Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintendent Troubles

Options
  • 23-05-2007 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Greetings Sports fans....

O.K here's my position, back in February my local Inspector / Acting Super refused my certificate. he was replaced shortly afterwards, so I rang and wrote to the new guy looking for an appointment, but they wont give me one. I did get to speak to him twice and explained why the original refusal was incorrect in its logic, now for the past 7 weeks I have been trying to get him onthe phone again, he wont issue a certificate and he wont issue a letter of refusal. So Im in no mans land !

Answers on a postcard please, Id appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What firearm cert are you looking for???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Another PITA!!.Solicitors letter making this offical as to why they are refusing appointment or refusal of cert.Answer please within the next 21 working days,otherwise you are making an offical complaint to the Garda ombudsman of all parties cocerned,and issuing DC proceedings to have this reviewed.
    Best you can do at the moment.

Edit
    After reading that bunch of lame excuses.[On the line of "the dog ate my homework".]

Get a lawyer to issue DC proceedings,and after that call the Garda Ombudsman to complain about the obstructionism you have faced by a public servant,in trying to meet them and [2]a decision based on nothing in current firearms law that justifies a refusal.Kick this up the legal ladder,and go for it all the way up,to the doors and into the DC.High time some of these Supers were reined in abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Did you get original refusal in writing? Have you tried to re-apply from scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Agree with CG, legal route is hte only option left, they have forced your hand. Unless of course the initial refusal was for a good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Superintendants do not like to override any decisions of predecessors. Couple of examples of this around at the min. Try to re-apply from scratch, have to agree with the others though. Legal route probably the only sure fire way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Vegeta wrote:
    Agree with CG, legal route is hte only option left, they have forced your hand. Unless of course the initial refusal was for a good reason

The certificate was originally refused on the basis that:

1) A 9mm semi automatic is not suitable for target shooting.
    Eh.. sorry I.P.S.A has to count

2) That a 9mm is not used in competition, the recognised calibres for olympic competition being .22 and .177
    WOW.... when was the 25m center fire removed from the olympics, not that it matters I dont want to shoot in the olympics

3) that a 9mm is is used as a military / police type pistol
    Oh so no more driving Ford's or Toyotas because the police use them, and forget your 4 X 4 the army have those.. and toilet paper, dont forget that they use it as well.. so hand over your car keys and bog roll lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Solicitors letter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ironsight wrote:
    2) That a 9mm is not used in competition, the recognised calibres for olympic competition being .22 and .177
    WOW.... when was the 25m center fire removed from the olympics, not that it matters I dont want to shoot in the olympics
    Well, 1972 to be pedantic. The point however, is that there's more than just the Olympic disciplines, even within ISSF shooting.

Advertisement