Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

callpedia.com - delivering the power of internet encylcopedias onto mobile phones

• 23-05-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I've recently established a new mobile phone service. It allows people to get information from internet encyclopedias delivered to their mobile phones. I was wondering if people could let me know what they think of the service. - useful or not? problems? suggestions for improvements?, etc... Details of how to use it are posted on the website - www.callpedia.com regards, S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Looks interesting. Very vague though. If i was to text Liverpool FC, would you give me information about tonights match? Or about the clubs history? Or about the team at present?

I'm just guessing, but does the text run a wikipedia search, then the call listens into a computer reading out the page it finds?

Also, how do you make money off this? There's no t&c's stating there'll be a charge, or that you intend to use people's numbers for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭skeegan

Thanks for the comments.
    failsafe wrote:
    Looks interesting. Very vague though. If i was to text Liverpool FC, would you give me information about tonights match? Or about the clubs history? Or about the team at present?

You would get information about Liverpool FC- history, current squad, etc. The information is presented in a linear fashion at the moment. I want to add a better IVR over the coming weeks so that users can jump to specific parts of the article. i.e. press 1 for history, 2 for squad, etc. You would not get any information on tonights match. To get that information, you could text 'Champions League Final 2007'
    failsafe wrote:
    I'm just guessing, but does the text run a wikipedia search, then the call listens into a computer reading out the page it finds?

Sort of. It's more complex (and more scaleable) than that. I use an Asterisk VOIP server to handle incoming SIP calls.
    failsafe wrote:
    Also, how do you make money off this? There's no t&c's stating there'll be a charge, or that you intend to use people's numbers for marketing purposes.

I'm not making any money from it at present. The user pays for a standard rate text message with the query and a local rate call for the information. If it became popular enough, there might be ways to generate revenue. e.g. embedded advertising or SMS charging... I wouldn't use peoples numbers for anything like that-I should put a t&c section on the website to clarify that.

At the moment, it's working on a trial basis. I find it useful for general queries that I encounter during the day (when I'm away from the computer). I've looked up things like bands, tourism stuff. Also technical and autobiographical items. I'd be interested in hearing if people think whether it might be useful or if they try it, they could let me know what the experience was like...

Advertisement