Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Half Marathon

• 23-05-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Did anyone here run this last year?

Any idea why it is so expensive to enter (66 euro) - more expensive even than the Dublin Marathon, and three times the price of the Dublin Half Marathon. Is it just because money goes to a charity?

Also, why were the times relatively slow last year? Is it a tough race?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Hi,
    I ran the Achill Half last year - I posted about it on a previous thread. Anyway, I really enjoyed it the whole weekend there, and recommend running it. Unfortunately I won't make it this year. It was very well organized, esp. considering it was the inaugural race. Unfortunately, despite the fact it was early July, it rained for most of the race, and the wind was very strong, so much so that it was hard enough to keep a straight line at times. The course had two significant climbs, one around 2 miles, and another around 10 miles from what I remember. I believe that it will be run in reverse this year, supposedly easier. I ran about 5 minutes off my best time, which I would put down to the wind - the hills were not as big a factor.

I don't know exactly why it costs so much, but presume it's due to lack of major sponsors, and also to support the charity. I have to say that the 'goodie bag' was better than most, and the race was well-organized, esp. considering it was the first year. I can't imagine that the weather will be as bad the second time around, although it is Achill, after all... (-:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thanks for that - will dig out your race report, but it seems worth entering on what you've said above.

Advertisement