Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENGLISH! 15 days left

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoiner

i cheaked it out, seems like a good essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Thank you. My teacher seemed to think so too.

guess what. 3 days left................

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Good essay Selphie.I shall certianly be borrowing a few points you made.

Also is anyone else getting slightly worried that Plath isn't going to be on the paper and we're all going to be ****ed?I mean i've covered Plath and Kavanagh really well, so if either of them come up i'm all set....but I don't know ANYTHING about any other poets yet (and thats not an exagerration.I can't even name 4 poems from any poet other than Kavanagh and Plath.Am planning on cramming 3 poets tomorrow) so if they don't come up, i'm in trouble.

I'm just worried that whenever they were setting the paper this happened:

Dick:''Hey Bob.I was just thinking.All the students think Plath is going to come up as the female poet....so lets completely **** 'em up and put Bishop on the paper instead''
    Bob:''But wait Dick wasn't Plath on last year?''
    Dick:''She sure was''
    Bob:''........You sly son of a ***** Dick!I like it!And hell while we're at it, why don't we just put Michael Longely, William Shakesphere and Seamus Heaney down as the other poets!''
    Dick:''But they're not even on the course this year Bob!''
    Bob:''I know''
    Both: *Burst out laughing and start typing furiously*

.......Now i'm not saying thats going to happen but if it did..... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Yah, i agree, these examiners are total assholes who just want 2 ruin our lives. i totally wouldnt be surprised. i have done bishop too, but imagine if neither of the female poets came up?! :eek: i would literally start bawling in the exam. i have had a look at kavanagh, montague and yeats but i dont know enough to get an A. plus, you know the way there's loads of different papers and they only choose one in the weeks before the exam? well, if they've been hearing everyone go on in the last few months about how plath is def going to come up, , they're hardly going to put her on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

sunflowerz wrote:
    Plath is way to obvious....id say bishop will come up again just to trick people...they did it before!

yes!!! someone else realises it!! i can't understand why everyone thinks Plath is a certainty!

blondie07 wrote:
    Yah, i agree, these examiners are total assholes who just want 2 ruin our lives. i totally wouldnt be surprised. i have done bishop too, but imagine if neither of the female poets came up?! :eek: i would literally start bawling in the exam. i have had a look at kavanagh, montague and yeats but i dont know enough to get an A. plus, you know the way there's loads of different papers and they only choose one in the weeks before the exam? well, if they've been hearing everyone go on in the last few months about how plath is def going to come up, , they're hardly going to put her on.

how long ago is weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I am betting Plath will come up but it will be a NASTY question that no one wants to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Spank wrote:
    I am betting Plath will come up but it will be a NASTY question that no one wants to answer.

Question 4. Write a letter to the President of America explaining why you think Sylvia Plath's poetry inspired racial hatred in America during the 1970's. In your letter make reference to poems that aren't on the course

if everyone answers the plath question, it could become boaring to the exminer, it might be an idea to try another poet, for your own sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Steve01 wrote:
    Question 4. Write a letter to the President of America explaining why you think Sylvia Plath's poetry inspired racial hatred in America during the 1970's.
    I believe Plaths poem ''Arrival of the bee box'' is an excellent example of her obvious dislike of the negro people.Angry, racist terms such as ''black on black, angrily clambering'' and ''it is dark, dark'' show Plath's unwarranted disdain for non-cacausian people.Plath then takes it one step further and suggests that they should all be locked up in a box where there is ''only a little grid, no exit''.Mr. President I find this to be intolerable and demand you and US congress take steps to stem racism in the future.

Yours faithfully
    Noel

.....I could make it work.

I believe Plaths poem ''Arrival of the bee box'' is an excellent example of her obvious dislike of the negro people.Angry, racist terms such as ''black on black, angrily clambering'' and ''it is dark, dark'' show Plath's unwarranted disdain for non-cacausian people.Plath then takes it one step further and suggests that they should all be locked up in a box where there is ''only a little grid, no exit''.Mr. President I find this to be intolerable and demand you and US congress take steps to stem racism in the future.

Yours faithfully
    Noel

sorry, but i think you have that poem complettely mixed up. i belive she is comparing her jumbled mind to the box of bees, the inclusion of the black people is evoking a more ambitious thought, not alone of her seclusion but the disreguard against the black race, remeber the time in which this poem is written.... to me she doesnt come across as a race ridden person, but as a thinker, like the of nelson mandela and others... the will of pacifists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Yours faithfully
    Noel

I'd give that a C at best. You forgot to mention about 'furious latin' obviously being a jab at foreign languages.

Also in child, 'this dark ceiling without a star' obviously means a sea of black without caucasian intervention to make it pleasant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It's fairly easy to notice that generally an Irish poet and a female poet have come up, we categorised our poets into
    Irish: Kavanagh, yeats
    Female: Plath, Bishop
    Gen. Modern: Eliot, Frost
    Gen. Past: Donne [who came up last year IIRC]

On a sidenote, I have done jack all study and am now pooping my pants, for the poets I mean, I rock everything else! :D [I hope...]

On a sidenote, I have done jack all study and am now pooping my pants, for the poets I mean, I rock everything else! :D [I hope...]

you seem confident of yourself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

am now pooping my pants for the poets

Do you really think about this when on the lavatory?:p

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Do you really think about this when on the lavatory?:p

very funny, have you nothing better to be thinking about at the moment.

only 1 day study left.......

Tomorrow.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Iv a short story for tomorrow that iv learnt off. but just wondering, do u get penalised for putting in "i" instead of a name. just seems to fit better when its an I kinda story, since a lot of it revolves around one person but it wudnt be much hastle to put a name in i suppose.

please please please please please please please please let plath or yeats come up! please!!!!!!!

blondie07 wrote:
    Iv a short story for tomorrow that iv learnt off. but just wondering, do u get penalised for putting in "i" instead of a name. just seems to fit better when its an I kinda story, since a lot of it revolves around one person but it wudnt be much hastle to put a name in i suppose.

please please please please please please please please let plath or yeats come up! please!!!!!!!

i hope the title of the short story you want, fits with what you have lernt.....

imagine tomorrow at 1.30 when the few thousand students open up their booklets to find plath is missing........severe disapointment.... just dont let it bring you down in other areas of the paper...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

eoiner wrote:
    did anyone listen to these podcasts, tell me what you think...
    what are u banking on for macbeth?:D ;):p:) :rolleyes: :o :mad: :( :eek: :cool: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

eoiner wrote:
    seems people havnt much interest in irelands greatest! yeats

what are u banking on for macbeth?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Steve01 wrote:
    Question 4. Write a letter to the President of America explaining why you think Sylvia Plath's poetry inspired racial hatred in America during the 1970's. In your letter make reference to poems that aren't on the course

Imagine man!

Kingship, Lady Macbeth?!

THATS IT, TIME UP......

will people be revising in between papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It's actually quite easy to use the pictures on a pre-arranged short story, depending on the short story, mine is a concert essay wich gives it a lot of work around. For exmaple, I changed the start of my essay to suit on of the pictures of a past LC with a builder destroying the wall he was standing on, it was my summer job, and yes, it can be that weak of a link. though it's a good idea to state your link at the start, for example:

The entire day had been building up to this, throughout work I had been distracted, checking watch every five minutes, as I walked down the stairs with the tools, my boss called me over:

What's up Ste? You're looking a little lost...

Etc.
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I am actually hoping for Eliot now, fairly confident he will be on. Yeats or Montague would be ok though.

Advertisement