Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnar's MMA Debut In Jeopardy

• 23-05-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

According to this link, Brock is the only fighter on the card for the event to have been cleared by the athletic commission so far. With it taking place in 10 days time, there's a lot of problems with it. Apparently they're even looking to bring in Gabe from The Ultimate Fighter season 5, the overweight lightweight

If the event doesn't take place, it would be very unfortunate for Brock. By all accounts I've heard, he's been training very hard for MMA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm not totally surprised. Clowns are running this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

damn............
    K-1 could certainly rival the ufc if they got their act together but time and time again they have been let down by either fighters or else the management has made ****ed up decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin1983

i wish wwe would bring back the pain

Update from yahoo sports:

Former WWE wrestling champion Brock Lesnar may have to wait to make his professional mixed martial arts debut since his scheduled opponent, Hong Man Choi, was denied a license for medical reasons by the California Athletic Commission.

Kogan said he plans to bring Choi to another doctor Wednesday for a second opinion. If he receives a favorable opinion from that doctor, Kogan said he will ask the commission to reconsider its ruling.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Akt57nFngNZrfe9MVABl4hyUxLYF?slug=ki-choilicense052207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Dublin1983 wrote:
    i wish wwe would bring back the pain

they could do with him now. I thought he was ok but he would be great compared to the crap they have now

• Advertisement

Update from the observer:

We have been able to confirm that preliminary talks have started with FEG regarding potential new opponents for Brock Lesnar.

We know of four names that are definitely under consideration, which are Tank Abbott, Ruben Villareal, Butterbean and James Thompson.

Of those names, Abbott or Butterbean would have the most marquee value as a freak show fight for the U.S. PPV audience. Thompson is a question mark because even his own management can't ascertain what his Pride deal would prevent him from doing so he may be impossible. He also isn't likely to be chosen. Abbott has verbally said he would do the fight if asked.

There may be other names also under consideration but we've been able to confirm FEG has talked about those names today and done preliminary inquiries about them. Bob Sapp would also be a name they would be interested in, but the break-up and legal action currently going on between Sapp and FEG makes that unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

This all makes the UFC look so much more professional. If Brock is in any way decent, hopefully they sign him up. In interviews Brock has talked about how he's been preparing for Hong Man Choi, it'll probably throw him off a bit if he has to face a shorter guy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

^^dana white has said that the UFC has been looking at lesnar for a while and im sure that if he wins his fight the UFC will strongly consider signing him

I think all this messing about will probably sway Lesnar to sign with the UFC.

Meltzer made an interesting point that whoever he signs with, it'll be on big money which means they'll want to recoup that money as quickly as possible by putting him in their with top top guys which is probably not the way you want to begin your MMA career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah no i was looking forward to this. Hopefully a good replacement is found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

If Brock ends up in the WWE they currently have a stacked Heavyweight division. I can't see him getting near a belt for a while so UFC would have plenty of time to build him up.

Currently you have Couture Vs Gonzaga to get through, then you have Arlovski in the wings, Vera resigned and still in fans minds, Sylvia will be calling when he beats Mir ( which he will sadly ), Cro Cop will come back in no time and you also have Big Nog in there so people need to get there tapping hands ready.

All in all, there are more than enough guys at the top who need to be faced off and shuffled for title shots so bringing in Lesnar wouldn't instantly mean you need to throw him at the big dogs. Giving him fights with guys like Kongo, Herring, Imes etc would not be a bad idea.

Dragan wrote:
    All in all, there are more than enough guys at the top who need to be faced off and shuffled for title shots so bringing in Lesnar wouldn't instantly mean you need to throw him at the big dogs. Giving him fights with guys like Kongo, Herring, Imes etc would not be a bad idea.

The point is that Lesnar would be on much more money than those guys. If he were to lose to them, then how would UFC recoup their money?

Fozzy wrote:
    The point is that Lesnar would be on much more money than those guys. If he were to lose to them, then how would UFC recoup their money?

By billing the winner as the guy who beat Lesnar. Whatever way people want to look at it now Gonzaga is a draw.

He beat Cro Cop, stick him in there with ANYONE and you have to give him a chance now.

Fight results make fighters, but clever marketing makes draws.

But the thing with Gonzaga is that when he beat Cro Cop, Cro Cop really didn't look that great to the average American UFC fan. He was built up, but he didn't deliver. So Gonzaga doesn't look that special beating him. Of course, if you know what Cro Cop's done in the past then it is a big deal, but it's not to the majority of UFC viewers. Beating Lesnar before he's proven himself in any way won't make the likes of Herring into a big draw, as the perception would be that Brock was never that good anyway. That's the way I see it anyway

Fozzy wrote:
    But the thing with Gonzaga is that when he beat Cro Cop, Cro Cop really didn't look that great to the average American UFC fan. He was built up, but he didn't deliver. So Gonzaga doesn't look that special beating him. Of course, if you know what Cro Cop's done in the past then it is a big deal, but it's not to the majority of UFC viewers. Beating Lesnar before he's proven himself in any way won't make the likes of Herring into a big draw, as the perception would be that Brock was never that good anyway. That's the way I see it anyway

Indeed, and i see your point. But the simple fact is that you can't structure an MMA match thinking ahead anymore.

Diaz beat Gomi. Hendo beat Wandy. Randy beat Sylvia. Serra beat GSP. Gonzaga beat CroCop.

All you can do is set the card, wait for the results, then set up the next card. Besides, people forget there was a time when everyone we think is unbeatable now had to come to light. New and legitimate threats will start emerging from the ranks.

There was also a time when 1 lose meant nothing. Now people seem to think that losing a fight means you are worthless in the fight game.

Eh, it's the FIGHT GAME. A lose is nothing. I can't think of anyone who's career ended with an 0 for loses.

That's the funny thing about combat sports. Different in team sports, where if the likes of United or Chelsea lose a match you know they're still one of the best teams around. In boxing and MMA, people often react as if a top guy's career is over if they lose

Still, taking all things into consideration, I do think the UFC would end up putting Brock in to fight the top guys first

It looks like the show is going ahead anyway, but Lesnar's opponent is still unclear. Apparently it will be decided by the end of today either way

Brock's now set to fight "Mr. Shark" Min Soo Kim. He's Korean and has beaten Sean O'Haire, but lost most of his other MMA fights. I'd almost think that this will be an easier fight for Lesnar, although that is based on havin not seen either guy fight

I was reading that Lesnar's original opponent wasn't granted a license to fight because he has a tumour in his head. He's claiming that most giants have something like that and that he knew about it before. Apparently they couldn't find an MRI scanner big enough for him at first

You couldn't make some of this stuff up its so ludicrous.

Advertisement