Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Sadly I think they may make a mess of this game :( but that's just from what the people on the forum are thinking..

*continues working on getting the original Fallout working* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Aye, well the forums are filled with die hard fans of the original constantly dictacting how the game should be made.
    I'm a fan of the others aswell but I really don't think making the same as them will work, not visually I mean.

Shall be interesting either way.
    Gave fallout 2 to a mate and we've been swapping it back and forth forever allways installing, playing, finishing, uninstalling over and over again. I think the CD is worn down now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

From what I've heard it could be good. Though I haven't played fallout (yet - it's installed on my laptop and everything) the creatve team at Bethesda are supposedly fans of the previous 2, and will try to keep to it. And Bethesda do make very good games

By the by, KoKane, Game Threads is actually for Play by Post roleplaying, hence moving to Roleplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Yay! I've been waiting years for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The artwork on the site is looking fairly good and the music is fairly epic sounding. I just hope they keep the dark humour and don't use the same engine they used with Oblivion, it just wouldn't fit with fallout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I'm a big fan of Fallout 1 & 2, but I absolutely hated the way Tactics was setup, it was a mess in my opinion. I hope it goes back to its roots of 1 & 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Raphael wrote:
    Though I haven't played fallout (yet - it's installed on my laptop and everything)

*gasp*

Sssssshhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnneh!

Anyway. I'm hoping this'll be good. I really liked the last couple. I like Bethesda. Things could well work out.

Mantel wrote:
    The artwork on the site is looking fairly good and the music is fairly epic sounding. I just hope they keep the dark humour and don't use the same engine they used with Oblivion, it just wouldn't fit with fallout.

I'm not sure that's studio artwork, I was told it was contracted out to an outside artist.

Seems great though, we finally get to see more of when went down in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Undergod wrote:
    I'm not sure that's studio artwork, I was told it was contracted out to an outside artist.

I'm hopeing it at least fits in with some of the locations they'll have in the game, the aircraft carrier one looks quiet intresting.
    Undergod wrote:
    Seems great though, we finally get to see more of when went down in other parts of the world.

You mean the other side of America? :p

At least there's only a few days left till the Teaser.

America is a big place! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Trailers out! Click 'Voodoo Extreme' because the other sites take ages to load and download the video. So an Autumn 2008 release then:(

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Noooooo :(

I was hoping for first quarter 2008, or even summer, but oh well :( I'm sure there'll be good games between now and then to keep me occupied! The trailer says very little about the questions people are asking, like will it be similar to the first two games or more like Oblivion and such.. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Boards.ie needs a Fallout shelter. You never know what might happen. Support pleases :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055101938

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

for some reason I feel compelled to agree with the above...

Trailer is kinda cool, but nothing special really. Tells us nothing to do with the game.

probably why they call them teasers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A nice trailer they seem to have done their homework but yeah showed us nothing substantial.

The only thing that worries me is Bethesda will make a spin off that just uses characters and settings from the universe and it will really have very little else to do with Fallout in terms of game play. They have already hinted that it won't be as "hardcore" as fallout was when it comes to certain things.

Oblivion is a good game in it's own genre but it is an RPG lite & nowhere near the depth and complexity that the Fallout games reached & Bethesda have never done anything that comes close to that (coupled with that not a single person involved in the previous Fallout games is working on this).

I'd say what where going to be getting is a KOTOR clone in the Fallout universe while not bad thing per say I never liked the combat system in KOTOR it was just so frantic and rushed but the odd's of proper turn based combat are remote I think.

8T8 wrote:
    A nice trailer they seem to have done their homework but yeah showed us nothing substantial.

The only thing that worries me is Bethesda will make a spin off that just uses characters and settings from the universe and it will really have very little else to do with Fallout in terms of game play. They have already hinted that it won't be as "hardcore" as fallout was when it comes to certain things.

Oblivion is a good game in it's own genre but it is an RPG lite & nowhere near the depth and complexity that the Fallout games reached & Bethesda have never done anything that comes close to that (coupled with that not a single person involved in the previous Fallout games is working on this).

I'd say what where going to be getting is a KOTOR clone in the Fallout universe while not bad thing per say I never liked the combat system in KOTOR it was just so frantic and rushed but the odd's of proper turn based combat are remote I think.

well, actually it's not a spin off whatsoever. it's set on the east coast and none of the original characters (or settings, obviously) are said to be involved. it's going to be a totally new story. and far from hinting that it won't be as "hardcore" as the originals, peter hines has explicitly stated that they are no less than "aiming" for at least a M (17+) rating for the game, and plan to keep the dark humour and over-the-top violence that made the originals so enjoyable.

while it's true that none of the original design team are involved, ron perlman has signed on to narrate the game intro - which was kind of the anchor of the original games. for me anyway. so there is a link.

Well what I mean by spin off is that like Halo for instance is an FPS but there is Halo Wars for the Xbox 360 which is an RTS. What a lot of Fallout fans fear is that it winds up as "Oblivion with guns" & while some folks will be thrilled with that personally not my cup of tea.

