Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just thinkin

Options
  • 24-05-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

I saw a intresting idea in a German gun mag.They have a colum called the pear of the month.Pear in German is Birne.Which is also a slang for being soft in the head.
    It is a response to any stupid things done by politicos,media,police etc against the shooting community.
    Now, no doubt we cant wont run such in the ISD or on the boards here.
    But supposing we monitor all the politicans,media ,supers etc.For the most anti gun ,anti shooting comments,actions they produce per year,and at Christmas deliver to them a TURKEY! A LIVE Turkey!! With a note of congratulation as being voted by Irish gunowners as the namesake of said bird for their anti gunownership/shooting stance over the year.

Somone was suggesting a march of protest.Wouldnt this be a better media PR attention getting stunt? Ol Mac Dowell being interviewed with his Xmas turkey under his arm would get media attention all right,and a good laugh from us all.:D
    Just an idea,when one is hitting the Jack Daniels,and has nothing better to do.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Ok .. I'll Bite !

Explain the comments on the firearm involved in this.... :confused:
    (From today's Independent )
    Inquest told how man shot himself on way to robbery

Wednesday May 23 2007

A MAN on his way to commit a robbery accidentally shot himself in the head after the stolen car he was in jolted as it went over a speed bump, writes Breda Heffernan.

Victor Murphy (30) from Deanstown Green, Finglas, Dublin, is thought to have had a sawn-off shotgun resting between his legs in the car and with his thumb on the trigger when the weapon suddenly discharged on the night of July 8/9, 2003.

Gardai believe there was one other man, who is now also deceased, in the car with Mr Murphy at the time.

Mr Murphy's body was found the next morning dumped at the side of the road on Dunsink Lane in Finglas, an inquest into his death heard yesterday.

The car they were travelling in, a stolen Mitsubishi Lancer, was later found abandoned on nearby Berryfield Road with Mr Murphy's blood on the front passenger seat, brain tissue on the rear window and a shotgun cartridge lying between the front seats.

'No shotgun that is cut down can be what you would call a safe shotgun'

Det Insp Brian Sherry told Dublin City Coroner's Court that because the shotgun had been sawn-off, it was more unstable.

"When people saw them off too short it can interfere with the mechanism of the gun and make it unstable and accidentally discharge. . . No shotgun that is cut down can be what you would call a safe shotgun.

"We never recovered that firearm but we are satisfied from our own experience that if a firearm is cut down it can interfere with the mechanism," he added.

State Pathologist Prof Marie Cassidy told how she visited the scene in Dunsink Lane where Mr Murphy's body had been dumped. She said that the position of the body indicated he had been placed there.

Prof Cassidy gave the cause of death as haemorrhage and brain damage due to a shotgun injury to the head.

The jury returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

Eh..? ... Barrel length has the effect of making firearms "Unstable ".. :confused::confused::confused:
    I suggest that he got his information mixed up where it referred to the projectiles becoming unstable earlier in their flight with less barrel
    to contain it . I.e.. Faster spread of shot.
    Makes you wonder about the level of understanding of firearms and their operation. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

so then.....if i want to lighten my trigger pull.....i just have to take a few inches off the barrell and shorten the butt.......makes sense now....
    Course u know that this is going to put KIdd, jewell etc. out of business.....thank god we have all that expertise over here....now.....where's me hacksaw.....going into business as a gunsmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A few years ago, I heard Paul Williams, 'expert' on all things 'criminal' in this country, being interviewed on the radio.
    He 'expertly' proclaimed about someone getting shot with a "magnum point three five seven inch revolver, a Dirty Harry gun."

Whatever about his lack of movie knowledge (the bold Dirty Harry used a .44 Magnum), you'd think he'd know the correct nomenclature for the 'three fifty seven magnum' calibre.

A person of a cynical disposition might even surmise that the Dirty Harry bit was used as a sensationalist way of referencing the "most powerful handgun in the world" line from the film, but I'm sure that it was used in complete innocence. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Little bit of movie trivia;
    The S&W that Eastwood used in the Dirty Harry films was actually a 41 S&W.
    Apprently due to the fact that the Mod 29 wasnt that easy to aquire for a prop. At the time those films were made in the 70s,the 44mag was proably the "most powerful handgun in the World".Nowadays,it is a bit of a little girl calibre.:)

Hmm,unstable guns by sawing off the barrel according to a Garda:rolleyes:

A bunch of bank robbers that recreate the Pulp Fiction Cadalliac scene,by one idiot having his thumb on the trigger:eek:

A journalist who loves sensationalism not facts on guns.
    The canditate list for the turkey award is starting to look good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I don't think anyone here will be truly surprised to hear our So called experts making statements like that. I just wonder sometimes are these guys really that ill informed or do they purposely spew this crap just to frighten the natives??? Joe public has a bad habit of believing everything that he reads in print.

