Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be your dream History paper?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

This is not a predictions thread. What one topic from each book do you want to come up in three weeks time. At the end of the day we'll only be answering one question on each section. I think we all have favourite topics - topics that we'd be very comfortable answering and can more-or-less rattle off at this stage moreso than anything else on the course. Here are my choices:

Sovereignty and partition: Policies of Northern Irish government
    Nation States and International tensions: Developments in science, medicine and technology including the motor car
    Dictatorship and democracy: Anglo-American popular culture

As for the document question, I don't care so long as its not the 1885/86 election

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Dismantling the treaty or a question on society during the war

how nazis established a totalitarian regime

eastern question or church/state relations

Lockout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

GAA

Question on the Rising, Civil War or War of Independence

Role of Propaganda- Nazis, or Stalin's rise to power.

Civil Rights Movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Documents question - 1913 Lockout.Don't like the elections, and theres only so much you can write about the GAA.

Irish essay - 1916 rising/War of Independence-Civil War.Or an essay on all 3.That would be good as well.

Dictatorship and Democracy - Rise of fascist regimes (plural).But that came up last year so i'm not too hopeful.I also wouldn't mind the rise of communism in Russia (including the show trials).

Division and Realignment - Western economies 1945-1973 would be my favourite, although i'd also love a question on the soviet economies 1945-1990, or a question on the 1973 oil crisis (although again that came up last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

Leaving Cert History 2007

Exam Number:

Preferred Grade(Please circle): A1, A2

We can dream....

Seriously: Lockout, Ireland (North & South) during WW2, Propaganda in Germany, Vietnam War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

For europe, something about the nazi policies (antisemitism, expansionism etc), for america the collapse of consensus, coz that's more about abstract social/economic concepts than dates and suchlike...for the irish pater to be honest I'd prefer a paper that just didn't happen, coz I haven't a CLUE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

One that, when I open it, is blank besides huge bold letters saying 'Congrats, you get an A1, go home and sleep, you deserve it.'

Only chance I have of even passing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gaa

T2(E): Events that caused the outbreak of WW1

T3(I): CnG/FF policies(preferablly both, but not FF on its own)

T3(E): How did Lenin & Stalin create a totalitarian state 1917-1939

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

GAA.

T1 (Europe 1) = Bismarck's realpolitik, events that caused ww1.

T2 (Europe 2) = Anything on the nazis.

T3 (Irish 2) = FF foreign policy, Norn Iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Lockout.

Irish: Sinn Fein development from 1906-1918 / Anglo-Irish Relations
    Dictatorship and Democracy: Hitler or Mussolini
    Division and Realignment: haven't started even looking at that yet, so something super-simple, like ... emm.... What was the Cold War, and why did it start? That'd be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Documents: 1913 Lockout

Nation States: The Eastern Question

Dictatorship and Democracy: Causes of WW2

Pursuit of Sovereignty: Sinn Fein, Easter Rising, Frst Dail...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

GAA/ strike and lockout..not bothered!

Dictatorship and democracy: anything on hitler..esp propaganda or churcsate relations!
    Pursuit of Sovereignty: rise of sinn fein..the treaty or anglo-irish relations

Division and Realignment: gorbachev or 2nd vatican council!

I want an a1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

GAA

Fall of Home Rule party/Rise Sinn Fein 1918

The home front during WW2

Stalin whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

nuremberg rallies

colerain controvery

stalin totalotarianism

GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

document = strike and lock out

irish essay = sinn fein 1918 general election.

european 1 = how did the nazis use propaganda to maintain control over population.

european2 = literature and social criticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

GAA, Treaty, Home Front/Nazi Propaganda, Martin Luther King.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

documents: the lockout cos i dont know anythin else

dictatorship and democracy: propaganda, how the nazis established a totalitarian regime, anythin on mussolini

sovereignty and partition: how dev's nationalist policies affected his relationship with britain or somethin like that on the treaty!

that america book thing:any of the above questions... i dont even know the name of the poxy book cos we did about one chapter and then graduated... feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hey I know this isn't on-topic, but its relevant (and could be quite useful) to everyone sitting the LC history exam, and since this seemed like the most active history topic I thought i'd post it here.As you probably know 2FM are doing somehting called ''606'', a leaving cert program that has experts on the subjects/exams on to talk about the leaving and answer some questions from students.Anyways I downloaded the history one today and listened to it and was quite surprised.On it was Sean Delap (he wrote at least 2 of the european history books) and he mentioned something very interesting about the essay section.

While we all know that the 100 marks are divided into 60 marks for historical content, and 40 for overall evaluation, what we (or at least I) didn't know is that even if we write about something OUTSIDE the dates we're told, we can still get up to 24 marks for it (as long as its actually relevant to the question of course).So thats a minimum of 2 full paragraphs you can write that don't have to be in the date limits (he mentioned an example of writing an essay about the treaty negotations, and then writing a paragraph on both the anglo-irish war, and the civil war).Anyways I thought i'd share it here, because I know many people don't bother to listen to those podcasts, and though some people could benefit from it.

Advertisement