Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Solstice Sites

Options
  • 23-05-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Where is a good location to view the summer solstice? I have seen a few possible options on http://www.megalithomania.com/

I am not a pagan but viewing the summer solstice at an ancient site does seem vaguely pantheist so I thought people on this forum might have an opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

Not sure what you mean exactly. If you mean you want to go somewhere that has an alignment with the summer solstice there aren't really any to speak of. See mythicalireland.com and knowth.com for more info on sites.

Apparently from 'mound B' near Newgrange, the sun sets over Newgrange at the solstice, I'm not sure if there is access to mound B, I think it is on private land.

Tara is a popular place to celebrate the solstice but there are no significant alignments.

www.electricpublications.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Great thansk for the info. I have found a few standing stones that align with the setting sun on the summer solstice. There are a few passage tombs that line up with the rising sun also. Tara might be a bit crowded but it is a very nice location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Hello

I KNOW I am mega early, but I always leave it to the last minute and then forget or it's too late.
    This morning was a classic example of the when I woke up and said "D'oh", it's the winter solstice!!

SO, how do I get into New Grange for the summer solstice. I hear there is a lotto for tickets etc etc etc

ANY INFORMATION welcome - I am going to be prepared this time!!!

THANK YOU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

New grange is not aligned for summer solstice only for the winter one.
    http://www.knowth.eu/newgrange-solstice-lottery.htm

Advertisement