Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing your car abroad for a year?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm going to college in Switzerland for the year and will need a car for my part-time job. How does insurance work for this? can i get insured in Ireland or should i get insured over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Get insurance over there, dont think any irish company will cover you for a full year residing in a diff country.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik Irish insurance companies only cover you up to a maximum of 30/31 days driving abroad.

Give your insurance company a ring to confirm either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i would imagine insuring over there would be the best bet. and while your at it, if i were you i would be looking into buying a brand new car here before going and etting it shipped directly there. that way it doesnt need to be registered here and after a year abroad (registered over there) you can come home with it and get it re-registered for free. not exactly what you asked but thought id say it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

bazz26 wrote:
    Afaik Irish insurance companies only cover you up to a maximum of 30/31 days driving abroad.
    Whats the story with the huge number of foreign reg cars here? Does the same 30/31 day timespan apply to them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DonJose wrote:
    Whats the story with the huge number of foreign reg cars here? Does the same 30/31 day timespan apply to them too?
    Probably not. Most mainland European insurance policies don't have silly restrictions like that, since "going abroad" in many cases may involve only driving 5km down the road. I can't remember having any restriction at all in this regard on my insurance policy when I lived in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would imagine insuring over there would be the best bet. and while your at it, if i were you i would be looking into buying a brand new car here before going and etting it shipped directly there. that way it doesnt need to be registered here and after a year abroad (registered over there) you can come home with it and get it re-registered for free. not exactly what you asked but thought id say it anyway.

Thats a good idea :rolleyes: , Will it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not if you're only overseas for education...which the OP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

could you afford to sell the car and buy new over there? then bring it back VRT free.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lex Luthor wrote:
    could you afford to sell the car and buy new over there? then bring it back VRT free.

It would probably be LHD though since the OP is going to Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Not possible for a student.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

sorry, didnt read it right. again sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

esel wrote:
    Not possible for a student.
    He's working too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Alun wrote:
    Probably not. Most mainland European insurance policies don't have silly restrictions like that, since "going abroad" in many cases may involve only driving 5km down the road. I can't remember having any restriction at all in this regard on my insurance policy when I lived in the Netherlands.

That could also apply here if you live near the border. Are you technically uninsured, if you live in the Republic, and work in the North every day?

Advertisement