Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTDETECT - Repair Console

• 23-05-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Need some advice here, try not to laugh but for some reason i went and delted the ntdetect file from my laptop... and its needed for bootup. Anyways I dont have a recovery disc and I don't want to reinstall windows on my machine.

I believe its possible to use the recovery console from the xp disc and copy the file over to the machine from the disc, is this correct?

If this is correct can somebody tell me what I need to type into the dos prompt screen to get this to happen (havent a clue about dos) at the moment it reads C:\WINDOWS>

Any help at all would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Have you been partitioning your hardrive, thats a common error for a currupt boot sector on the disk drive, windows should be fine.

At the 'C:\WINDOWS>' prompt, try typing FIXBOOT, if that doesnt work , go back to safe mode then try , FIXMBR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

no didn't partion the hard drive... its a standard pc world laptop (had to go up and get them to take off the password on the bios..) and i just deleted the ntdetect file from the hard drive like a fool!

tried the FIXBOOT and it says it was successful but when the laptop is started up again the bootup failed because 'NTDETECT Failed'. I have a feeling it would be the same from start up in safe mode.

Is it possible to copy the file from the windows disc to the machine within the dos prompt screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You could try this with your XP disk;

Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    1. Start the computer from the Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. Select R at the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Select Manual Repair.

4. Select only Startup Environment.

Thanks for the reply Petes,

When I press R it doesn't give me a manual or automatic option... it brings me to a black screen where it says

windows repair console etc. and gives me the option of fixing a windows installation 1 or 2... 1 being the disc and 2 being the c drive so i have been selecting 2 and get the dos command.

have just selected 1 and i can see on the disc there is a folder called ntdetect.com.. is there a way of copying this from the cd to the hard drive via dos?

ok got it,

thanks for the replies... managed to copy the file from the e drive to my c drive and it worked a charm...

note to self don't delete files that are needed for boot up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement