Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake on Lan

Options
  • 23-05-2007 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Can a pc be set to wake up if another pc on the network requests something from it?

i only want the mediacenter to wake
    when i turn on my xbox extender
    when i vnc into it from main pc
    when a copy a downloaded film to its shared drive

if i set it to wake on lan it will only standby for about 3-4 mins
    if i set it to wake on magic packet it cannot be woken from the extender

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Yes it can.

Usually set up in the Bios. Have a look at your settings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What do you mean by it will only standby for 3 -4 minutes if you set it to wake on LAN?

Do you mean when computer shut down, it will always wake 3 - 4 minutes after? Or do you mean it wakes and stays on for 3 -4 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Webmonkey wrote:
    What do you mean by it will only standby for 3 -4 minutes if you set it to wake on LAN?

Do you mean when computer shut down, it will always wake 3 - 4 minutes after? Or do you mean it wakes and stays on for 3 -4 minutes

it will always wake 3 - 4 minutes after suspending if its set to wake on lan, presume the roupter is interigating its NIC

Yes it can.

Usually set up in the Bios. Have a look at your settings there.

i can enable or disable WOL in bios, the more advanced settings are in the cards hardware properties, but like i said plain wol the pc won't rest, and in directed packet the xbox can't wake it

the only way i can get it to work is to set it to wake on link change, and install a seperate NIC and cable for each client

Don't suppose you can choose what MAC address to wake up on? Essentially i believe thats what is included in the magic packets?

Ok I've an idea.

Right the way WOL works is it listens for the magic packet (a broadcast packet) on the broadcast address for that specfic LAN.

So the idea here is you want your PC, the XBox or what ever devices all on the same Broadcast domain.
    So to do this as far as i know you need a router to split the broadcast domain but this works on Network layer so I amn't too sure how that works with the network card when the PC is off. Does it still hold IP/subnet information?
    Another option is to do Virtual LANs (VLANS) on a switch and assign the ports you want to be in same broadcast domain onto a specific VLAN number but then id imagine you'd want to invest in a switch that supports this and I wouldn't say they be cheap.

Just a few ideas.

Edit- Found this: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/147739.aspx

Looks interesting. Maybe your NIC has the Wake on Ping option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Webmonkey wrote:
    Ok I've an idea.

Right the way WOL works is it listens for the magic packet (a broadcast packet) on the broadcast address for that specfic LAN.

So the idea here is you want your PC, the XBox or what ever devices all on the same Broadcast domain.
    So to do this as far as i know you need a router to split the broadcast domain but this works on Network layer so I amn't too sure how that works with the network card when the PC is off. Does it still hold IP/subnet information?
    Another option is to do Virtual LANs (VLANS) on a switch and assign the ports you want to be in same broadcast domain onto a specific VLAN number but then id imagine you'd want to invest in a switch that supports this and I wouldn't say they be cheap.

Just a few ideas.

Edit- Found this: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/147739.aspx

Looks interesting. Maybe your NIC has the Wake on Ping option.

wake on ping!, think thats what i am looking for, if i dont have it i'll by a card that does, thanks :)

No probs :)

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement