing problems. Eircom claim to be signing up 4000 new customers a week - thats 4000 new wireless router out there potentially clashing with their neighbours.

If the breaks in service you have experienced were all in the same house there may have been something interfering - for instance dect phones can cause problems.

However if there are breaks when you are connected to the modem by ethernet then you may have a line issue - did you ever check your line stats? (Or your dads given that he is having lots of breaks in service)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Could be issues with the internal wiring in the house if the DSL light is going off when you experience disconnections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

no fellas its not a wirerless issue, in most cases my experience was over cat5 ethernet cable. as far as unusual layouts or interference is concerned, this has happened to me in twop different addresses and also to my dad at his address. (so 3 different locations).

It seems that the routers just go asleep every now and then. anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Does the DSL light stay on all the time?

Check your dads line stats and tell us what they are. The issues you are highlighting are usually down to line quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

One of the obvious settings is make sure the router has a nailed down connection.. otherwise it may well go to sleep as you put it..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

im with eircom and happens quite a bit, the line drops, the dsl light stays green but the 'internet' light goes red on the modem. dont know why, and then 20secs later jstarts working again, and changes back to green again! hasnt happened in days but gets fits often 3 and 4 times a day. when i told eircom they blamed my alarm system

davton wrote:
    im with eircom and happens quite a bit, the line drops, the dsl light stays green but the 'internet' light goes red on the modem. dont know why, and then 20secs later jstarts working again, and changes back to green again! hasnt happened in days but gets fits often 3 and 4 times a day. when i told eircom they blamed my alarm system

Did you tell them when you ordered bb that you had an alarm?

ye,, i even had broadband before the alarm, cant remember if it happened before got the alarm in was to long ago... i tried disconnecting the alarm out of the loop, but the phone line doesnt work then, what ever system is built inside the alarm i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

davton wrote:
    ye,, i even had broadband before the alarm, cant remember if it happened before got the alarm in was to long ago... i tried disconnecting the alarm out of the loop, but the phone line doesnt work then, what ever system is built inside the alarm i guess

Did you install it yourself?

Did you get filters for the connection to block interference?

If eircom did it and it was working before then maybe one of them has broken.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote:
    Did you install it yourself?

Did you get filters for the connection to block interference?

If eircom did it and it was working before then maybe one of them has broken.

install the alarm myself, no its eircom phonewatch, and i have connection filters in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

davton wrote:

I had this exact problem with my eircom for the year i had them. Used to happen each day and i tryed wireless and Cat5 and the problem was still there. But the last few months i had BB it seemed to get better but then maybe i was not using it as much to notice the drop in connections.

It just might be the modem Eircom provide. Getting BB off them again in my new house in a few weeks time so if problem is there also i will change my modem.

ye my does seem a lot better now, once or twice in the past few weeks. big improvement than few times a day. might change to clearwire when my contract is up, there in my area now. I dont know anyone on it tho,, or heard of any problems with them????

Advertisement