Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will Bertie last?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

How much longer do ye think Bertie has left as leader of FF?

Regardless of whether they get back into Government or not, his dodgy finances are going to catch up to him and Mahon is likely to be the end of him.

He should already be gone, given that he lied to the Irish public last year regarding the "loans" that he was given by his "friends".

Once the election is over though, there will be no hiding behind accusations of an "election smear campaign" to protect him questions and protect him from the truth.

I reckon Cowan will be leader of FF by the end of the year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

You forget sir, he is

''‘the most cunning, the most devious of them all …’ CJ Haughey

If he succeeds at the election and at the Tribunal, then as long as he wants.

If he falls at either hurdle though, not long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He said he'll retire when he is 60 so he has 5 years left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Unless FF return to government with the PDs I can't see any other party willing to go into government with him as Taoiseach with all the crap that is expected to come out in the Mahon Tribunal very soon.

I think we'll have a new Taoiseach on June 14th if FF are returned to government or not.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

If all comes to all and Labour have to go into government with FF, Bertie will be gone. Pat Rabbitte has said already said he'd rather work with Cowan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why would FF get rid of Bertie Ahern?

Without him they would receive a serious drop in votes.

Bertie Ahern as a figure head is one of the reasons people across the country will be voting Fianna Fail tomorrow.

And i personally believe that it really could be a huge victory for FF tomorrow, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Why would FF get rid of Bertie Ahern?

Without him they would receive a serious drop in votes.

Bertie Ahern as a figure head is one of the reasons people across the country will be voting Fianna Fail tomorrow.

The last thing FF want to lose is their carefully constructed marketing ''man of the people'' product, Ahern not being Taoiseach will not be of their choice. At the end of the day the party is beigger than the individual and if it means FF keeping power Ahern will be gone by request of future coalition partners (ie. Labour and Greens).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Unless FF return to government with the PDs I can't see any other party willing to go into government with him as Taoiseach with all the crap that is expected to come out in the Mahon Tribunal very soon.

I think we'll have a new Taoiseach on June 14th if FF are returned to government or not.....
    In fairness I'd say most of the smaller parties would be more than willing to get a bit of power into their hands and join either FG or FF in government. I have no problems with FF staying in power (granted they have a few crappy ministers) but I pray that the PDs don't get enough votes to join them - especially McDougal.

I doubt Bertie will step down straight away after the election if FF get back into government but he probably will 1 or 2 years after in order to boost Cowen's chances of getting elected taoiseach after the next term. I think Cowan would make a good taoiseach. He seems like a good talker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't think the PDs will even make it to the next election..they're party leader may even lose his seat in this one.

I think if FF out bertie will go immediatly and try to disassosiate himself as much from the party as possible ahead of the tribunial.

Anyone else have a feeling of "tip of the ice-berg" here? CJH II :rolleyes:

FF, are they all the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Pat Rabbite may mince his words or stand down to let a new leader become Taniste alongside the Great Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Nick wrote:
    I don't think the PDs will even make it to the next election..they're party leader may even lose his seat in this one.

I think if FF out bertie will go immediatly and try to disassosiate himself as much from the party as possible ahead of the tribunial.

FF, are they all the same?

between the signing of blank checks, money from businessmen who end up on state boards and houses being left in wills i think we've seen enough of the iceberg already.

frankly, in any other country in western europe, bar italy, bertie would be caught up in a serious investigation by now and would have been forced to step down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'd love to see Bertie be forced out of leadership. he's done enough to warrant it too, can't see it happening though. he is coated in teflon afterall...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

i'd love to see Bertie be forced out of leadership. he's done enough to warrant it too, can't see it happening though. he is coated in teflon afterall...

Teflon may be non-stick ... but it *can* be buried ...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Nick wrote:

I like to think of Bertie as the poor man's CJ,

My own theory on this is that, given the risks, the pay for TD's and Ministers is lousy, If you have real ability you will stay away, so we get the occasional really bright TD and the rest are mediocre idealsts, sons/daughters of TDs' or kleptocrats.

Drop the number of TD's to ~ 80, 50 direct election, 30 on a list system (facilitates smaller parties), and pay them properly, then you will have real ability competing with inarticulate and dim,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I like to think of Bertie as the poor man's CJ,

My own theory on this is that, given the risks, the pay for TD's and Ministers is lousy,
    this is about the highest paid td's and ministers in europe where did you come from boy

this is about the highest paid td's and ministers in europe where did you come from boy

It's high, but considering the hours, it's not great, you have to be permenantly on guard and polite to everyone 24/7.

add the multi seat constitiuency element and resulting parish pump politics to the mix and it's a very tough gig if your seat is not that safe. my point is, seats should not be safe, the pay should reflect a potential 5 year contract with anti social hours and the capacity to be sacked even if YOU do nothing wrong. There is easier money out there... I would also have the above in an environment of repealed lible laws and draconian corruption legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It's high, but considering the hours, it's not great, you have to be permenantly on guard and polite to everyone 24/7.

ROFL wtf? What exactly do you think politics entails?

Our politicians get outstanding money considering the p*ss-poor job they do, not to mention the high levels of absinteeism from dail sessions ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Smarmore

Is anyone else here not a little bit disturbed at the thought of Brian Cowen as Taoiseach? The man is the ultimate BIFFO and doesn't exactly come across very well in terms of appearance or personality. People are laughing at John Bracken, the independent running from Offally, even though Cowen looks like just as much of a muck savage. He's also very ignorant and bullish which I don't think will improve our international reputation as people. Bertie is bad enough in that regard never mind Cowen!! Dermot Ahern should be the next leader of Fianna Fail and I think he would represent the country much better than either his namesake Bertie or Cowen!! He's proven this in his role as Minister for Foreign Affairs and his involvement in the Peace Process.

Lemming wrote:
    ROFL wtf? What exactly do you think politics entails?

Our politicians get outstanding money considering the p*ss-poor job they do, not to mention the high levels of absinteeism from dail sessions ....

In the most part i agree, we get poor value for money out of them because they are inefective, we are recruiting the wrong sort into politics and lumbering the obligations (attend all funerals etc) of multi-seat constituencies on them.

But it's really anti social work with no job security nonetheless, that sort of job will always attract chancers with hard necks and no scruples (sound familiar?)

• Advertisement

Smarmore wrote:
    Is anyone else here not a little bit disturbed at the thought of Brian Cowen as Taoiseach? The man is the ultimate BIFFO and doesn't exactly come across very well in terms of appearance or personality. Dermot Ahern should be the next leader of Fianna Fail and I think he would represent the country much better than either his namesake Bertie or Cowen!! He's proven this in his role as Minister for Foreign Affairs and his involvement in the Peace Process.

Despite being a Dyed in the wool blue-shirt, I like Cowen , but would prefer Dermot, Either would be preferable to Micheal Martin .

and any of the 3 would be infinitly better than the "rat in the anorak". (Did CJ actually call him that, or was it a scrap saturday gem?)

that said we need him wrecked so he can't become the rat in the Áras. (insert joke here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Thats why Bertie (The most cunning... etc) put him there, Finance is the penultimate job, if you hold the ultimate job, you are going to try protect your position by putting a Biffo there...

Advertisement