Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

texting other networks worldwide

• 23-05-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

im on meteor. Ive just found out that you can only text networks around the world that has an agreement with meteor? I found this out as I was texting a Finnish network and they were not getting any of my texts! Yet I was charged for each of my texts!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Get an O2 speakeasy SIM; send to Finland and elsewhere online. 250 free ones a month. Yay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

snaps wrote:
    im on meteor. Ive just found out that you can only text networks around the world that has an agreement with meteor? I found this out as I was texting a Finnish network and they were not getting any of my texts! Yet I was charged for each of my texts!!!

Every network has to have these agreements with other networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

you gave me good idea. I have an old o2 pay as you go. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

BuffyBot wrote:
    Every network has to have these agreements with other networks.

That's something I bet most people don't know! They could be texting away to their heart's content to a foreign network and their text might be going nowhere!

If people would use delivery reports, then they would know as they'd see 'message failed'. Never been able to understand those that don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have a bigger issue that you are charged when it doesn't get delivered. 3 used to have no agreement with vodafone or O2 in the UK. I'd be texting friends who never got the messages yet was still charged for it. 3 must know the message didn't get there so I'm sure they could rectify this if they cared to.

culabula wrote:
    If people would use delivery reports, then they would know as they'd see 'message failed'. Never been able to understand those that don't.

Actually I've found in the past that you don't always get receipts when you're texting foreign networks even when the message gets through! In fact I've even (and often!) found that with Irish networks at times too (o2 and meteor for example) so they're not foolproof unfortunately.

paulm17781 wrote:
    I have a bigger issue that you are charged when it doesn't get delivered. 3 used to have no agreement with vodafone or O2 in the UK. I'd be texting friends who never got the messages yet was still charged for it. 3 must know the message didn't get there so I'm sure they could rectify this if they cared to.

I agree. That's a total disgrace and got me annoyed when the OP told her/his story.

Rockson wrote:
    Actually I've found in the past that you don't always get receipts when you're texting foreign networks even when the message gets through! In fact I've even (and often!) found that with Irish networks at times too (o2 and meteor for example) so they're not foolproof unfortunately.

That's news to me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rockson wrote:

I always use delivery reports and I can't remember a single incident where I didn't get one.

• Advertisement

10 years ago they might have been flaky or there could have been massive delays due to my unashamed and pioneering abuse of every SMSC in the known GSM world but since 1996.....nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

culabula wrote:
    10 years ago they might have been flaky or there could have been massive delays due to my unashamed and pioneering abuse of every SMSC in the known GSM world but since 1996.....nah.

I've seen this too, you text a foreign network and don't get a report. I don't use them anymore but I saw this in 2003 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Does anyone else feel aggrieved that a call from 3 to the UK is included in your minutes but a text incurrs a €0.25 charge?

I know it is set out in their Ts&Cs but I thought it would be cheaper for them to provide the text service than voice. And the very fact that someone has a friend in the UK to phone on their mobile it would suggest there is a requirement for text as well!

Advertisement