Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devin Townsend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭billycox

Totally agree, the mans a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

billycox wrote:
    Totally agree, the mans a legend.

Yeah, but oddly, not much appreciation shown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Yeah, but oddly, not much appreciation shown here.

sad but true.

the amount of quality he outputs isn't reflected at all in fan appreciation.

anyway, i think synchestra is his best work to date (imo)... better then anything syl has done (not that syl has done anything sub-par though!). it's sex for your ears :D

devy wevy poo for president!

Yeah, I'm still listening to Synchestra on repeat today, it really is awesome. Although it's odd, I didn't listen to it all that much when I first got it, it's seemed to have really grown on me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

havent heard of him before, but thats pretty good. Has he gigged in ireland before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

of course he broke up SYL and his solo stuff quite recently; interesting to see what happens next. Dev is the Skullet King

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Alucard II wrote:
    of course he broke up SYL and his solo stuff quite recently; interesting to see what happens next. Dev is the Skullet King
    yea skullet, BIG TIME. I liked some of the stuff on alien when i listened to it ages ago, other stuff iw asnt so much a fan of. Love is still deffinatly one of the best songs EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

He's done some awesome stuff alright. Wouldn't mind seein him live

Yeah, big pity he broke up the bands, but he's still created an incredible portfolio of good music, the likes of which most bands couldn't dream of.

I'm waiting on Ziltoid to be delivered now.

Synchestra is still in the CD drive, on repeat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I was actually going to say that syl seemed very samey from what I had heard...then I listened to the first song. Its pretty fricking brilliant, definitely upped my opinion of Townsend and his projects. Good show Karl!

• Advertisement

I was actually going to say that syl seemed very samey from what I had heard...then I listened to the first song. Its pretty fricking brilliant, definitely upped my opinion of Townsend and his projects. Good show Karl!

Aye, SYL was always about full-on heaviness, so it's hardly going to be varied. His solo stuff / Devin Townsend Band is a lot more varied, and more prog orientated.

There's still a lot of his stuff I haven't got yet, or even heard yet, such as his ambient Devlab stuff. I need to get ahold of a lot of his solo albums, as I don't have Terria, Physicist and Infinity yet, aswell as SYL's The New Black, City and Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing.

I can't wait to hear Ziltoid The Omniscient, as it supposedly sounds somewhere between SYL and DTB.

Here's some classic Devy though:

He was only 19 when he recorded with Steve Vai, there.

Older Solo work:

And this was the first thing I'd ever heard that Devy did:

I do remember hating that the first time I saw it though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

A track from Epicloud. And I must say, Devin is a graceful dancer. <3

Advertisement