Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insured on a car for one day/week?

Options
  • 24-05-2007 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Is it possible to get insured on a car for such a short period of time and if so, how much would it cost?

I have a few things to do over the coming weekend but no car. My friend offered me his car if I could get insured on it.

I'm 18 and have a provisional license, is it/would it be possible/realistic to get insured for one day/week?

Thanks,
    ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get your friend to add you as a tempory driver on their policy, don't know how much it'll cost or even if they will do it. But I'd that would be the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Del2005 wrote:
    Get your friend to add you as a tempory driver on their policy, don't know how much it'll cost or even if they will do it. But I'd that would be the best bet.

I agree, I think this is the only way to get short term insurance on a car in your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, get your friend to add you as a named driver to his policy for the duration.

That is the simplest way of doing it assuming his insurance company will take you on. No idea on cost but they may at least charge an administration fee for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've been insured on my mothers car for a few days prior to being added to her policy.
    What i remeber was she rang them up asked could i be added to the policy for a few days, minimum i think was a week which was fine and it cost around 60quid i think.
    Worked out cheaper this way than 5 people bussing it to dublin and back, incl petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Called Quinn on behalf of my friend and they said it starts at €51 and will rise dependent on other factors. I told them my mate would call later so forgot to ask her how much extra it'd be with me being 18 and only having a provisional.

Does anyone have any idea how much extra I can expect to pay?

Thanks,
    ish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement