Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed test - legal now or after license?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Am I legally allowed to drive on my own now with my driving test pass cert ... or is it not official til the D License comes out in the post after I apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It is not official until you receive it. A Certificate of Competency just entitles you to apply for the licence - that is not the same as having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So I should still have L-plates on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

ciaranfo wrote:
    So I should still have L-plates on the car?
    Is it a B or a D licence you are talking about because I just noticed you said D licence above?

If it is a B licence I would presume considering you do not have a full licence yet that you would obey the rules of the licence you do have i.e. the provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mods - please move to here.

@axer
    "D License" was my shorthand for "Driving License", sorry for the confusion.

B License .. a normal car is what I'm applying for.

• Advertisement

I fear if I make another thread I'll get myself banned .... so I'll ask another question here :D

My cert says I can drive cat B. Being able to tow a trailer is EB apparently - does this mean I'd need to sit another test?

Do I need to sit another test to tick A1/A/EB/M/W on my application?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

ciaranfo wrote:
    I fear if I make another thread I'll get myself banned .... so I'll ask another question here :D

My cert says I can drive cat B. Being able to tow a trailer is EB apparently - does this mean I'd need to sit another test?

You will need to sit and pass your test in any relevant catagory of driving licence you wish to drive, Ciaran; that includes driving any class of vehicle with trailers.

To answer your first question, you only hold a full driving licence from the date that you hold it in your hand; however you will find that the licence should be back dated to when your certificate of compentcy was issued. Get yourself into your local licencing office ASAP in order to get it sorted out and don't take any chances until you get it; ie no Motorway driving or accompanying learner drivers etc. You may find though that your insurer may take your certificate in order to lower your preminum so get it up to them as well.

ciaranfo wrote:
    It depends on the weight of the trailer and the weight of the drawing vehicle. It's a bit complicated. If the trailer is above a certain weight, you will require a valid licence. If you apply for a provisional EB licence, you will be legally obliged to be accompanied by a person with a full EB licence.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    A B licence will automatically cover you for M and W. (They don't have to be marked on your licence/Certificate of Competency).

One test required for category A but restricted power for 2 years following test (open to correction on this).

Hamndegger wrote:
    You will need to sit and pass your test in any relevant catagory of driving licence you wish to drive, Ciaran; that includes driving any class of vehicle with trailers.
    With the exception of categories E+D and E+D1 if the person applying has a full D/D1 and a full E+C/E+C1. They are granted E+D/E+D1 without a test. ;)

Road Traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999

30. (1) An application by a person for a driving licence shall be accompanied by a certificate of competency where the application relates to a category or categories without limitation or to a specified type of vehicle belonging to a category in respect of which the applicant is not or was not for any period within the period of ten years preceding the date of application the holder of a driving licence issued by the competent authority of a Member State of the European Communities or of the European Economic Area.

(2) Notwithstanding sub-article (1) of this article a certificate of competency shall not be required to be submitted with an application for a driving licence where—
    (a) the application—

(i) is made by a person who holds, or held at some time within the period of one year preceding the date of application, a driving licence issued by a State declared by the Minister to be a recognised State for the purposes of these Regulations and who surrenders such licence to the licensing authority with the application,

(ii) relates to a category or categories without limitation, or to a specified type of vehicle belonging to a category, in respect of which the applicant holds such licence, and

(iii) is accompanied by a statement by the applicant that such licence is a genuine licence, or

(b) the applicant is a person who as a member of the Defence Forces as defined by the Defence Act, 1954 (No. 18 of 1954) within a period of five years prior to the date of application held a permit issued by the Director Cavalry Corps or the Director Supply and Transport Corps to drive vehicles of the category to which the application relates and whose application is accompanied by a certificate by either such Director that the applicant is competent to drive vehicles of that category, or

(c) the applicant is a person who as a member of the Garda Síochána within a period of five years prior to the date of application held a certificate issued by or on behalf of the Assistant Commissioner (Training) in the Garda Síochána to drive vehicles of the category to which the application relates and whose application is accompanied by a certificate by or on behalf of the said Assistant Commissioner that the person is competent to drive vehicles of that category, or

(d) the application relates to vehicles in a category set out in column 1 of the following Table and the conditions set out in column 2 of the Table opposite the mention in column 1 of that category are complied with.

