Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsofter With Cheap Radio In need of Assistance

Options
  • 23-05-2007 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I play Airsoft(Boards Airsoft Forum) which is a sport like paintball but using 6mm Pellets. Its Vey Millitary Simulating with 1:1 replica Automatic Markers.

For this Radios can be handy for Tactical Co-ordination. We got cheap "Walkie talkies"(Pic Below) which I guess are PMR from Argos. They Surprisoingly work very well. Then I got 2 throat mics of ebay for them....nothing. Those mics have a jack with three divisions(Rings) but the charger only has two divisions(Charger and headset all on one port).

Somone said Motorola Talkabout compatible ones should work with them. Found this one.

While this is the Non working one.

Shat the problem(rings on jack)?
    Will the linked one Work?

Thanks
    LB

challenge-gs100-twin.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Replies 0
    Comon, dont fail me boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's an issue with the connection alright I'd imagine.

I assume that the extra contact(s) are to facilitate the PTT (Push to Talk) switch.

What I'm not getting is how the connection is shared by the charger and the headset. Would you mind elaborating?

What does the charger input look like? I'm guessing it's a similiar jack but with only one black ring (i.e two connections)?

!LargéMundo Pictures!
    Ok, the left is the charger (Came with radios and works)
    Right is the Non-working Headset.

They both fit into the same(and only) Port(2nd Pic)
    DSC00853.jpg
    DSC00854.jpg

My next stupid question :)

The socket on the radio is definitely for use with a headset as well?

It's just that it's a fairly complex switching operation, that being the case.

Tbh, I'm not familiar with this model at all, but if there was a recommended headset in the book, that say, a picture of could be found online, then we'd be able to figure out fairly quickly what configuration on the plug will work and what won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The wiring of 4 pole jacks is not standardised. Manufacterers don't even agree on which is the earth (screen) connection, which ought to be the one closest to case.

It is technically possible to use a regular 3 pole jack very simply for Ear, Mic, PTT and charge! No clever internal switching required.

There are THREE incompatible wiring schemes for 4 pole 3.5mm jack on camcorders!

Most radios combine the PTT switch and the Microphone on the same pin, the current drawn by connecting the microphone or a resistor in series with PTT switch activating transmit.

Charging via ear connection or mic connection is possible. Plug in an ordinary 3 pole 3.5mm headset. Does the Transmit activate?

Use a meter and see between the tip, ring or sleeve of plug of charger the voltage is. I's suspect + at tip and 0 at sleeve. The ring is there as it is likely combined PTT and MIC.

The 4 pole (tip, 2 ring and sleeve) are rare as they are more expensive socket. Why bother when 3 pole verison can do Ear, Mic, PTT and charge?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My own tuppence worth is that you have two options:

1) Source a headset/mic that will definitely work with the radio i.e. either the same brand as the radio, or one that you definitely know others have used with the same radio.
    2) Try and source the wiring diagram for the socket that shows which "ring" does what. Then you can modify basically any headset/mic unit to work with the radio.

Obviously the important thing here is to only use the charger you got with the radio. You won't do any damage trying other mics or headsets even if they are not compatible with the radio.

Personally what I would do is get a 3 ring plug (like the one on your charger) and figure out which ring does what, then I'd modify the mic you got appropriately. You'd need a few bits and pieces lying about to do that though (like soldering irons, bits of wire, a mic/speaker) and a multimeter is handy also.

Fair play watty, and Paulo.

I hope you won't be charging me for all this education I'm getting ;)

Ok, first of all, its a pretty cheap radio so there is no headset made for it. The Manual/Box are Junk("How to insert the battery" kinda thing). Doesnt even give the band though I presume its PMR.

Cant find anybody on the net who has a headset for one and nobody I know has one.

Dont think I can do any damage to the radio by messin with the connections...

Gonna take the port off some headphones from an old Portable tape player and giv it a shot.

Report back soon.

Thanks Guys
    LB

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Ok, now I managed to get just the pin out of its rubber casing.:D
    The top connection goes to the point, the middle to middle and the remaining section is all one piece.

Now,:eek: the Headset....cut and De-sheathed it:
    Nylon cord (I think)
    4 tiny wires with plastic insulation(2blue, 1 red, 1 Brown)
    Screen I think(Loose strands surrounding the others)

Now how do I jery-rig them to work....this may be out of my league but i can solder(A bit:p )

• Advertisement

More: Got some Assistnce from my dad(Pretty usefull thing to have). (He's a real DIY'r and was into CB when there were only a few(about 8) people in dublin with CBs).

Anyway, we found(by openeing it up) that red and brown go to the throat vibration mic and the blue and bluey-green(looked the same earlier) go to the speaker which goes through the Audio pipe to my ear. Now...how to connect em...I'l try a fer combinations;)

Any joy?

Been Busy, gonna try some stuff now in a bit:)

Advertisement