Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Test thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

DUBLIN

249445938.png

ibb ribwave 512kb / 128kb

will post one during the day aswell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

But that's in your college, there's no way you could get that residential, unless you pay way too much money for about 10 connections

It's 3. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 26dublin

Mines "Clearwire" 2mb supposedly,ive just ordered ntl 3mb does that mean itll be 6 mb??249629091.png

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

NTL 3mg here in Waterford, soon to upgraded to 6mg foc

249638217.png

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Its me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Getting decent download speed from chorus/ntl 3mb
    Pity about the upload speed

249656979.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'm on UTV 3mb but I am getting this today!!!

250287790.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats an error, thast over 24 meg, no way is that right.

yeah clearly it is an error... I have done it five or six times... look at it now:eek::

250293260.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

woooo232 wrote: »
    yeah clearly it is an error... I have done it five or six times... look at it now:

Have you closed the page down and re-opend it.
    Also try with a diffrent broswer.

Also do a dowload of something big and let us know your speed.

lol wish it was me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

See what speed you get from this

god's toy wrote: »
    Have you closed the page down and re-opend it.
    Also try with a diffrent broswer.

Also do a dowload of something big and let us know your speed.

lol wish it was me!

It just must be a wierd mistake... I have tried turning off the computer and all... now it is up to:

250360371.png
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    See what speed you get from this

A measly 1.75 meg :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

woooo232 wrote: »
    A measly 1.75 meg :(

Blacknight is far more accurate, it always shows a slightly slower speed than speedtest. Only true way to test average speed is to start a download from a fast server, like this, pick an irish server and see what average speed in KB/s your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

5Mb from Smart:
    248112372.png
    Happy here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

BT 2MB - and this is a good result - the result 5 minutes ago was 731 DL/58 UL, and that's pretty much the norm - not what I should be getting, right??

250770471.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Working from Lab at home today, Metro Limerick, 10Mbps
    251163787.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

251201084.png
    I'm on 2mb package, why is my upload so bad- it used to be at the normal 215kb/s. I tried taking out all the filters and plugging it directly into the socket but it didn't make a difference. Line attenuation is 48 (was 46) and snr is 14.00 (used to be 28 with the old router).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ironleg

rc28 wrote: »
    251201084.png
    I'm on 2mb package, why is my upload so bad- it used to be at the normal 215kb/s. I tried taking out all the filters and plugging it directly into the socket but it didn't make a difference. Line attenuation is 48 (was 46) and snr is 14.00 (used to be 28 with the old router).

SNR Margin and line attenuation do vary among the DSL modems

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

BT guy fixed mine woohoo!

251263266.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

251851996.png

*sigh*

I live in west Clare and it's a satellite connection (i.e there is an actual satellite dish on the roof and there is a cable leading to my PC.) Would the ISP be able to speed it up if I asked? I'm looking for a comparison so I can see how crappy my connection is. :(

Do test here.
    http://www.speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Smart Telecom Holdings does not provide satelite based internet.

Are you sure, you're not talking about a wireless provider, that is backhauling via Smart Fiber ?

Wireless is not Satelite !!!

Define where in West Clare and which provider you are using, otherwise other people with the same provider can't give you comparing results.

Also, you'll find speedtests from other providers here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055097216

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There's an ongoing speedtest thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055097216

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Marlow wrote: »

Afaik they do as part of the schools contract they won but I haven't heard of them selling directly to home users. Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Is this good??lol :eek::D

251884644.png

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Afaik they do as part of the schools contract they won but I haven't heard of them selling directly to home users. Open to correction though.

Those wouldn't come up as Smart Telecom Holdings to my knowledge, but Heanet, as every school broadband thing get's VPN'ed and managed by them and then filtered for content.

/Martin

Are you sure, you're not talking about a wireless provider, that is backhauling via Smart Fiber ?

Wireless is not Satelite !!!

Define where in West Clare and which provider you are using, otherwise other people with the same provider can't give you comparing results.

Also, you'll find speedtests from other providers here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055097216

/Martin

Aye, you are right about all of that :o

my dish is like this.
    27RD.jpg

I am in Kilmihil in West Clare.

my dish is like this.

I am in Kilmihil in West Clare.

Canopy is fixed wireless, not satelite, quite a difference. You should actually be able to get decent speeds and latency on a connection like that, depending on your provider and what package they've sold you.

Based on your location and the equipment used, you're probably with either Clare Broadband or FAI.

What package are you paying for ?

/Martin

Canopy is fixed wireless, not satelite, quite a difference. You should actually be able to get decent speeds and latency on a connection like that, depending on your provider and what package they've sold you.

Based on your location and the equipment used, you're probably with either Clare Broadband or FAI.

What package are you paying for ?

/Martin

I am paying 40E a month to computer company called KKComputing in Kilrush, Co.Clare.

• Advertisement

I am paying 40E a month to computer company called KKComputing in Kilrush, Co.Clare.

Unfortunatly that still doesn't tell anybody, what your broadband package should deliver.

K&K Computers don't list any broadband on their website, so to know, if you are getting what you're paying for, you need to know, what you bought in the first place, ie. what speed and contention the package is, that you're paying for.

/Martin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement