Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering Wheel Rattle

Options
  • 23-05-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an e46 and i have felt the steering wheel rattle a bit over the past week, its like it shakes for a few seconds at different times and then completely disappears. any idea what could be wrong?

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tony255 wrote:
    Hi,

I have an e46 and i have felt the steering wheel rattle a bit over the past week, its like it shakes for a few seconds at different times and then completely disappears. any idea what could be wrong?

Tony

Do you mean vibration? Does it do it at a particular speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

If its at high speed, it's more than likely either you need to get your wheels balanced or you've a warped wheel (if they are alloys).

If it's at low speed you may have a warped disc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi Tony,

When does the steering wheel rattle?? is it when your breaking?? going over uneven ground?? As said above if it happens at certain speeds when driving it could be balancing... I once drove over a piece of road that had been re-done, and picked up a nice bet of wet tar on my tire, it was a nightmare to get off...

if it happens when your breaking, it could well be your front discs need changing the E46 is quite hard on them... do you know when they were changed last?

If the front disks are ok, the next thing i would do would be to look at the front suspension components... this will need to have the front of the car lifted safely, and someone with a good eye to look it over... the reason is the amount of force you can apply by hand to these components is a fraction of the forces when driving, so the play that shows up on inspection would be minimal.

You should also check for play in the steering column... There's a rubber bushing 1/2 down the steering column that should be checked... On RHD cars there is an issue, the steering column is run between the exhaust manifold and the wheel arch (this is on the case on the LHD variants ), the excessive heat can cause the rubber bush to degrade....

Let us know how you get on...

Advertisement