Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recover fat32 drive formatted as ext2

• 23-05-2007 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey all,

I made a big mistake today. I was trying to format a usb flash drive as ext2, but instead I formatted another external usb drive by mistake. The other drive was formatted as fat32 and there's a lot of stuff on there that I would like to recover.

When I googled this I got a lot of hits from companies selling software but it was really hard to pick out which if any might be able to help.

Anyone got any experience with this, and any advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've used a program called rstudio which is quite good but not free. It depends on whether it just altered the partition tables or not. I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

there is good gnu software available for this (which I have used successfully). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure google will help. I found it in the ubuntu repositories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. Believe it or not I think might actually be ok. I recreated a fat32 partition on the disk with fdisk and formatted it with mkfs.vfat.

I felt I had to get it back in fat32 before an undelete programs would be able to work. Also my linux box is really old and only has a 6 gig hard drive. Trying to recover a 200 gig hard drive to 6 gigs would take forever :)

Anyway once it was reformatted I could see it in windows again. I found a free undelete program here http://officerecovery.com/freeundelete/. It looks like it works well and it's been able to find most or all of the files on the disk.

Thanks!

Advertisement