Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Monitors Radiation, Parenting Gurus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I read the first article yesterday & while somewhat concerned, if I were to have the monitor 10' away from my baby's cot - either the baby or the monitor would be outside the house & have to hover 14' above the front garden. :)

As for the second article I got as far as "sacrilisation of bonding" and "intensification of fatherhood" & moved on. More book-selling, money-spinning, self-publicising bullshìt IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dame wrote:
    What do you folks think of this? Is it just another scare from people who are opposed to mobile phones, masts, microwaves etc.?
    I'd be more concerned with the fact that transmissions from a baby monitor can be picked up with any cheap scanner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

Used a baby monitor since my daughter moved into own room .....

Have the monitor the other side of the room ( about 6-7 ft ), the microphones are sensitive enough to pick her breathing up even from there.

I assume this is coming off the WIFI debate thats raging in the UK at the moment , baby monitors use the same wavebands ( the 2Ghz range ). I figure it's very low power and it's not next to her head ....... I wouldn't have it next to her head , that's common sense ( like mobile phones or anything like that )

Ill be honest , the monitor is just a ' crutch ' , if she cries we can hear her anyway, it's useful if you want to go into the garden though.

Wishbone Ash...... What's your concern ? If some wierdo wants to listen in to a baby breathing / crying , yes thats wierd but ??? The thought hadn't even crossed my mind !

Anyway , Eastenders ( and other soaps ) would lose half their story lines without baby monitors picking up people confessing about affairs etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Davidth88 wrote:
    Anyway , Eastenders ( and other soaps ) would lose half their story lines without baby monitors picking up people confessing about affairs etc :)

*picks up son*

Oh, your mommy would be so angry if she found out about daddy's other women. But since you're only 10 months I can tell you all my secrets.

*camera pans slowly to baby monitor*
    *cut scene to nextdoor neighbour's scandalised face with scanner held next to ear*

*cue credits and music*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Actually, it's not just Eastenders.....I've heard of people who are into CB radios and the like, who have scanners and drive around parking outside houses listening to whatever's going on inside. Mind you, I can't see the attraction myself; "Will I stick the kettel on?", "All right", "What time should we head to that place tomorrow?", "How was the office?", "Little Joshua needs new shoes". I'd say they get some fascinating tidbits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Or in my little one's case all they would hear ( I hope ) would be a soft breathing , and the occasional ( every 45 mins ) turning over in the cot followed possibly by a musical toy playing softly for a min and her telling her teddy a story.

Wierd what people are into.

:)

Advertisement