Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impending domestic water charges, no mention in election?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just remembered that Ireland is due to introduce domestic water charges in the lifetime of the next govt by 2010 and yet not one political party has mentioned it once in the election campaign.

Are the parties afraid of alienating voters by mentioning the dirty W word as the history of domestic water charges has been unfavourable??

Considering that a few councils are struggling to meet water needs and some have pollution issues, surely this issue would of been a priority on the agenda as we have uncontrolled usage with an ever expanding population?

From http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:INYF2gzAngEJ:www.euractiv.com/en/environment/eu-freshwater-policies/article-162260+ireland+water+eu+directive+2010&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=ie&client=firefox-a
    EU wrote:
    By 2010, the directive also requires member states to impose a water pricing policy in order to encourage consumers to use water resources more efficiently. Pricing policies are also meant to recover the costs of water services, including those relating to the environment and the use of resources. Although pricing policies are established in many EU states, others have no tradition of water pricing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Yeah, I haven't heard a single mention of anything related to improving water infrastructure (like the wasteful water delivery system or full-to-bursting sewage plants) -it's not really a vote getter.

As far as the charges go, I'd be broadly in favour of them - if they were pitched at the annoyance level that worked well for plastic bags. Any higher and I'd get a bit pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Open Window

As long as they lace it with flouride I will refuse to pay and should we all expect the same standards most of our EU brothers & sisters enjoy.

http://www.nofluoride.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

More importantly, none of the media outlets mentioned it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

AFAIR one of my local independents mentioned it in the bumf.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Were any of the big parties actually opposed to water charges?
    No Joe higgins now to voice opposition in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

clown bag wrote:
    Were any of the big parties actually opposed to water charges?
    No Joe higgins now to voice opposition in the Dail.
    Sad sad day :(

Advertisement