Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

METRO BROADBAND - beginner question

Options
  • 23-05-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello all,

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is Metro broadband?

I've checked out digiweb site , but it is all very vague?

Is it via a phone line or wireless (if wireless- what do they install?)?

What is the difference between digiweb Metro BB and digiweb Wireless BB?

Cheers,

Schmills

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Metro is intended for home users. It has a higher contention ratio than their Wireless packages.

They'll install a small antenna on your roof or beside a window and then you'll have a router that you can connect your PCs, consoles, etc to.

I think they also have VOIP phone services too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

schmills wrote:
    Hello all,

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is Metro broadband?

I've checked out digiweb site , but it is all very vague?

Is it via a phone line or wireless (if wireless- what do they install?)?

What is the difference between digiweb Metro BB and digiweb Wireless BB?

Cheers,

Schmills

with metro the install a wireless broadband service and include a phone line. the put and aerial on teh roof and run a cable into your house. there they terminate it with a Thomson modem. On this is on ethernet port, one USB port and two Phone sockets. You plug once machine into either the Ethernet or USB port, and a phone into line 1. It goes up to speeds of 8Mb, depending on the package.

With normal wireless, the put an aerial on the roof and run the cable down into the house, plugging it into a Zyxel router. Of this you can connect 4 other PC's etc. it has top speeds of 2Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 schmills

Thanks chaps for clearing that up.

Hmmm....don't like the idea of them drilling holes willy-nilly to set it up.

Could you just it have inside your window? I'm about 2 storeys up.

Cheers,

Schmills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

schmills wrote:
    Thanks chaps for clearing that up.

Hmmm....don't like the idea of them drilling holes willy-nilly to set it up.

Could you just it have inside your window? I'm about 2 storeys up.

Cheers,

Schmills

Nope, cant 'just be thrown up' into the window. The holes are not drilled willy-nilly, they will be done in agreement with a responsible person for the house/property.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can add your own Router/Wifi to the Metro modem.

The ouside aerial is not very heavy so the holes are smaller than those for a Satellite dish. If you have suitable pole (or in some cases robust balcony metal work) of your own (not a pole erected by some other company such as IBB) it might be possible in theory to mount the "aerial" on that.

Any drilling of holes by anyone, even yourself for any purpose in the fabric of a building needs to be authorised by the owner or agent of the owner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement