Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Name Casualties

Options
  • 23-05-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

I may put a score on Mary Harney or Ruairi Quinn

Who else do you think could be surprisingly vulnerable for getting the chop by the voters?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

McDougal (sic). That muppet simply MUST get kicked out of Justice.

If he is given the boot I will be heading to his political grave with a big bag of yokes and the Now Thats What I Call Techno 1,274 compilation CD.

PDie Die Die.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

I may put a score on Mary Harney or Ruairi Quinn

Who else do you think could be surprisingly vulnerable for getting the chop by the voters?

Mary Harney is pretty safe I would have thought? I've heard reports that Pat Carey, Joan Burton, Liz O'Donnell, Fiona O'Malley, Tom Parlon, Jackie Healy Rae and Roisin Shortall are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Joan Burton is in trouble i belive, dublin west is 3 seats with Lenihan guranteed 1 seat its a dog fight for the other 2. Quinn has never really bein safe in dublin se so it wudn't be a major major shock if he missed out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I hope Jackie Healy Rae misses out. That man's an embarrassment to national politics. Beverly Flynn and Michael Lowry are others I'd like to see go, it's a disgrace that people would still vote for crooks like them, but unfortunately it's unlikely they'll lose their seats. Speaking of crooks, I think Ivor Callely is going to lose his, which will make me very happy indeed. And of course if a miracle did happen and McDowell failed to get back in there would be much rejoicing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd be very surprised if Quinn loses his seat tbh. I know he barely got in last time, and Lucinda Creighton is within a very good chance of getting a seat(I hope she does,at Michael Mc Dowells expense preferably or alternativly that FF have no seat here). The fact remains that Mc Dowell has never held his seat in the Dáil. I still think he will get in, and FF will have no seat here, with Creighton taking that seat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ateam wrote:
    Mary Harney is pretty safe I would have thought?

RTÉ predict that she'll hold onto her seat unfortunately. She won't be getting my vote in Mid-West anyway. I'd absolutely love it if she lost her seat to Joanne Spain (Sinn Féin). Not very likely but it would be great.

Dublin se,That could happen fianna fail had 9000 first preferences in 2002 with 2 candidates and with ryan staying in europe that will have a bearing, it'll be very tight id say 1ff 1fg 1green 1pd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You know im begingin to think that we could finally get FG and FF to unite something.... Get McDowell out!

Seriously i can just see a pub where FF,FG, Labour, Green and even SF all raise a glass together to the though of him being knocked out......

If only.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if he lost his seat anyway! it could be between creighton and him for the last seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin SE has five and a half secure seats in a 4 seat constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I think a wipe out of PDs in Limerick would be a shock, considering it is where the party was founded by Des O'Malley.

Brennan hasnt a hope in Limerick West, and the last seat in Limerick East is looking more like a battle between noreen ryan and kieran O'Donnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Dublin SE is ripe for some big-name loss

I reckon Lucinda Creighton, one FF, McDowell and John Gormley will get in with Ruairí Quinn losing out.

Quinn for several reasons:
    1. He came close to losing last time
    2. Labour support seems to be dropping in the polls
    3. Where I live in Ranelagh, he doesn't seem to have put in the work that other candidates have. Perhaps he has in the other parts of the constituency but not in Ranelagh (I'm doing finals at the moment so I only am aware of anything that arises on my walk to the bus in Donnybrook!)

Also Joan Burton (fingers crossed). I have a feeling we'll see a big FF lose out...someone like Dick Roche or someone similarly incompetent (although don't shout me down on that, I haven't got any figures!)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Jim higgins is apparently in some trouble in Dublin West
    Real dog fight on here for seats .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

im from Dub SE and only Jim OCallaghan has come a knocking on doors?! seems decent enough, will prob give him number one. McDowell, meh... Ruari Quinn, I think his time has passed and that Lucinda Creighton, she's not a constitutency politician and i have never heard of her until last year - she seems to have never visited the south city so she wont be getting my vote, or at least very low down the list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

I hope Jackie Healy Rae misses out. That man's an embarrassment to national politics.

Did you see his torchlight procession the other night in Listowel (Tralee?)
    It reminded me of the nazis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Did you see his torchlight procession the other night in Listowel (Tralee?)
    It reminded me of the nazis
    Ah, Listowel and Tralee are in Kerry North, JHR is running in Kerry South. Maybe Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Micheal Woods Dublin NE
    And Ivor the engine Dublin NC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm in Dublin SE...I'd LOVE to see McDowel lose his seat...I reckon it's between Michael McDowel and Ruari Quinn...one of the is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Jakkass wrote:
    RTÉ predict that she'll hold onto her seat unfortunately. She won't be getting my vote in Mid-West anyway. I'd absolutely love it if she lost her seat to Joanne Spain (Sinn Féin). Not very likely but it would be great.
    Are you mad?