ED
    The applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category D and

(a) the application is accompanied by a certificate of competency in respect of vehicles in category EC, or

(b) the applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category EC.

ED1
    The applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category D1 and—

(a) the application is accompanied by a certificate of competency in respect of vehicles in category EC or EC1, or

(b) the applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category EC or EC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I passed my test in December and the guy said that I could take my L-Plates down but NOT drive on a motorway until I had my official license.

When I went to apply for the license they gave me a letter to show the Garda if I was pulled over before it arrived in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd imagine you're legal after you hand your provisional licence into the tax office. Between then and receiving your licence in the post, you're probably the same status as someone renewing their full licence and who has to show a receipt if they're stopped.

By the way, I remember the Rules of the road were very specific before about provisional licence+competency cert not being the same thing as a full licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It depends on the weight of the trailer and the weight of the drawing vehicle. It's a bit complicated. If the trailer is above a certain weight, you will require a valid licence. If you apply for a provisional EB licence, you will be legally obliged to be accompanied by a person with a full EB licence.

A B licence will automatically cover you for M and W. (They don't have to be marked on your licence/Certificate of Competency).

One test required for category A but restricted power for 2 years following test (open to correction on this).

With the exception of categories E+D and E+D1 if the person applying has a full D/D1 and a full E+C/E+C1. They are granted E+D/E+D1 without a test. ;)

Road Traffic (Licencing of Drivers) Regulations 1999

30. (1) An application by a person for a driving licence shall be accompanied by a certificate of competency where the application relates to a category or categories without limitation or to a specified type of vehicle belonging to a category in respect of which the applicant is not or was not for any period within the period of ten years preceding the date of application the holder of a driving licence issued by the competent authority of a Member State of the European Communities or of the European Economic Area.

(2) Notwithstanding sub-article (1) of this article a certificate of competency shall not be required to be submitted with an application for a driving licence where—
    (a) the application—

(i) is made by a person who holds, or held at some time within the period of one year preceding the date of application, a driving licence issued by a State declared by the Minister to be a recognised State for the purposes of these Regulations and who surrenders such licence to the licensing authority with the application,

(ii) relates to a category or categories without limitation, or to a specified type of vehicle belonging to a category, in respect of which the applicant holds such licence, and

(iii) is accompanied by a statement by the applicant that such licence is a genuine licence, or

(b) the applicant is a person who as a member of the Defence Forces as defined by the Defence Act, 1954 (No. 18 of 1954) within a period of five years prior to the date of application held a permit issued by the Director Cavalry Corps or the Director Supply and Transport Corps to drive vehicles of the category to which the application relates and whose application is accompanied by a certificate by either such Director that the applicant is competent to drive vehicles of that category, or

(c) the applicant is a person who as a member of the Garda Síochána within a period of five years prior to the date of application held a certificate issued by or on behalf of the Assistant Commissioner (Training) in the Garda Síochána to drive vehicles of the category to which the application relates and whose application is accompanied by a certificate by or on behalf of the said Assistant Commissioner that the person is competent to drive vehicles of that category, or

(d) the application relates to vehicles in a category set out in column 1 of the following Table and the conditions set out in column 2 of the Table opposite the mention in column 1 of that category are complied with.

ED
    The applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category D and

(a) the application is accompanied by a certificate of competency in respect of vehicles in category EC, or

(b) the applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category EC.

ED1
    The applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category D1 and—

(a) the application is accompanied by a certificate of competency in respect of vehicles in category EC or EC1, or

(b) the applicant holds a driving licence in respect of vehicles in category EC or EC1.

I stand corrected by all those articulated coach drivers:D

Thanks a lot for the info lads. Gonna get this app sent in today :)

Hamndegger wrote:
    I stand corrected by all those articulated coach drivers:D
    LOL :D

(An articulated bus can be driven on a standard D licence as the "trailer" is not detachable and the bus is driven by the rearmost axle ;))

Advertisement