Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL is changing my e-mail address

Options
  • 23-05-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Important customer announcement from NTL today;
    As of June 6th your e-mail address is changing from username@ntlworld.ie to username@upcmail.ie

This is a major pain for me, I use my ntl e-mail for my forum & web profiles, not to mention all my personal mail.

The upside of this is that; the only thing preventing me from changing ISP was the thought of having to change my e-mail address

I would convey this information to NTL myself but they never answer the phone, the letter I got was not exactly a request for comment, any e-mails I get from them usually come from a no-reply address

Are NTL shooting themselves in the foot again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah we got that letter a few days ago. Its due to the UPC take over, and hopefully it means that we are one step closer to the full rebranding.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

some hope, I read elsewhere that they had a meeting of customer support staff (all 2 of them) to find out why customers are deserting them,
    When BT took over Esatclear they left existing customers with their esatclear addresses.. AFAIK the mail server is still there, NTL could simply redirect ntlworld.ie mail, they still own the domain,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Since the takeover the only consistent thing displayed by UPC is contempt for customers. It really is difficult to believe that anyone could have made the old NTL look good but they have certainly succeeded in that feat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

dub45 wrote:
    Since the takeover the only consistent thing displayed by UPC is contempt for customers. It really is difficult to believe that anyone could have made the old NTL look good but they have certainly succeeded in that feat!
    I don't think thats exactly fair, Up until Upc started getting their fingers in, the original Ntl were probably the best isp in Ireland, there was hardly a bad word spoken about them until the changeover started happening and they began routing through Amsterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have to agree with 'smellslikeshoes'. Since the old NTL sorted out up their billing department (pre-NTL broadband) they were consistently good to deal with for me and anyone I know. Any dealings I've had with either them or their field service engineers have always been excellent. The notable exception would probably be customers in a few areas that had ongoing issues in the cable network.

I'd advise anyone against using an ISP provided e-mail address as their primary address. It's not the kind of tie-in I'd ever want to have.

• Advertisement

I don't think thats exactly fair, Up until Upc started getting their fingers in, the original Ntl were probably the best isp in Ireland, there was hardly a bad word spoken about them until the changeover started happening and they began routing through Amsterdam.

I accept your point in relation to them as an isp - my dealings with them were as a cable tv customer and they were consistently awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

That's ****e about your email address - this is why I always advise someone to get an non-ISP dependant email address.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not only will they change your email address, they also changed their user policy.
    Now what i wonder about, i signed up with them over 2 years ago, is it legal to stick another user policy up my arse?
    Since end of december my connection, especially during peak hours, has been a complete and utter joke.

Call support, yeah right.:mad:
    Before december last year they were overpriced but good, including their customer service
    Nowadays they are only overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

inforfun wrote:
    Now what i wonder about, i signed up with them over 2 years ago, is it legal to stick another user policy up my arse?
    Yep, they usually have a term that says they reserve the right to alter any of the terms ant any time. Normally they also give you the option of canceling the service if you don't agree to the new terms, without penalty too. Not a lot of good to you if it's your only BB option but if you want to use them then you must agree to the terms, and the alterations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

this is pretty shameful. it will cost them about €50 a year to hold onto the old domain and they won't do it. bah

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    Yep, they usually have a term that says they reserve the right to alter any of the terms ant any time. Normally they also give you the option of canceling the service if you don't agree to the new terms, without penalty too. Not a lot of good to you if it's your only BB option but if you want to use them then you must agree to the terms, and the alterations too.

Usually though a company altering terms and conditions should inform their customers accordingly and then the customer has the option to accept or change. NTL/UPC seem to have arbitrarily introduced changes without formally bringing them to anyone's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I got this letter today (I dont and never have used an NTL email address) and at the end of the letter it says that the terms and conditions have been updated along with a link to view them.

I'd say that's pretty formal notification of changes.

Moriarty wrote:
    I got this letter today (I dont and never have used an NTL email address) and at the end of the letter it says that the terms and conditions have been updated along with a link to view them.

I'd say that's pretty formal notification of changes.

