Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of mind

Options
  • 23-05-2007 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else drastically changed their course? I am thinking of changing either to general science or else pure english! i.e Have no clue what I want to do!:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Yeah I changed my first choice from Multimedia in CIT to Law in UCC. Added some Arts-tastic Trinity courses as my 8th-10th preferences too. Just for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I have Computer Science first and have been thinking of it since 4th year but also was thinking MSISS (management science information system studies) and that nearly got first but I think I am certain on wanting CS now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Nehpets wrote:
    I have Computer Science first and have been thinking of it since 4th year but also was thinking MSISS (management science information system studies) and that nearly got first but I think I am certain on wanting CS now

dont want 2 go off topic but what are career prospects of computer science . thinking of changing it to num 1 and taking off comp applications in DCU. why are the points so low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Go find JC 2K3- belive me you will regret asking that question!lol

Well I obviously can't answer that very well, but search RTE news with "computer science". Apparently job prospects will be very good by 2012 and there will be a serious lack of CS graduates. And outsourcing is only applied to the lower end jobs.

The points system works on poularity and space available. For example theorectical physics is mid 400s in TCD but only 16 places are available (I think!). CS is mid 300s but 40 places are available (again I think). Points are low 300s for UCD, they have 60 places.

CA in DCU looks good too. I have it down as my tenth choice because it would be too awkward for me to get to DCU every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nehpets wrote:
    I have it down as my tenth choice because it would be too awkward for me to get to DCU every morning.

Jesus. And heres me thinking the 40 odd mile trip to Limerick was preferable to the 100 odd mile trip to Dublin.

Well if I drove, it would be easier, but I don't drive. Why would I choose a college that is harder to get to?

here's those links

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0127/technology.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0623/science.html

(from 2006 as you can see)

Meh, you lads in the pale have it easy compared to us country folk. Do you know how long it takes a donkey and cart to get to Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

cson wrote:
    Meh, you lads in the pale have it easy compared to us country folk. Do you know how long it takes a donkey and cart to get to Limerick?
    Pfft. We're the pinnacle of culchie technology in Donegal with our masseys. :p

And I wouldn't call it a drastic change, but I put a business course in at number 4 in case I've a change of heart come August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

And I wouldn't call it a drastic change, but I put a business course in at number 4 in case I've a change of heart come August.

What do you mean by that? You'll be unlikely to get it at all if its number four.

I changed from Arts in UCC to Law and French.

• Advertisement

Bonjour avocat, au revoir le dessin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I've been switching around between CA and CS, also engineering in DCU and TCD. Settled now on engineering in DCU.

Oh, and CA has 150 places, I don't know where 40 came from... The points are three hundred as a minimum requirement, the places haven't actually been filled in years (or perhaps ever I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

dan719 wrote:
    Has anyone else drastically changed their course? I am thinking of changing either to general science or else pure english! i.e Have no clue what I want to do!:o
    Wow, I thought you were dead set on TP.
    dont want 2 go off topic but what are career prospects of computer science . thinking of changing it to num 1 and taking off comp applications in DCU. why are the points so low
    http://www.chooseit.ie/
    CA in DCU is more practical, CS is more theoretical.

For me, one of the main reasons I chose CS over CA is that TCD is closer to me. I also thought the lecture at th TCD Open Day was really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

cson wrote:

Oui oui, bien sur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I changed from LIT to NUIM, big difference in location.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Changed from theoretical physics in TCD to general science in NUIM........but dan already knows that.....we had a discussion about this before!So you're coming around to my way of thinking dan?:)

cocoa wrote:
    Oh, and CA has 150 places, I don't know where 40 came from... The points are three hundred as a minimum requirement, the places haven't actually been filled in years (or perhaps ever I think)

I'm not exactly sure where you got 40 places for CA either. I said CS :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

There will always be jobs for CS graduates. I'd elaborate but I'm too lazy to

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

cson wrote:

Les lettres is arts
    Le dessin is art

Nehpets wrote:
    The points system works on poularity and space available. For example theorectical physics is mid 400s in TCD but only 16 places are available (I think!). CS is mid 300s but 40 places are available (again I think). Points are low 300s for UCD, they have 60 places.

Odd, TP was 35 places when I was in it 4/5 years ago (and if anything, it would have gone up!) :p

It is also one of the courses which swings dramatically year on year, given the limited number of places. Year before I got in it was 535, and it dropped to 495* in my year...

MSISS has a helluva reputation, btw.

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction, I was just using those numbers from what I remembered when reading.

Reputation? Good or bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

lemansky wrote:
    Changed from theoretical physics in TCD to general science in NUIM........but dan already knows that.....we had a discussion about this before!So you're coming around to my way of thinking dan?:)

Sorry about delay in posting-yes I am! Damn you and your logic!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

dan719 wrote:
    Sorry about delay in posting-yes I am! Damn you and your logic!lol
    I knew you'd come over to the darkside....or at least consider it:D

Sorry TP in TCD has 35 places, and in UCD it is 16 places (average). So my other post should say UCD not TCD

Advertisement