Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sell or Not

Options
  • 23-05-2007 1:30pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last year I bought my first car from my brother. A 99 Mazda 323 Saloon 1.3. I bought it for €3400 which was good as there was only 69000 miles on it and it was well kept and not driven too much as he lives 30 seconds away from where he works. So anyway a year on the car now needs and NCT. Problem is that there are 2 lights constantly on the dashboard flashing at me! They are linked to as a sensor that is broken under the the front passenger seat. So I brought it to Mazda this morning and they told me it would cost €650 + vat + labour (at least 2 1/2hrs) to fix the problem.
    The guy at Mazda reckons it might still pass the NCT and that I should take a chance. I might do that but I was talking to guy a here at work and told him all and he offered me there and then €2k for it.

So that has got me thinking. Would be interested to here what you people think I should do

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

are they the airbag sensors? I've the same issue with mine. You should still pass the nct with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if you have the funds in place (including the 2k from selling) to buy a car you really want, then sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It depends on yourself, If you need the car then keep it as you won't get anything better for 2k unless you have a bit more stashed under the bed Edit; kinda rained on my parade there Tauren

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

fits wrote:
    are they the airbag sensors? I've the same issue with mine. You should still pass the nct with it.

They are indeed. Mind me asking what are you going doing to sort your situtation out?

I'm not sure yet... OH can do a lot of mechanical work so he'll try and fix it I'd say. I read about the same problem in the Sunday Times driving section (I think), but afaik it wasnt nearly as expensive to solve as 650 euro according to the article.
    I have to say your post has alarmed me with that price. I just bought my car 6 weeks ago (it didnt have that problem when I bought it, and its still intermittent)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

fits wrote:
    I'm not sure yet... OH can do a lot of mechanical work so he'll try and fix it I'd say. I read about the same problem in the Sunday Times driving section (I think), but afaik it wasnt nearly as expensive to solve as 650 euro according to the article.
    I have to say your post has alarmed me with that price. I just bought my car 6 weeks ago (it didnt have that problem when I bought it, and its still intermittent)

You hardly still have the article!??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,746 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Onkle wrote:
    Edit; kinda rained on my parade there Tauren
    just be thankfull it wasn't a golden shower;) :p

You hardly still have the article!??

I wish...:(

Ho hum... OH just checked out the cost of parts for me... I need a new mass air flow sensor 150 euro,
    new engine mounts 130 euro
    and a new airbag sensor.. 700 euro!

Great :(

He's just bought a new van from a mazda dealer and they went through the parts together. Seemingly the airbag sensors are giving a lot of trouble and its easier to change them in cars with the grey interior (mine is blue)...

So my new car isnt looking like such a bargain... but I'd still probably cover my costs if I were to fix it up and sell it on.

Advertisement