Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy 7.92mm Mauser ammo in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of a gun dealer in Ireland who stocks/sells 7.92mm or 8 x 57mm Mauser ammunition. Just got a K98 from the UK, but the local gun dealer can't bring in ammo. They want him to buy a pallet load of it before they will accept the order. The carrier won't ship any less than that.

Surely I'm not the only K98 owner in the whole country?

Any information would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

St. Maximilian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Which calibre is it exactly??You have two there 7.92 or 8X57 Mauser.Want to be dead on which cal you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is it possible to import the components - cases projectiles primers and powder? and then reload?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Is it possible to import the components - cases projectiles primers and powder? and then reload?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 St. Maximilian

Well to be honset I'm not sure. The gun itself doesn't have a bore diameter stamped on the receiver or barrel. It is a Mauser K98 built in 1944 in the Mauser Werke in Oberndorf. It's a Russian capture and it's been re-arsenaled.

If it's a Second World War vintage gun, I assume it's 7.92mm

St. Maximilian

Dont ASSume anything EVER with a gun!!;) .Nasty things happen then.:eek:
    OK,you say it has been re done in a Russian arsenal. In what way?Stock work,Re barreling?The Russians mostly captured German equipment by the division load in 1944 ,and then chucked it in a depot somwhere in Siberia and forgot about it for 60 odd years.:eek:
    Hence things like Tommy guns and pristine mausers and MP44s are appearing for sale again. Soo it is a 50/50 chance that they did rechamber this .
    Three ways of finding out
    [1] ring the seller and get them to clarify what they exactly sold you.
    [2] Look the gun over totally.Especially around the breech and barrel.Look for Cryllic markings,or obliberated 3rd Reich proof markings. They will be a little nazi eagle type marking.If there are both cryllic and nazi markings,you would have to google what each marking is in the western alphabet,or ask the friendly Russian embassy to translate for you.:D
    [3]Buy a dead 8mm mauser.Try either of them,which ever one fits correctly in the breech is your calibre.
    However,it is vital you find out exactly what calibre you have before you order ammo.
    Other solution would be is get this rebarreled for .308.Not a big job for a good gunsmith,and have a cheaper and easier shooting calibre:)

Ok just checked somthing here. 7.92x57 IS the correct calibre for Mauser.It is ALSO known as 7.9 or 8mm Mauser just to confuse the issue!! What got me was the "8x57 Mauser" Which is a totally different caliber but not made for the old military K98.it is a big game calibre made by Mauser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 St. Maximilian

Clare Gunner,

Grand. thanks for that.

I bought some headspace guages on the ineternet and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I'll get hold of someone on Ryton Arms tomorrow and check the actual bore diameter. Also the gun was re-proofed by Birmingham Barrel Proof House. They might know.

So, do you know of any firearms dealers that carry 7.92mm?

Well if it was reproved by Bmghm proof house.They will deffo have the calibre ,ditto Ryton Arms.
    Sorry,no idea where you would get that here.:( You could try Jim Halpin in Listowel,co Kerry[shooting&fishing supplies] He is advertising some 98Ks for sale,so maybe he can get the ammo ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

St. Maximilian,
    Might be able to help, send you a pm

Advertisement