Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T-SQL SCOPE_IDENTITY() in Stored Procedure

Options
  • 23-05-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I am writing a stored procedure in T-SQL where I need to get the last id of a table where I do an INSERT.

If I do something like the following
    CREATE PROCEDURE procedure1

AS
    BEGIN
        declare @Pos int
        INSERT INTO test (col1) values ('TTT');
        set @pos = SCOPE_IDENTITY();
        print @pos
        SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY();
    END
    GO

@pos will print out as something like 143 while the SELECT will return 144 which is the correct id of the last inserted record. If I had 10 insert statements then @pos will be 143 and the SELECT will return 153. Why is the incorrect value being stored in @pos as I need it to be stored in a variable to access it in the stored procedure. I am using MSSQL 2000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Select @pos = SCOPE_IDENTITY()

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Hi kernel, I tried that method with the same result. The strange thing is both methods work even though they print out a different value than the accual one. Take for example the following procedure. If the highest value in the identity column in the table 'test' had a value of 17 before running it, it will print out 18 18 and will return 19. The table 'test' will have a new row 'Bar' in col1 and 19 in the identity column.
    CREATE PROCEDURE procedure1

AS
    BEGIN
        DECLARE @pos int;

INSERT INTO test (col1) VALUES ('Foo');

SET @pos = SCOPE_IDENTITY();
        PRINT @pos;
        UPDATE test SET col1='Bar' WHERE id = @pos;
        SELECT @pos = SCOPE_IDENTITY();
        PRINT @pos;
        SELECT SCOPE_IDENTITY();

END

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

How are you testing your return value?

More importantly...in your second example, if the UPDATE is working, then @POS is set to the correct value (18 in your example).

Why not change your final select to be SELECT @Pos and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Bonkey I use SQL Manager 2005 to test the procedures. It displays a table with the returned data In this case one cell with the value 19 in it.

I tried putting SELECT @pos at the end and it indeed returns 19. I find this behaviour strange. Why is it printing 18 inside the procedure? and even updates the correct row when that rows id is 19. I read that the scope_identity dosen't get updated until after the procedure has executed but this still dosent explain how it can update the correct row while containing the wrong value.

Advertisement