Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me this is not true

Options
  • 23-05-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

So I got a notice in the door the other day about wireless broadband finally being available where I live (Enfield/Ice Broadband). They are also offering a telephone service with it too.

As I have been desperate to free myself from the shackles of a landline/DSL for so long now, I eagerly rang them up, asked a whole range of questions and got positive answers.

That was until I asked about transferring my landline number over to their VOIP service - I would have to wait 12 to 15 weeks and they couldn't guarantee the number would be live during that time ( so I couldn't divert it to my mobile).

Is this really the case when transferring your number to another provider? Is it really that bad? Does it really take that length of time? To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement.

I am actually re-considering whether I will change over to Ice after all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It is really that bad. And it is all ComReg's fault. For me, it took over 6 months. I hear it is a bit better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah well just look at how it works for mobile number porting.

A bit strange that they mess it up so bad for landlines. Almost like an ex-state body that has a monopoly on the landline has an influence on things or something but I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

You could ask if Ice can get you a VOIP number in the meantime and use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

thegills wrote:
    You could ask if Ice can get you a VOIP number in the meantime and use that?

If it came to that, I could just use the mobile (as I do already). It's really the fact that I don't want to lose the landline number, and that I can't believe it could be out of action for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

tom dunne wrote:
    If it came to that, I could just use the mobile (as I do already). It's really the fact that I don't want to lose the landline number, and that I can't believe it could be out of action for so long.
    Please let ComReg know how you feel, tell them of your utter shock at the 12-15 week timeframe being quoted by Ice, ask them to confirm whether it should take that long or not?

Let us know what the "official" line is?

G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Your number does not become unavailable during the porting period. I ported my landline to blueface, it took about 8 weeks, but I had two numbers during that period. One number being my eircom LL, and the other a temporary number allocated by blueface. Both lines worked perfect for the period of the port, and one day, the eircom line was dead, and my blueface number had been converted to my old eircom number. No reason why this should not be the case with porting to any other voip provider.

I do agree the time to port is stupid, and makes a joke of comreg, in that they seem to think this is acceptable. It just means having to pay eiorcom line rental for a month or two longer in the end though.

Wexxfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I am sure Ice will do this also. Your outgoing calls will go out through your ATA while incoming will come in through Eircom LL. Then when you've been ported from Eircom to Ice your LL number will replace the temporary voip one.

Well as expected, no response from Comreg.

So lads, I know you are reading, could you please reply to my e-mail? Or does Comreg not "do" e-mail. Wouldn't surprise me, tbh.

I suppose the guy from Ice was just preparing me for the worst, even still, 8 weeks is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

tom dunne wrote:
    Well as expected, no response from Comreg.

As a public service body they *have* to reply to your email in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Comreg does do email.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Porting a number to a VoIP service can take many many weeks, I think the general time is 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Just my tupence.
    I went with VOIP Ireland. They gave me a new 061 number (I'm in the Limerick area). When I was happy with their service I asked them to port my existing eircom number. This took about 3 weeks but I had the other 061 number for the duration. I now have two 061 numbers and no eircom line.
    It's not all bad out there.
    My WISP is Irish Broadband and in fairness the service is great and customer service has improved immensely.
    thegills

Just a quick update on this, I got a reply, expressed my surprise at the length of time it takes, that's about it.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

The wait to port your number to VOIP is outrageous, but if you are thinking of going VOIP with ICE you have worse problems ahead of you.

I think you would do well even to find anyone who is happy with Ice and VOIP. VOIP and ICE just do not work together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

watty wrote:
    Comreg does do email.

....maybe they've changed provider and are waiting for their LLU request to be processed, in which case you can expect a reply sometime next April.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

tom dunne wrote:
    Just a quick update on this, I got a reply, expressed my surprise at the length of time it takes, that's about it.
    Well done. Good to see it sorted.

Advertisement