Bethesda are unlikely to go for a top down turn based game not because the style gameplay is dated (it isn't) but because real time sells better is the simple cold truth. On the consoles the only audience for turn based games are jRPG's who probably are not going to be interested in a non-anime product so as Fallout 3 is being developed for those systems in mind I expect real time combat in some fashion.

It was a nice touch getting Ron for the game but we'll find out soon enough what the game is like once Fallout 3 Gameinformer issue hits the streets soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

:d :d :d

• Advertisement

8T8 wrote:
    On the consoles... Fallout 3 is being developed for those systems in mind I expect real time combat in some fashion.

no it ain't. also from peter hines "Fallout has and will always be a PC franchise". the console port is secondary - most likely just a cash in (more platforms, more sales) - but that doesn't mean it's being designed with console gamers in mind. you're right though, no point in arguing with game informer coming out nice and soon.

The consoles are definitely more the primary platform than the PC don't get me wrong I'm not some fanboy but that is the hard truth there are far too many examples but just a recent one is Bioshock & Obilivon started as a primary PC title but when MS showed them the Xbox 360 they switched to that as it's primary platform during the games development as such performance and the UI where tailored better to the Xbox 360. That said Bethesda would be incredibly foolish and inviting scorn if they did design the UI around the consoles and leave PC users hanging as Bioshock crew specifically mentioned learning from their mistakes with Deus Ex 2 & crafting separate UI's for both platforms in Bioshock.

If you want to make a healthy profit then you target the game consoles, Bethesda saw that as far back as Morrowind (the Xbox projects purpose has been pretty much to cannibalize PC gaming for tech/developers/gamers).

Anyhow NMA are reporting on the Game Informer article in that someone got one early and is spilling the details some good stuff the combat does indeed sound like KOTOR from the description & the game is third person based on an enhanced Oblivion engine.

Also some other good stuff like scaling isn't like Oblivion and level caps plus alternate endings sounds promising if this is all true.

Edit: Full info from game informer is now on NMA including pictures, the combat system is both turn based & real time (I think) in that in encourages turn based combat but you can also do it real time but you lose certain benefits, like wise the camera is also first person & third person, sounds an interesting mix check out the site for all the details but it is not the same combat system from the original games. In the combat shot with the mutant (which looks kinda lame I have to say) you can clearly make out the controls for the Xbox 360 which is what the game must have been demoed on, along with talk of Xbox 360 achievements for karma in the article.

I like that they kept the messy deaths in and added a slow mo effect for the really gory ones that's a nice touch. I have mixed feelings about that it looks like there is no party just NPC's you can hire for additional fire-power, the party members in Fallout 1 where as much a help as a hindrance.

Overall some very good positive points & some less than great info like degrading weaponry but still it's not anywhere as bad as it could have been.

Edit2: RPG Codex posted an analysis of the info as well & after reading that I would have to say my initial enthusiasm has been dampened, the hand-held nuke launcher is indeed out of place and the mutant(s) look a little like the locusts out of gears of war along with a few other bits & bobs.

More info from GI Q&A and well they clear it up all right here are some highlights;
    Link1
    Link2

No turn based action at all in game all real time, the combat has the option for Max Payne style slow down mode where you can take aimed shots & that's it.

Implied primary platform (as I read it) is Xbox 360/PS3 and PC version may have lack of optimizations.

First person is preferred though they have worked on the 3rd person camera.

Story wise not related at all to the earlier games.

Dialogue similar to Oblivion.

Fans of original games & expecting anything along the lines of the originals will more than likely not like this game.

So uh yeah thats just a taste :(

Expectations have just been lowered once more & the reaction even on Bethesda own F3 forums is pretty negative, on a lighter note there is a rumour that another Wasteland game may be in the works via 1UP. For those that may not be aware Fallout was a spiritual successor to Wasteland, many of the games ideas have appeared in Fallout 1/2 & even Fallout: Tactics.

I hadn't been reading for more than 10 seconds when I noticed that there was No implied platform. the game is Not being ported at all - it's being built from the ground up for All Three Systems.

it's also Not Max Payne bullet time style combat - it's a paused combat mode where you expend action points on aimed shots whose accuracy will be directly attributed to your stats.

first person is Not preferred, and he even makes the point that most people given the option of playing in the 3rd person have shown that they prefer it and they have designed the game so it can be played from start to finish that way if the player chooses. he made that point in the original article as well.

storywise it starts off in and it's overarching storyline is directly related to a Vault.

he also states time and time again that this is a Totally independant franchise from oblivion. there is absolutely No crossover. not the dialogue, the combat, the narrative structure. the only facet in which they have any similarities is the fact that they're both role playing games.

and saying fans of the originals will not like a game we have a article and a handful of interviews about is just a little too presumptious, don't you think? it's not out until next year damn it.

dan_y wrote:
    I hadn't been reading for more than 10 seconds when I noticed that there was No implied platform. the game is Not being ported at all - it's being built from the ground up for All Three Systems.
    ...Woah. That's just... woah.

:rolleyes:

Wait, having re-read that I misunderstood. Thought they were essentally building it from the ground up 3 times, one for each system - which would have been freakin awesome. I need to use the internet les when tired...

Advertisement