Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radio Problem

Options
  • 23-05-2007 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I was driving home on Sunday, about a 3 hour drive from Dublin, and after driving for about 2 hrs., I was stopped at some roadwork traffic lights so I turned off my engine. When I turned it back on again, the radio took a minute to come on (as it usually does) but instead of working, it made a loud noise, and some smoke came out of it. I turned it off, and checked to see if the smoke was definitely coming from the radio, which it was. The car works fine, but the funny thing is, the radio seems to be working again. Does anyone know what exactly happened with it, and can anyone recommend a good place for car radios to get a replacement (website, shop, etc. (I can get it fitted myself))?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be inclined to replace it asap. Does it remain connected to power when the ignition is off? If so, i'd pull it out now. You really don't want it setting your car on fire. What make is it? If you're replacing it with one of the same make then you should be able to do the swap yourself, as the connectors should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭fitzgese

It's the standard tape player that came with the car (97 Nissan Primera). I'm not sure if it remains connected to power when the ignition is off. I'll probably put a C.D. player instead, so it won't be the same brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it shouldn't take a long time to come on anyway, has this been happening for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is it part of the dash, or does it sit in a normal DIN slot (like the radios on older cars). Is it badged Nissan, or does it have another manufacturers name on it?

97 is a standard DIN if i remember correctly. the horrible '00 facelifted model getting an intergrated stereo

• Advertisement

It's the standard DIN slot. It's badged Nissan. It's always taken a long time to come on, around 4-5 seconds, sometimes longer, even since I got it.

I'd get the wiring checked before installing a new stereo

Yeah I think I'll get the wiring checked, thanks for the advice. :)

Advertisement