Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL: someone stealing my cap ( I know not another NTL thread)

Options
  • 23-05-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Something really weird i discovered today...

Im having the same problem that most people are having with NTL, I got a callback today. WOW I know! but while getting nowhere with the agent, in the course of the conversation he mentoned that I had seriously gone over my CAP to the tune of about 50GB

I was shocked! I didnt even have that much free space on my HD at the start of the month..

I just mentoned it, and he said in fact you are downloading quite a bit now, That was really interesting as I was at work and my computer was turned off <only one in the house>

I explained this and he said not possible, my figures dont lie, done on MAC addresses and cant be cloned..

I checked my logs on the wireless router and found no leechers

This is very strange indeed,

It has me really worried, anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Try upgrading your encryption to WPA. Just as a matter of interest, have you set up any sort of encryption on your router? You could also try turning the signal broadcast off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I had a look into this before, it seems its possible to steal your MAC and clone it. I wont go into any of the detail but it seems to be done alot in the UK. I'd ask to have my modem replaced If its not your wireless thats at fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if its not wireless then NTL have probably 'leaked' a modem . Get it changed straight away .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Makes me think... The number of people without encryption is astounding. I installed a new wireless router in my sister in laws, or at least I thought I did until I couldn't get the VOIP aTa set up. I spent ages on it witholut success so I brought wireless router and ata home. It was only then I realised that I was setting up port forwarding etc on the wireless router of one of their neghbours instead ( using wireless laptop). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sponge Bob wrote:
    if its not wireless then NTL have probably 'leaked' a modem

What do you mean by that:confused:

Someone knowing the CM mac and customers location and leaking that info to someone else. Bit OTT unless I've picked you up incorrectly.

Seeing that you have a wireless setup well then that's a whole different picture. What encryption do you use. Do you turn the modem and router off when not in use?
    50gb sounds like someone's up to something somewhere.
    It was only then I realised that I was setting up port forwarding etc on the wireless router of one of their neghbours instead ( using wireless laptop).

I've had a customer complaining about the on/off service of their BB connection only to find that their modem wasn't even plugged in(they didn't even have the modems power supply) They were picking up the neighbours unencrypted signal from the appt beside them.
    Not getting at the OP, but just another silly little tale about the wireless end of things. Although someone that didn't even cop that their modem wasn't even on needs their head checked. Strange but true.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

The wireless router that NTL give come unencrypted as default, I know 2 people had them install and had to help them setting up the security. That was before xmas might have changed since them.

If that was your case you could complain to them about it.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

delop wrote:
    I explained this and he said not possible, my figures dont lie, done on MAC addresses and cant be cloned..
    But that'll be the MAC address of the router, everything connected wirelessly will be on the local network so NTL won't see anything suspicious. You've obviously got someone leeching somehow.

Enable WPA if you haven't already (and if it's available on your router). Switch off SSID broadcast and change the name of the router. If someone was connected previously then switching off alone won't help as their computer will be able to reconnect unless you change the name. Switch off DHCP in the router too, and I'd also change the IP address. If it's currently 192.168.1.1 then make it 192.169.2.1 or something else. Change your computer's IP to something in the same range, eg. 192.168.2.2. Enable MAC address filtering too if you can.
    I checked my logs on the wireless router and found no leechers
    Has your router got very advanced logs though? My router is pretty crap for this sort of thing so maybe that's it. Could it also be the leecher deleting his tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off topic posts split off to this thread.

Advertisement