I personnally have no time whatsoever for Mr williams, that man will print anything to make money. Where does he get all these ridiculus underworld titles he uses?? :confused:

Its believed the deceased is a know associate of underworld kingpin Joe "The Tayto bag" Bloggs

That man has a very fertile imgination which i would be better suit to fiction:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

simular extract in the examiner

the coniner was satisified that it was nto suicide

In car, shotgun between legs, thumb on trigger, barrel under chin...not the best way to drive a car you need two hands, unless its an automatic? but still

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Journalist and sensationalism in the same sentence, you might want to be careful throwing accusations at our champions of truth. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

maglite wrote:
    simular extract in the examiner

the coniner was satisified that it was nto suicide

In car, shotgun between legs, thumb on trigger, barrel under chin...not the best way to drive a car you need two hands, unless its an automatic? but still
    I think he was the passanger. The driver dumped the body, but it was said in the inquest that the guards knew who the drive was and he since died. Basically they went over a speedbump and the guy pulled the trigger on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Seems to be a common issue with our criminal friends - lack of gun safety- I have seen plenty of accidental discharges causing severe injuries ( including castration - never keep a loaded sawn off in your pocket).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Traumadoc wrote:
    Seems to be a common issue with our criminal friends - lack of gun safety- I have seen plenty of accidental discharges causing severe injuries ( including castration - never keep a loaded sawn off in your pocket).

aer we speakin from personal exp doc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yes i suppose it is personal experience - I had a patient who presented with a GSW to the left inner thigh and massive trauma to his scrotum, he initailly claimed that he was the victim of a random attack- Except the forensics of the injury would suggest that it was a sawn off shotgun in his right trouser pocket.
    I must get the xray - I have it somewhere.
    Another patient was in a getaway car and was stuffing the gun down the side of the car seat when he shot himself in the gluteal region.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There was an attempted assassination at a funeral or a horse fair or similar in Ballina or some like place a few years ago, where the escaping shooter handed the pistol to an assistant, who stuffed it down the front of his trousers and proceded to ruin his further potential for procreation.

IIRC, he got done for illegal possession of a firearm too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

sorry im new to this whole board thing and dont know how to start a thread of my own i see you know your guns and the law im going to apply for a sig mosquito and wondering where in dublin or near dublin can i get one iv rang a few place and they cant get me a sig! only tan foglio.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

sorry im new to this whole board thing and dont know how to start a thread of my own i see you know your guns and the law im going to apply for a sig mosquito and wondering where in dublin or near dublin can i get one iv rang a few place and they cant get me a sig! only tan foglio.......
    Sig Mosquito is useless, unless you're ten yards from your target. Walther P22 the same, both are scatterguns, even with a 6" barrel.

Save your money for an accurate pistol, there are plenty around, but more expensive than the Sig or Walther.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

The CZ Kadet seems very good ,
    Typical CZ , it does what it says on the tin.

Or the Hämmerli X-esse at €450'ish, The Browning Buckmark or the Walther KSP200 if you can still get them.

All .22 cal and all very accurate pistols.

You could enter competitions at 25m with any of the above and be able to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

rrpc wrote:
    Or the Hämmerli X-esse at €450'ish

PLEASE let me know where I can buy a new Hammerli x-esse in Ireland for €450 ish, I'm not being facetious, can you tell me where you got that price? They are real tack drivers, I bought one (and sold it again) for waaay more than that. But at that price I'd get another in a heart beat!

G17 wrote:
    rrpc wrote:
    Or the Hämmerli X-esse at €450'ish

PLEASE let me know where I can buy a new Hammerli x-esse in Ireland for €450 ish, I'm not being facetious, can you tell me where you got that price? They are real tack drivers, I bought one (and sold it again) for waaay more than that. But at that price I'd get another in a heart beat!

You won't get one in Ireland, but you can get a dealer to get you one. Failing that you could buy directly from Walther (who own Hämmerli) or Frankonia in Germany who are cheaper at €459
    http://www.frankonia.de/shop//_/search/x-esse/start/1/view/product/window/1/sort/norm/sortiment/Kurzwaffen/so/sortiment/search.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

rrpc wrote:
    G17 wrote:

You won't get one in Ireland, but you can get a dealer to get you one. Failing that you could buy directly from Walther (who own Hämmerli) or Frankonia in Germany who are cheaper at €459
    http://www.frankonia.de/shop//_/search/x-esse/start/1/view/product/window/1/sort/norm/sortiment/Kurzwaffen/so/sortiment/search.html

Thanks for that info.

No problem. I think that price is for the 4" barrel without the anatomical grips.

The X-esse sport with the 6" barrel and anatomical grips is €699.
    aaa120x05.jpg
    Without the anatomical grips it's about €525 (from Varga: euroshooting.eu)

• Advertisement
Advertisement