You want Sinn Féin to increase their representation? Have you seen their manifesto? It's an absolute joke. And she would be fecking useless in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I think at least one of three PD bigwigs (Harney,McDowell,O'Donnell) is bound to go. . . Hope its's the ugly bald arrogant one !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

which one???? :)

I'm in Dublin West and the word out here is that Varadkar will take joan Burtons seat. He's been pretty visible around here and as of about 10 mins ago was out on the road sticking thank you stickers over his posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ibid wrote:
    Have you seen their manifesto? It's an absolute joke. And she would be fecking useless in opposition.
    As opposed to the PD manifesto.

Left-wing; bad. Right-wing; good.

If brian hayes doesn't make it back in Dublin south west that will be huge and a big shock to fine gael, he has been Enda Kennys prefect around leinster house, i pray to god almighty he loses out again.

As opposed to the PD manifesto.

Left-wing; bad. Right-wing; good.
    No.

PDs: I disagree with but it's all there
    SF: is an absolute joke and I still disagree with.

For example they want to spend money on public services but also nationalise Aer Lingus, Irish Ferries and Eircom. What a fecking waste of a few billion that would be, far better spent on hospital beds.

And I don't think the abolition of the Offences Against the State Act is either left-wing or right-wing, it's just stupid. Just patently stupid and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

TheVan wrote:
    Dublin SE is ripe for some big-name loss

I reckon Lucinda Creighton, one FF, McDowell and John Gormley will get in with Ruairí Quinn losing out.

Quinn for several reasons:
    1. He came close to losing last time
    2. Labour support seems to be dropping in the polls
    3. Where I live in Ranelagh, he doesn't seem to have put in the work that other candidates have. Perhaps he has in the other parts of the constituency but not in Ranelagh (I'm doing finals at the moment so I only am aware of anything that arises on my walk to the bus in Donnybrook!)

Also Joan Burton (fingers crossed). I have a feeling we'll see a big FF lose out...someone like Dick Roche or someone similarly incompetent (although don't shout me down on that, I haven't got any figures!)

Ivan Yates disagrees with you. He reckons that Lucinda Creighton will top the poll and this will hurt McDowell [fingers crossed] who only gets votes from disaffected FGers seeing as this is natural FG territory. McDowell out! *Touch wood*

Mary Harney to keep her seat as her constituency is now a 4 seater

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ibid wrote:
    For example they want to spend money on public services but also nationalise Aer Lingus, Irish Ferries and Eircom. What a fecking waste of a few billion that would be, far better spent on hospital beds.
    Selling Eircom (well, the infrastructure network anyway) was disastrous for the country. My bill has actually rocketed since the privatisation of Eircom.

Selling Irish Ferries resulted in the exploitation of foreign workers by the privatised company.

Since Aer Lingus has been privatised, I haven't seen any reduction in fares. Infact, if anything, charges have actually increased.

Thanks for that PD's. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If McDowell or Harney lose their seat I will probably be drunk for a week, I think FF may lose or two big names too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

nurse_baz wrote:
    the word out here is that Varadkar will take joan Burtons seat. He's been pretty visible around here and as of about 10 mins ago was out on the road sticking thank you stickers over his posters.

I saw that driving home through Castleknock this evening, the Doc must be quite confident, would I be right in saying he got the highest number of first preferences in the State in the local elections of 2004? Could be on course for junior ministry in health if FG get into power?

Selling Eircom (well, the infrastructure network anyway) was disastrous for the country. My bill has actually rocketed since the privatisation of Eircom.
    That's not a reasons to buy it back. Also, look into changing your service provider.
    Selling Irish Ferries resulted in the exploitation of foreign workers by the privatised company.
    That's not a reason to buy it back.
    Since Aer Lingus has been privatised, I haven't seen any reduction in fares. Infact, if anything, charges have actually increased.
    Aer Lingus was sold a year ago and oil has risen since then, give it time. Also, that's not a reason to buy it back.
    Thanks for that PD's. :rolleyes:
    That's not a reason to vote SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hope its's the ugly bald arrogant one !

So Harney, then? :D

Advertisement