Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary I-Arts Subjects

Options
  • 23-05-2007 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hi I'm considering Primary Teaching in Mary I am curious however to find out about the arts subjects? I'm thinking of English French Geography and Theology. Which ones are recommended as I heard a lot of the arts subjects in Mary I are awful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

2nd hand advice as my wife is doing B.ed in Mary I.

Geography is supposed to be very tough.

Avoid Philosophy. First lecturer was terrible, pretty much just reading out of a book. Was new, and improved as time went on. Then two very good lecturers. Then there was a right Tulip. He started off by saying there's no point complaining me as I've been complained plenty times before and nothing happened. He then said he didn't care if B.Eds missed classes because of TP (teaching practice), he would continue on with the art's students. There were other incidents that made me think that controls over lecturers were few and far between at Mary I - general impression was that he thought Philosophy was wasted on B.Ed students. Now that's some philosophy!

The good thing about doing Theology is that you don't have to do a separate cert. in religion.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Just finished Arts degree there. Did Geography, but it's kinda tough in 1st year, it's a bit of a shock to the system. If u pick it again for subsequent years, it gets more interesting though, and u'll understand it much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

I heard a lot of the arts subjects in Mary I are awful!

okay im getting worried now.... applied for primary teaching there first choice, why didnt i read this thread before it was too late to change cao

fionated7 wrote:
    okay im getting worried now.... applied for primary teaching there first choice, why didnt i read this thread before it was too late to change cao

Still probably the best place to get your B.Ed degree. It's an honours degree for a start and worth approx €5k more in pay each year. In fairness every college course is going to have bad lecturers, and some modules are going to be taught better than others.

Good luck either way, besides I think you can still change your cao choices AFAIK.

ah twill be grand, everything happens for a reason i guess... n if i do get it n land wiv bad lecturers il jus have to put in some extra effort myself...

• Advertisement

fionated7 wrote:
    ah twill be grand, everything happens for a reason i guess... n if i do get it n land wiv bad lecturers il jus have to put in some extra effort myself...

It was the extra €5k wasn't it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

heya. im just after finishing 1st year im doin arts. for 1st year i did english psychology history & geography. english is good if you like english, and if u even did pass for the leaving or consider your self not good at it that doesnt matter in my experience english for the leaving is nothing compared to leaving. the way they teach stuff in college is different and more interesting. history is really really interesting- i hadnt done it since junior cert and i loved it, the lecturers are very nice. came out wit a B2 in summer exams!!! ohh ya you have no final exam its all essay based. psychology is prob my favourite subject of all.totally different to other subjects. very interesting, you learn about behaviour why people act certain ways ect. its examined by MCQ-multipial choice questions. then geography - this is actually a hard subject!!! if you like it its half the battle doh.

if your doing arts and at the end of the day wana do primary teaching you have to do irish

smcgiff wrote:
    It was the extra €5k wasn't it! ;)

well that and the fact that i prob wont get my first choice cao anyways so whats the point worry bout it??

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

i'm doing the arts course down there at the mo and its great. i did it for media and it's first class, with a radio station in the college to boot for getting practical experience. the arts course is fine. sure there's some duds of lecturers, but that's the same as everywhere. b.ed. seems to be a lot of work though

Advertisement