Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking recommendations....

Options
  • 23-05-2007 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    has anyone got a E6400???
    Just wondering how good they are to overclock?
    This is my first overclock on any processor and in its first go it has gone to just under 2.7ghz.
    I ran prime95 stable for a good eight hours..
    Also, would the temps 27-33c idle be good for that overclock?
    Thanks guys

2464433170100534130S600x600Q85.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hi, A few of the lads here have that cpu alright. and they come across as pretty good overclockers. Ranging upto 3.2ghz on good cooling. Also 27-33c would be idle or load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

So excuse my noobishness but what are the advantages of overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Bench Marks and Making it go faster better performance..

If you have a E6600 and its @ 2.40Ghz.. but overclock it to 2.93Ghz you basically have a €1000 cpu(core2extreme) for what like €280?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

DeafVision wrote:
    Bench Marks and Making it go faster better performance..

If you have a E6600 and its @ 2.40Ghz.. but overclock it to 2.93Ghz you basically have a €1000 cpu(core2extreme) for what like €280?

What he said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Anti wrote:
    What he said :D
    lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Ah.. but the €1000 CPU may overclock that bit further than the E6600 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Should go way higher than 2.7ghz.

I have an E6320 and it will do 2800 without voltage increase. Your higher multiplier should get your chip to 3ghz without any problem.
    What RAM have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Am planning to go to 3.0ghz tonight,
    I put the CPU under pressure today, that both cores were 100% active
    and checked my temps which were 39-45C.... How does that fare???
    Have not touched RAM as TBH mine is only Kingston Value Ram so cant imagine that they'd be great...... It's only 667mhz 5300

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

idle temps or wha?

Full load! Both processing cores were 100% according to my vista sidebar gadget!

• Advertisement

You will reach the limit of your RAM before the CPU unless you use a divider in the BIOS so your RAM does not exceed it's rated speed.
    Your temps are fine if that's load temps you posted...I have the Ninja and my temps do not exceed 50c even with both cores pushed to 100% with Orthos.

I'm just using 1:1 ratio now... so if I keep the ram at 667mhz should I still oc another bit? Or should I (TRY) bring the ram to 800mhz?

Personally I'd keep the RAM as close to stock speed as you can while you see how far the CPU will go. Once you have a stable OC then try upping the RAM speed...slowly :D

Hmmm are you familiar with MSI Bios? I entered 1520 for 3ghz (That's 4x 380FSB= 1520) and did not touch the RAM. It didn't post? I also didn't come across any option in Bios to change RAM CPU ratio-
    There is three options for CPU overclock...
    Auto
    Linked
    Manual

For 3 ghz I entered under manual and kept Ram at 667 (should 333 or 667 be entered for ram clock speed?)
    Any ideas?

Hey guys, am at 3.0ghz now. Will stress test in morn, did a bit of research... apparently on my mobo there is a hole between 3.0 and 3.2 and will not post if between those two!
    So, what is normal temps? Or acceptable at least?

I don't know the MSI BIOS at all.

As long as your load temps are 60c or below you don't need to worry.

Advertisement