I agree that you can't argue with that sort of notification however I am not aware of them notifying customers formally of changes in calculation of caps or downloads or even their change of policies in relation to usage. In fact from posts on here from people who have had dealings with them it appears that they are not sure themselves what counts towards monthly usage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Dankoozy wrote:
    this is pretty shameful. it will cost them about €50 a year to hold onto the old domain and they won't do it. bah
    Yes, it's the 50 euro that's causing all the problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I never got a letter from them. I wonder where that puts me legally with their terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

cast_iron wrote:
    Yes, it's the 50 euro that's causing all the problems...

The sarcasm is strong in this one :)

The fact that they may not be allowed to keep the old NTL name may have nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just looking at NTL's new usage policy.
    Is this the first time thy've mentioned charging for
    going over your usage allowance?

http://www.ntl.ie/popup.php?ContentName=acceptable_usage_policy

1. Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or

2. Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or

3. Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

4. Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

5. Terminate your account as per the terms of the User Policy and NTL Terms and Conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I got a similar letter too. They DID say tho on it that theyre gonna be redirecting all traffic from the old addresses to the new ones up to the end of november tho.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dankoozy wrote:

Probably more to do with the fact that Virgin Media (old NTL UK) continues to own the name NTL and UPC probably only had the right to use the name for a certain amount of time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just looking at NTL's new usage policy.
    Is this the first time thy've mentioned charging for
    going over your usage allowance?

http://www.ntl.ie/popup.php?ContentName=acceptable_usage_policy

1. Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or

2. Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or

3. Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

4. Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

5. Terminate your account as per the terms of the User Policy and NTL Terms and Conditions.

That is all nice and well but i cant check my usage with them. I have a little tool running to keep an eye on usage. One of the few times i got some idiot of their support on the phone about my ongoing problem he told me i exceeded the 40 gb. According to my figures i was on 39,75 gb, up and down totall.
    The idiot ( and now the reason why he was an idiot) told me i used 25gb down and 17 gb up = 47 gb.........

I politely explained that in my days at school 25 + 17 never was much more than 42.

So the change of email address i don't care about, wasn't using the ntl one anyway. That crap of charging for over usage is unacceptable as long as i can not check my usage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

They should have changed it to chello.ie.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Lads, more than likely they'll just be redirecting the new mail addresses. The old pre-eircom "Telecom Internet" (@tinet.ie) addresses still redirect to their eircom.net equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dankoozy wrote:

It's not a question of cost - it's the fact that they now want to promote the new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

NTL addresses stopped working on June 6th, there is a re-direct to your new UPC address for 1 month, but you have to set up the new account with UPC

a few years ago I had an esatclear.ie e-mail address, it was free and I never paid them a penny, but when they we taken over by BT they set up a re-direction for e-mail and AFAIK the esatclear service is still there,

Contrast that with NTL who charge me €70 a month for TV and BB, they could not be bothered to do the same as esatclear

BTW I cancelled my NTL account with a months notice, over the last two weeks I have sent one letter and two e-mails to East Point but gotten no reply, They must have the worst customer service of all the ISP's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bebop wrote:
    a few years ago I had an esatclear.ie e-mail address, it was free and I never paid them a penny, but when they we taken over by BT they set up a re-direction for e-mail and AFAIK the esatclear service is still there,

Contrast that with NTL who charge me €70 a month for TV and BB, they could not be bothered to do the same as esatclear

Difference there is esat was completly taken over as a company. Upc only took over the irish arm of Ntl. It was probably in the conditions of the takeover that Ntl would still maintain control of the Ntl website in case they eventually wanted to come back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Trapped

Bebop wrote:
    NTL addresses stopped working on June 6th, there is a re-direct to your new UPC address for 1 month, but you have to set up the new account with UPC.

No, my @ntlworld.ie email account is still working fine after changing the POP3 login name to include the @upcmail.ie on the end. I still get all the mails addressed to the NTL account, but the From: & To: lines are being changed, to @upcmail.ie. E.g. a mail I sent to myself comes through with these headers....
    To: <me@upcmail.ie>
    X-Original-To: <me@ntlworld.ie>
    X-Original-From: "Me" <me@ntlworld.ie>

The 'X-Original' lines show the address I actually sent the mail from. When I send an email addressed from me@ntlworld.ie through to my GMail account, it arrives addressed from me@upcmail.ie, so they're doing this rewriting for every mail that passes through NTL/UPCs mail server.

UPC claim that this redirect will be in place until 30th November 2007, so I'm guessing they use the rights to use the NTL name and domain at the end of the year.

Advertisement