Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aine Brady (FF) - Kildare North - Worth a vote or Not??

Options
  • 23-05-2007 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi

I support FF/PDs and to a lesser extent, altough would never admit to it, a SF admirer. (oops - now there's opposites!)

Aine Brady is seeking election to Kildare North - McCreevy's old territory - she lost out to Catherine Murphy (Ind) in the By-Election called to replace Charlie.

Anyone clued in enough here to know if she will make it/come close/not a hope?

It's my first time voting in this constituency.

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Totally clueless.
    First Train at Docklands Station - Brady

Fianna Fail's North Kildare General Election Candidate, Aine Brady has welcomed the progress being made with the new Docklands Rail Station as the first train arrived at Dublin's newest station for test purposes.
    14:00 21/12/2006

'The Construction of this Station, will increase the capacity to enable the line cater 20,000 new rail passengers a day and provide a train to Maynooth every 15 minutes.'

'Passengers using the Maynooth Line will benefit from this new station when it opens next year. The project is expected to cost €26m and the projected opening date is 12th of March next. We need now to focus on providing increased car parking facilities adjacent to our trains stations,' according to Aine Brady who brought Minister Martin Cullen TD to Maynooth earlier this year for a public meeting on our local transport needs.

'I will continue to keep in touch with Minister Cullen to ensure that we continue to highlight the further improvements that are required,' concluded Aine.

ENDS

The new Docklands station is ONLY for new services to Clonsilla, Co. Dublin, and the eventual rail link to Dunboyne. In addition, while Irish Rail gave assurances several years ago to a Joint Oireachteas Committee on Transport that the Docklands station would be able to use existing but under-utilised rail links from Heuston, the eventual siting of the station made that impossible. So Kildare town, Sallins, Newbridge etc. don't benefit either.

Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

slumped wrote:
    Hi

I support FF/PDs and to a lesser extent, altough would never admit to it, a SF admirer. (oops - now there's opposites!)

Aine Brady is seeking election to Kildare North - McCreevy's old territory - she lost out to Catherine Murphy (Ind) in the By-Election called to replace Charlie.

Anyone clued in enough here to know if she will make it/come close/not a hope?

It's my first time voting in this constituency.

S

What is your question for

It seems that you only want to vote for her if she has a chance of being elected which seems like a ridiculous notion vote for whoever you would like to be elected not who you think has a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Voipjunkie wrote:
    What is your question for

It seems that you only want to vote for her if she has a chance of being elected which seems like a ridiculous notion vote for whoever you would like to be elected not who you think has a chance.

No - I don't want to waste my vote. If I thought she had F*** all chance then I would vote for someone else who I thought deserved it.

For example - Jeff Aherne (PD) has F*** all chance so won't vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I think Stagg is a shoe-in and if Murphy can make it in through a by-election, I'd expect her to make it in during a GE.

Expect a tight contest for the third seat with transfers obviously being crucial. I think this one of those races where your vote could count several times over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kildare_North
    Kildare North is now unique by being the only constituency in the country without any TDs from the governing Fianna Fáil party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Word on the street is Fitzpatrick will get in ahead of Brady on the FF side.

One side aspect of the election is how many HQ imposed candidates (of all parties) get through... Brady is one of those.

I wonder how much of Catherine Murphy's vote will hold up, as Emmet Stagg (obviously) wasn't on the by-election ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

slumped wrote:
    No - I don't want to waste my vote. If I thought she had F*** all chance then I would vote for someone else who I thought deserved it.

You clearly do not understand how STV works

Lets say you vote

PD 1
    FF 2
    FF 3

if the PD is the candidate that you support most then you should vote for them whether they have a chance or not is really irrelevant when the PD is eliminated your second preference will transfer to the FF if she needs it if she is eliminated your 3rd preference will transfer to the next FF candidate if they need it.

YOUR VOTE IS NOT WASTED IF THE CANDIDATE IS ELIMINATED IF YOU CONTINUED YOUR PREFERENCES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

One of the things which struck me about a lot of the promises in Aine Brady s material is the sense of Deja vu.

For example there is a promise to get the gaelscoil in maynooth proper buildings and out of prefabs.

I was in maynooth 5 years ago and remember the same promise last time.

I cannot help but think its only because of her family relations that she is even running.

To be honest there is only one candidate in North Kildare that i ever see anything from outside of election time.

Also bear in mind that it is now a 4 seater area.

I have seen a lot more from Fitzpatricks people in the last few days but i have issues with McCreevy so hes not likely to get a preference from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DMC wrote:
    I wonder how much of Catherine Murphy's vote will hold up, as Emmet Stagg (obviously) wasn't on the by-election ticket?

Good point. :o
    Agent J wrote:
    One of the things which struck me about a lot of the promises in Aine Brady s material is the sense of Deja vu.

For example there is a promise to get the gaelscoil in maynooth proper buildings and out of prefabs.

I was in maynooth 5 years ago and remember the same promise last time.

I cannot help but think its only because of her family relations that she is even running.

To be honest there is only one candidate in North Kildare that i ever see anything from outside of election time.

Also bear in mind that it is now a 4 seater area.

I have seen a lot more from Fitzpatricks people in the last few days but i have issues with McCreevy so hes not likely to get a preference from me.

Who is Brady related to?

Forgot this was gonna be a four-seater.

Result?:

1 Lab.

1 Ind.

1 FG.

1 FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Brady has a long history with FF.

Check it out at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aine_Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

This is off topic, but what's the verdict on Bernard Durkan and Darren Scully?

I see Durkan is quite an experienced politican and a possible FG minister. However, in any alternative government the same can be said for Stagg.

No constituency would have two ministers (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I know very little about Scully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

slumped wrote:

We are in a PRSTV system. You can't waste your vote unless you want to. If you vote for Ahern, and he gets knocked out, then your vote simply transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

silvine wrote:
    No constituency would have two ministers (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    It's quite possible, if FG/Lab/Green get in, that both Stagg and Durkan would get ministries on account of their seniority in their parties. Certainly Junior Ministers, at the least.

Of course Durkan will be hard pushed to retain his seat with Darren Scully eating up the vote. Durkan only got in by 135 votes last time and Darren would be a very good TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Zebra3 wrote:
    Forgot this was gonna be a four-seater.

Result?:

1 Lab.

1 Ind.

1 FG.

1 FF.

Yup. Thats what I have here. Its just a case of which FF and which FG it will be. I would guess Scully for FG, will shade it, as he's Naas based, not many of the others competing for seats are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

SeanW wrote:
    Totally clueless.

The new Docklands station is ONLY for new services to Clonsilla, Co. Dublin, and the eventual rail link to Dunboyne. In addition, while Irish Rail gave assurances several years ago to a Joint Oireachteas Committee on Transport that the Docklands station would be able to use existing but under-utilised rail links from Heuston, the eventual siting of the station made that impossible. So Kildare town, Sallins, Newbridge etc. don't benefit either.

Oops!
    Yes it is only from Clonsilla but it takes a good few people off the main Maynooth trains, esp in the evenings.

S

Advertisement